Holmes 74 Covington Holy Cross 55

Final from Holmes. First half was best half of basketball Holmes has played this year, it was 38 to 12 at the half. Looked like Holy Cross game plan was feed Knockelman down low, Andrew Wahl picked up two quick fouls that hurt Holy Cross early. Knockelman led Holy Cross is scoring, I know Holmes had at least 3 in double figures. Tico Pouncy left the game and was on crutches, hope the young man is ok. Nice to share the scores table tonight with Baseball Nut, always a good time, also BBallfan was in the house tonight.

Don't blink... Here come the Bulldogs!!!

Sure the narrative all season long for the Bulldogs coming into tonight's game at 4-14 is that it's a down year, or a rebuilding year for first year Coach Brad Carr, but by the way they played tonight you wouldn't know it. Tonight was a big turning of the corner for them.

Early on it looked a bit like the Indians of Holy Cross were suffering from an All 'A' Classic Runner-up hangover, but considering that this was a district seeding game you can't help but wonder why there wasn't a bit more fire up under them.

They looked rather uninspired, but even with them playing below their abilities the Bulldogs looked like downright stars with shots dropping with beautiful accuracy, and many players showing their skill at creating their own shots.

Too was a lot of fast Bulldog hands stealing balls left and right, and scrapping hard for the loose ones. It was apparent right out of the gate that they wanted this game more as they played with solid team effort and poise, as well as lightening fast quickness.

The Cross however suffered from a night full of nothing going. So many missed shots that I saw them connect on in the All 'A' Tourney with pretty decent accuracy. Also was a repeat of their dismal showing from the line.

In no time the Dawgs were up 14-4 and I still figured that adjustments would be made and the gap would tighten, but with Andrew Wahl getting into early foul trouble and Knockelmann not dropping in his point blank contested shots, the Bulldogs just kept on the pedal to end the first quarter up 20-6.

2nd quarter was almost identical in that the Dawgs again won that contest 18-6 going into the locker room with a 38-12 halftime lead.

Jr. Forward Damario Foster spent a night muscling in many paint shots, and many other Bulldogs joined in on the fun. Sr guard Ryan Greene, tallish Jr. Amari Mullins, Sr. Tico Pouncy, Sr. Detrieck Dozier all had their hand in tonight's team excellence, and my apologies for anyone once else I'm missing.

Truly the Bulldogs tonight looked beautiful with all the fantastic shots they were connecting on. It didn't feel like they could miss.

The 3rd period saw the Indians come out with a little more assertiveness and playing a better quarter that saw them win the 3rd 19-17 ending the quarter 55-31 still a mountain to climb to get back in it.

Mid-way through the 3rd period Jeremiah Hicks wad driving to the basket and from where I was sitting it looked like he pushed hard defender Ryan Greene, but there was a no-call when everyone knew someone was guilty of a foul, but tempers started to flair and Greene was hit with a "T" where Coach Carr figured with the lead I'm guessing that he could sit him for the rest of the night to cool off. This seemed to fire up the Indians to play a bit tougher, but still the Dawgs stood their ground even pushing the 4th quarter lead to 30, 68-38.

Little too late, but the Indians kept chipping away winning also the 4th period 24-19.

They played it out with the final being 74-55.

Certainly not what anyone had expected, and especially with the Indians coming off of a fantastic showing in the All 'A' like they were on the rise, but all said and done these Bulldogs showed who was boss by schooling Holy Cross with a good old fashioned 35th District Covington spanking.

It was a pleasure to have the chance to say hello to the ever dedicated @Baseball Nut and @allsport71 who have as much enthusiasm for the game as I do, and do a great job for their respective schools. :thumb:

Presently this is what the 35th District looks like:

CovCath 1-0 (Still to play Holmes and Beechwood)

Beechwood 1-0 (Still to play CovCath and Holy Cross)

Holmes 1-1 (Plays CovCath this Friday)

Holy Cross 0-2 (Still to play Beechwood)

My guess would be all said and done is that the 35th District Tournament will look like....

CovCath vs Holy Cross

Beechwood vs. Holmes

Beechwood only beat Holmes by 10, and these Dawgs could give them an even better game come tourney time.

Edited by B-Ball-fan

I'd be remiss if I didn't wish Tico Pouncy the best of luck with his banged up knee. The pain that he was in when he went down brought me close to tears. He was driving to the basket, and came upon the giant wall that is Pete Knockelmann and slammed right into him, and down he went.

Wishing you a speedy recovery young man, and hopefully it's nothing too serious that a little ice and rest can't correct.

Don't blink... Here come the Bulldogs!!!

Sure the narrative all season long for the Bulldogs coming into tonight's game at 4-14 is that it's a down year, or a rebuilding year for first year Coach Brad Carr, but by the way they played tonight you wouldn't know it. Tonight was a big turning of the corner for them.

Early on it looked a bit like the Indians of Holy Cross were suffering from an All 'A' Classic Runner-up hangover, but considering that this was a district seeding game you can't help but wonder why there wasn't a bit more fire up under them.

They looked rather uninspired, but even with them playing below their abilities the Bulldogs looked like downright stars with shots dropping with beautiful accuracy, and many players showing their skill at creating their own shots.

Too was a lot of fast Bulldog hands stealing balls left and right, and scrapping hard for the loose ones. It was apparent right out of the gate that they wanted this game more as they played with solid team effort and poise, as well as lightening fast quickness.

The Cross however suffered from a night full of nothing going. So many missed shots that I saw them connect on in the All 'A' Tourney with pretty decent accuracy. Also was a repeat of their dismal showing from the line.

In no time the Dawgs were up 14-4 and I still figured that adjustments would be made and the gap would tighten, but with Andrew Wahl getting into early foul trouble and Knockelmann not dropping in his point blank contested shots, the Bulldogs just kept on the pedal to end the first quarter up 20-6.

2nd quarter was almost identical in that the Dawgs again won that contest 18-6 going into the locker room with a 38-12 halftime lead.

Jr. Forward Damario Foster spent a night muscling in many paint shots, and many other Bulldogs joined in on the fun. Sr guard Ryan Greene, tallish Jr. Amari Mullins, Sr. Tico Pouncy, Sr. Detrieck Dozier all had their hand in tonight's team excellence, and my apologies for anyone once else I'm missing.

Truly the Bulldogs tonight looked beautiful with all the fantastic shots they were connecting on. It didn't feel like they could miss.

The 3rd period saw the Indians come out with a little more assertiveness and playing a better quarter that saw them win the 3rd 19-17 ending the quarter 55-31 still a mountain to climb to get back in it.

Mid-way through the 3rd period Jeremiah Hicks wad driving to the basket and from where I was sitting it looked like he pushed hard defender Ryan Greene, but there was a no-call when everyone knew someone was guilty of a foul, but tempers started to flair and Greene was hit with a "T" where Coach Carr figured with the lead I'm guessing that he could sit him for the rest of the night to cool off. This seemed to fire up the Indians to play a bit tougher, but still the Dawgs stood their ground even pushing the 4th quarter lead to 30, 68-38.

Little too late, but the Indians kept chipping away winning also the 4th period 24-19.

They played it out with the final being 74-55.

Certainly not what anyone had expected, and especially with the Indians coming off of a fantastic showing in the All 'A' like they were on the rise, but all said and done these Bulldogs showed who was boss by schooling Holy Cross with a good old fashioned 35th District Covington spanking.

It was a pleasure to have the chance to say hello to the ever dedicated @Baseball Nut and @allsport71 who have as much enthusiasm for the game as I do, and do a great job for their respective schools. :thumb:

Presently this is what the 35th District looks like:

CovCath 1-0 (Still to play Holmes and Beechwood)

Beechwood 1-0 (Still to play CovCath and Holy Cross)

Holmes 1-1 (Plays CovCath this Friday)

Holy Cross 0-2 (Still to play Beechwood)

My guess would be all said and done is that the 35th District Tournament will look like....

CovCath vs Holy Cross

Beechwood vs. Holmes

Beechwood only beat Holmes by 10, and these Dawgs could give them an even better game come tourney time.

Awesome report as always. Thank you.

Great game by Holmes at the Fieldhouse last night. The crowd was a little scarce which I'm not used to for it being a Holy Cross/Holmes game. That being said, the Bulldogs led from start to finish and were the better team last night. I wish my Indians could have played better but it was great to hang out with a few of my Holmes guys at the table all night. Win or lose we have mutual respect for each other.

Allsport71 - Excellent job as always on the PA.

Best of luck the rest of the way! :thumb:

Great game by Holmes at the Fieldhouse last night. The crowd was a little scarce which I'm not used to for it being a Holy Cross/Holmes game. That being said, the Bulldogs led from start to finish and were the better team last night. I wish my Indians could have played better but it was great to hang out with a few of my Holmes guys at the table all night. Win or lose we have mutual respect for each other.

Allsport71 - Excellent job as always on the PA.

Best of luck the rest of the way! :thumb:

Thank you, I guess I am showing my age here, but sure miss the days when I had to announce to please scoot closer together as we have people waiting to get in, this was normal for a Covington Catholic or Holy Cross game, or when the game was at Holy Cross you started getting in line about 4:30 to get a seat, my how times have changed. Hope both teams are playing well come district time and the Bulldog field house will be packed once again.

HC should have never scheduled this all important district seed game immediately following the All A tournament. Beechwood made the same mistake last year, and lost to a Holmes team they should have beaten. Hopefully, neither team will make this mistake again in the future.

Excellent call Ironlung, not sure why this game was scheduled right after the all "A". Not sure how the schedule works but HC was definitely not ready to play and was totally dominated start to finish in all facets of the game. HC was down one starter and Wahl hurt his hand and sat out most of the second half but they weren't going to beat the Bulldogs on this night no matter.

Perhaps the biggest blunder in Holy Cross this season was scheduling this game on this night. Regardless of their outcome Saturday, it was going to be tough to be ready for this game. Playing 3 games in 4 days then having to either come down from the high of winning or the low of losing the All-A championship.

Give credit to the Bulldogs but this loss goes to the coaching staff at Holy Cross and their inept scheduling.

Perhaps the biggest blunder in Holy Cross this season was scheduling this game on this night. Regardless of their outcome Saturday, it was going to be tough to be ready for this game. Playing 3 games in 4 days then having to either come down from the high of winning or the low of losing the All-A championship.

Give credit to the Bulldogs but this loss goes to the coaching staff at Holy Cross and their inept scheduling.

Possibly. Or maybe the lost is because Holmes is simply the better team.

Possibly. Or maybe the lost is because Holmes is simply the better team.

I completely disagree and anyone who saw Holy Cross play last week would most likely agree. After watching them Saturday, I would have put them in the second tier of the region. Last night, Holmes was better.

I completely disagree and anyone who saw Holy Cross play last week would most likely agree. After watching them Saturday, I would have put them in the second tier of the region. Last night, Holmes was better.

Hmmm so since they beat Villa who has a losing record, and beat St. Henry who has a losing record to make the finals of the All A. That shows that they are better than Holmes? Yet Holmes beating Holy Cross by 19 points, and actually being up by 30 on Holy Cross at one point, doesn't show they are better than Holy Cross? Hmmm interesting take...

Hmmm so since they beat Villa who has a losing record, and beat St. Henry who has a losing record to make the finals of the All A. That shows that they are better than Holmes? Yet Holmes beating Holy Cross by 19 points, and actually being up by 30 on Holy Cross at one point, doesn't show they are better than Holy Cross? Hmmm interesting take...

Better last night. If you take both team's resume's, I will take Holy Cross majority of the time. I am not saying 9/10 but in a 7-game series I'd take them. South Oldham, Scott, and St. Henry are better than any wins by Holmes going into last night. I think Carr has done a great job with the Bulldogs and last night I think they outworked and were better than Holy Cross.