Gannett layoffs

Trinity alum

Local television coverage has taken over much of what the papers covered regarding local government. Each station has it's own investigative journalism team.

With Facebook, Twitter, and other forms of social media (like this one), my belief is that the government is more exposed to the public than ever before. One step out of line and a person with a cell phone can make it go viral.

I'd love to agree with you, but I've never seen any local station in Louisville do any investigation that wasn't on the coattails of print media. WDRB has been at the front of things on occasion lately, but that's because they hired away all of the C-J's staff to write for their website.

Local television news in Cincinnati has thus far proved to me to be pretty similar to Louisville: not a lot going on from day to day. They're good at reporting on crime, less good about covering city hall.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume because crime reporting tends to draw viewers as well as be less labor-intensive and thus cheaper for stations to produce, but I've never been a news producer so I don't really know.

My thought is if people in the city cared about what was going on at City Hall, it'd be covered. They don't, so they don't.

Media is, just like everything else, about making money. They cover what brings in the eyeballs/$$.

My thought is if people in the city cared about what was going on at City Hall, it'd be covered. They don't, so they don't.

Media is, just like everything else, about making money. They cover what brings in the eyeballs/$$.

They definitely know what brings in the eyeballs, which is why half of any local news broadcast is weather and sports.