Alabama 77 Kentucky 75

16thBBall Fan

I can't speak for others, but I felt Booker should have at the least been a top 10 lottery pick. In fact, I've had multiple discussions in BGP threads since before the 2015 draft with PP92, gametime and others where I said I felt Booker had more potential than D'Angelo Russell, who went #2 that draft. For a league whose draft cares more about potential than production, I thought Booker was a big miss by the NBA scouts.

Fair enough. Now that you say that, I do think I remember you stating that on here back then.

Which you are correct the NBA scouts did get it wrong with him, because he would have been at least a top 5 pick if they knew he would be like this. I actually just went back and read a pre draft anaylsis of Booker. Which is very similar to what they have said about Herro.

DraftExpress - Devin Booker NBA Draft Scouting Report and Video Breakdown

There are also some question marks about Booker's ball-handling ability and how prolific of a shot-creator he will become at the NBA level. Most 3-pointers in today's NBA game come off an assist, and to fully take advantage of Booker's terrific stroke, he will have to be on a team that can manufacture good looks for him. Booker mostly stayed in his lane at Kentucky and played the role he was asked to, which is likely similar to what he will do in the NBA. He was only charted for four isolation possessions all season at Kentucky, and is unlikely to be someone that is asked to shoulder a very heavy load offensively at the next level either. 178 of the 200 shots Booker took in the half-court were jump-shots this season. In the rare cases that he does get inside the paint, he is not a great finisher, due to his average explosiveness and the lack of extension he gets around the rim due to his poor wingspan. He relies heavily on pull-up jumpers and floaters once he puts the ball on the floor, which are not the most high percentage looks in the NBA, and rarely gets to the free throw line—only 65 times in 38 games this season. NBA teams in the lottery are usually hoping to find a player who projects as either a lockdown defender, or a prolific scoring option—which Booker is neither as of right now. With that said, the shooting guard position lacks quite a bit of depth in this draft class and in the NBA as a whole right now, and there's never been a higher premium put on floor-spacing and 3-point shooters. While Booker may not possess superstar potential, he also comes with very little risk, as it will be very very surprising if he doesn't end up developing into at least a solid NBA player. At age 18, as the youngest player who will hear his name called on draft night, and someone who is younger than many of the players who participated in this year's McDonald's All-American game, there is plenty of room for him to continue to improve despite not possessing incredible physical tools or upside. - Source: DraftExpress - Devin Booker NBA Draft Scouting Report and Video Breakdown ©DraftExpress

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that gets me in that analysis and I can't believe was overlooked is explosiveness. There were games at UK where I saw Booker go past people in transition where it was obvious he was the fastest guy on the court. One of the things I was most impressed with about Booker at UK was his explosiveness, especially at 6'6".

I'm going to disagree again. Herro was pretty good as a spot up shooter. If you made him move off the spot, even a one dribble to the left or right, his shooting percentage dropped dramatically. When he could square up, money. Any movement, catch and shoot, one dribble, etc, not nearly as good. He was good on the pull up jumper off the dribble, but not on three's off of movement. I am interested in seeing him develop. I felt he improved more than any player on the roster during the season last year. I was disappointed in him early, mainly because he took those off balance, bad shots. That was why most people were down on him early in the year. Once he got better in shot selection, I liked him a lot more.

As for his shooting off the dribble. I guess perception is not always reality. You may want to look at all the draft anaylsis of him. Almost every single one talks about how he is a good shooter off the dribble. That he seems to be even better off one or two dribbles, than off a catch and release.

Here are two draft analysis I found.

NBA Draft 2

The thing that gets me in that analysis and I can't believe was overlooked is explosiveness. There were games at UK where I saw Booker go past people in transition where it was obvious he was the fastest guy on the court. One of the things I was most impressed with about Booker at UK was his explosiveness, especially at 6'6".

Yet the scouts seemed to think he had average explosiveness, based off his pre draft anaylsis. Which btw I'm glad you were right, because I also loved Booker. Honestly even though we may not have went undefeated going into the final four. I do think UK wins it all that year and doesn't fall short, if he and Ulis were the starting back court that year.

My point even reading the draft anaylsis of Booker and Herro. The analysis on both coming out is and was very similar. Booker obviously has far exceeded the expectations that was for him. I'm not saying Herro will be as good as him. Chances are most likely not, because Booker is a superstar now. All I was saying is coming out of college to at least some Herro may have had better potential, or at least thought of as similar potential. Which Booker obviously has exceeded what most besides you thought for him. My comparison is where they were coming out of college. Which I get why you disagree because I do remember how high on Booker you were.

One thing I liked about Herro last season was his ability to make big shots. He hit a lot of shots within the context of a game either to start or continue a UK run or to thwart an opponent's run.......many momentum shifters.

One thing I liked about Herro last season was his ability to make big shots. He hit a lot of shots within the context of a game either to start or continue a UK run or to thwart an opponent's run.......many momentum shifters.

I will most definitely agree with this. Herro has marbles during those moments, without question.