Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School Shot Clocks

Featured Replies

I was wondering what people thought about high school adding a shoot clocks. The reason I bring this up is that I was at a game last year where one team got a lead and then just passed the ball around the top of the key with the wheel play for about three minutes in the first quarter then even longer in the second. And don't think it got any better in the second half. And I just think that this type of basketball is embarrasing to the players who have to run the play. It shows no cofdence in your team to actually win the game. So what do you think?

  • Replies 54
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost and someone to man them makes it not a good idea.

 

Plus, it is not needed.

I was wondering what people thought about high school adding a shoot clocks. The reason I bring this up is that I was at a game last year where one team got a lead and then just passed the ball around the top of the key with the wheel play for about three minutes in the first quarter then even longer in the second. And don't think it got any better in the second half. And I just think that this type of basketball is embarrasing to the players who have to run the play. It shows no cofdence in your team to actually win the game. So what do you think?
I think there are enough bad/forced shots taken in high school basketball as it is . We do not need to add fuel to the fire . I vote NO on shot clocks.
I think there are enough bad/forced shots taken in high school basketball as it is . We do not need to add fuel to the fire . I vote NO on shot clocks.

AMEN from the choir.

Well, I think that other changes would have to be made as well, like going to 16 minute halves instead of quarters. I do agree that it would be difficult in the beginning with the cost and having quality personel to man the clock. Being an ex-college official, there would also be an issue with the referees being aware of shot clock type situations. It takes a really good (and I mean better than the best you see night after night in high school) to keep track of game management type situations. I have seen situations where the officials could not even make sure the game clock started, let alone be thinking of two situations with clocks in the same instant (yea, compare this to walking and chewing gum, some just can't get it down)!

 

I used to think it would be a good idea, but since I have changed my position. It would be difficult for most of the people involved. I agree that some of the games need it (I HATE to see stalling and such in games) but the logistics would just be too complicated for most schools.

Well, I think that other changes would have to be made as well, like going to 16 minute halves instead of quarters. I do agree that it would be difficult in the beginning with the cost and having quality personel to man the clock. Being an ex-college official, there would also be an issue with the referees being aware of shot clock type situations. It takes a really good (and I mean better than the best you see night after night in high school) to keep track of game management type situations. I have seen situations where the officials could not even make sure the game clock started, let alone be thinking of two situations with clocks in the same instant (yea, compare this to walking and chewing gum, some just can't get it down)!

 

I used to think it would be a good idea, but since I have changed my position. It would be difficult for most of the people involved. I agree that some of the games need it (I HATE to see stalling and such in games) but the logistics would just be too complicated for most schools.

Getting someone to cover for the boys varsity would not be an issue. For girls varsity, probably not. But JV teams for both boys and girls and then the freshmen teams for both boys and girls would become problem areas.

 

I believe most schools are like mine in that we struggle to get someone good to run the scoreboard/clock for freshmen games, let alone looking for a 2nd person.

everybody said the same thing about the 3pt. line. Cost of painting the floor etc. The High school game should have what the college game has. Bring it on. 35 second clock would be great. Schools will adapt as will the players.

Would force teams to play instead of stall. Would reward good defensive play as well. College teams still play deliberate and use all the clock but just for 35 seconds instead of minutes. :flame:

  • Author

Are girls team played in a tournment last year that used a shot clock and they all seemed to love it. They did say it took a little while to get use to but it did make the game more fun. I also can see the other side with the incomptence of some of the refs out there. I also noticed in some of the newer gyms they are starting to put shot clocks in even if they do not use them yet.

I think there should be a shot clock in high school. Like somebody said earlier it would reward good defense and keep teams from stalling the ball.

Stalling the ball for anything more than the last minute of the game is not good basketball. Trying to keep the ball from the other team an entire game because your team is not as good is to me being a coward. A 40 second shot clock would work in high school and I agree that teams and coaches would adapt.

I think you could count on one hand the number of games that this would truly effect in a season.

I think that the stall ball plan of attack is boring, but if it gets the job done, then why not do it. It doesn't show that you are a coward, but rather that you are trying to win the game by executing a gameplan that gives you the best opportunity to win... That said, I agree that I hate to watch games where this is used.

Stall ball is boring but so is running the ball 95% of the time in football. If we are going to make a decision on the strategy of a game based upon excitement, then let's limit how many running plays and offensive team can run in football.

 

I disgree with both.

A shot clock would be fine.

Adapt to the game.

 

Plus, it would prepare kids for college ball since it is used there.

 

 

Are there shot clocks in AAU??

A shot clock would be fine.

Adapt to the game.

 

Plus, it would prepare kids for college ball since it is used there.

 

 

Are there shot clocks in AAU??

Not in any I have been a part of.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.