High School Shot Clocks

Are girls team played in a tournment last year that used a shot clock and they all seemed to love it. They did say it took a little while to get use to but it did make the game more fun. I also can see the other side with the incomptence of some of the refs out there. I also noticed in some of the newer gyms they are starting to put shot clocks in even if they do not use them yet.

The reason why High Schools are putting them in are because if they get a college game scheduled, the college teams will have them. They do not put them up there for high school teams or for show.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO rather than changing rules, interpertation of rules should be addressed. The new brand of refereeing allow players to palm the basketball and travel with the ball while making offensive moves. Also the physicality of play has escalated to a point of organized brawls on the court. I guess I am old school, but I have a hard time watching the game as it is played today.

Stall ball is boring but so is running the ball 95% of the time in football. If we are going to make a decision on the strategy of a game based upon excitement, then let's limit how many running plays and offensive team can run in football.

I disgree with both.

The difference being that in football the team has a set amount of time to run a play. A football team can't just play ball control to keep their opponent from gaining possession until very late in the game. During the game they must continue to get positive yardage to maintain possession.

I am of two minds on this. I appreciate the ability for a team to play a patient, ball control offense. I also apreciate a team that plays agressive defense and is able to keep an offense from getting a good shot off. A team that is able to play solid defense for a certain period of time should be rewarded.

I would like to see a 59 second shot clock in high school. That is enough time that is doesn't force a team to rush even if they are pressed and almost caught in the back court for 10 seconds. It also rewards the defense for their play by giving them a reward for good play.

As to cost, I'm sure that when the newfangled electronic scoreboards came out many felt they would be cost prohibitive yet I don't think I've ever been to a high school gym without one and as far as I know they are not even required. If it was mandated schools would find a way to make it happen.

IMO rather than changing rules, interpertation of rules should be addressed. The new brand of refereeing allow players to palm the basketball and travel with the ball while making offensive moves. Also the physicality of play has escalated to a point of organized brawls on the court. I guess I am old school, but I have a hard time watching the game as it is played today.

Stopping both of those have been points of emphasis over the past two years.

We were told 3-4 years ago, in blocking out if you step backwards in blocking out it would be called a foul. The referees never did make that call.

Stopping both of those have been points of emphasis over the past two years.

We were told 3-4 years ago, in blocking out if you step backwards in blocking out it would be called a foul. The referees never did make that call.

I have not seen evidence of stopping those violations. I'm glad I haven't seen that blocking out rule called, we were always instructed to move your man out while blocking out.

I have not seen evidence of stopping those violations. I'm glad I haven't seen that blocking out rule called, we were always instructed to move your man out while blocking out.

They went through a stage at least in girls' games of calling the traveling (palming) call.

And I still teach 1-2 steps back to create rebounding room. And will until I begin to foul people out for blocking out calls. Have not had one called on us since Mr. Boucher told us that it was going to be called.

Stalling the ball for anything more than the last minute of the game is not good basketball. Trying to keep the ball from the other team an entire game because your team is not as good is to me being a coward.

Not coward, it is called strategy.

No no no. Like my good friend FBD said, there are enough bad shots taken without forcing teams to rush even more. Plus, for the one who used the logic that it would reward good defense: Good defense is rewarded when they force turnovers and force teams to burn their time outs.

I think that the stall ball plan of attack is boring, but if it gets the job done, then why not do it. It doesn't show that you are a coward, but rather that you are trying to win the game by executing a gameplan that gives you the best opportunity to win... That said, I agree that I hate to watch games where this is used.

I hate to watch it too, but it's great. Disciplined teams can beat the most talented teams on any given night. Stall ball really levels the playing field.

Not coward, it is called strategy.

Stalling the ball is not strategy. Any dummie can come with this kind of coaching.

So let me get this straight, you don't mind watching a coach stall the ball the entire game and the final score being in the low 20's.

If you have a kid that plays basketball on a good team and they go up against a team that stalls the ball, you will be the first one to scream at the opposing coach for not playing real basketball.

I was wondering what people thought about high school adding a shoot clocks. The reason I bring this up is that I was at a game last year where one team got a lead and then just passed the ball around the top of the key with the wheel play for about three minutes in the first quarter then even longer in the second. And don't think it got any better in the second half. And I just think that this type of basketball is embarrasing to the players who have to run the play. It shows no cofdence in your team to actually win the game. So what do you think?

What's wrong with implementing a fundamental offense that gives your team a chance to win? A shot clock rewards Jimmys and Joes more than Xs and Os.

Stalling the ball is not strategy. Any dummie can come with this kind of coaching.

So let me get this straight, you don't mind watching a coach stall the ball the entire game and the final score being in the low 20's.

If you have a kid that plays basketball on a good team and they go up against a team that stalls the ball, you will be the first one to scream at the opposing coach for not playing real basketball.

It doesn't matter what the score is, or if it is entertaining, basketball is about winning and if it works then use it. If the other team is good enough then they should still be able to win despite the stalling of the ball.

I disagree, maintaining possession for 3 or 4 minutes without committing a turnover isn't exactly easy. In the 3rd region, Tony Hopper has used this tatic when needed and his team usually run it to prefection.

If your good player is so good than he will find a way to steal the ball create a turnover. It works both ways Basketball consist of both offense and defense, problem is hardly any kids want to play defense anymore.