Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Alabama 77 Kentucky 75

Featured Replies

Very much what I was afraid would happen in their first conference road game. I'm surprised that I was the only one to pick Alabama in the prediction thread.

 

We should blame this loss on @LRCW

 

I take full responsibility. It was a busy week at work, and I didn't have time to make my prediction.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awful loss.

This is jmo but I don't believe that it was an "awful" loss. Any road game in conference, especially this 2019 SEC season and the teams in it are going to be tough. Now I agree that U.K. should've won the game, no question but I just don't think that it was an awful loss. The SEC is going to be really good this season, there is no question about that. At least for now … the sky hasn't fallen.

I take full responsibility. It was a busy week at work, and I didn't have time to make my prediction.

Would it had been different if you had ? :lol2:

This is jmo but I don't believe that it was an "awful" loss. Any road game in conference, especially this 2019 SEC season and the teams in it are going to be tough. Now I agree that U.K. should've won the game, no question but I just don't think that it was an awful loss. The SEC is going to be really good this season, there is no question about that. At least for now … the sky hasn't fallen.

 

Why is there "no question about that?" Among 14 teams, they have a total of 16 Qual Wins (BPI Top50). 4 of those come from Miss. St. Their highest non-conf SOS (99% of games played to date) is Florida at 40. 9/14 have non-conf SOS > 100.

 

I think the SEC is improving, but the data suggests that it is an open question.

Why is there "no question about that?" Among 14 teams, they have a total of 16 Qual Wins (BPI Top50). 4 of those come from Miss. St. Their highest non-conf SOS (99% of games played to date) is Florida at 40. 9/14 have non-conf SOS > 100.

 

I think the SEC is improving, but the data suggests that it is an open question.

 

3 teams in the Top 15 and one of them isn't Kentucky means something.

Why is there "no question about that?" Among 14 teams, they have a total of 16 Qual Wins (BPI Top50). 4 of those come from Miss. St. Their highest non-conf SOS (99% of games played to date) is Florida at 40. 9/14 have non-conf SOS > 100.

 

I think the SEC is improving, but the data suggests that it is an open question.

I am going on what practically every ncaambb commentator has said about the strength of the SEC this season. I am also going on my own eyes when watching these SEC teams play. Yes, there are all of these what I call the alphabet stats, which some are telling but imo some aren't. I have never seen a basketball or other sports game won on paper. So, they can quote RPI, BPI, SOS and/or any other combinations of made up letters for stats that they call important. I often wonder if anyone actually watches a game. I don't know that "Data" kid or haven't watched him or his team play.

You may be right when all is said and done. Besides watching games and forming my own opinion, I tend to listen to the commentators that played the game, were coaches and tune out the number of talking suits behind a computer. Yes, stats can be telling and are a part of it. What I am going on is a combination that aren't just numbers, they are a part of it but opinions of former coaches, players matter more to me, along with my own eyes and my opinions enter into it.

One thing is for certain, time and the games played will tell.

Someone other than Herro for the game winner...

 

Just 5 months ago you were wanting anyone but the 13th pick in the NBA draft taking a last second shot lol. Sorry just had to bring this one back up lol.

Just 5 months ago you were wanting anyone but the 13th pick in the NBA draft taking a last second shot lol. Sorry just had to bring this one back up lol.

 

Same dude disappeared in UK's last NCAA Tournament game. Had a good stat line at the half. Played most if not all of second half...disappeared.

 

Look, I get the hype. But fact is, you won't hear too much about Herro after this week. He can't create his own shot. He's going to have to shoot over bigger, quicker dudes. I just don't see a pathway for success for him in the league.

 

All that being said, I hope he is the next Pistol Pete!

 

NBA Draft wasn't loaded with talent this year, aside from the top 2.

Same dude disappeared in UK's last NCAA Tournament game. Had a good stat line at the half. Played most if not all of second half...disappeared.

 

Look, I get the hype. But fact is, you won't hear too much about Herro after this week. He can't create his own shot. He's going to have to shoot over bigger, quicker dudes. I just don't see a pathway for success for him in the league.

 

All that being said, I hope he is the next Pistol Pete!

 

NBA Draft wasn't loaded with talent this year, aside from the top 2.

 

Tyler Herro definitely can create his own shot. He honestly was better at creating his own shot off the dribble, than he was at being a spot up shooter. So I am not exactly where where you got that assessment from. Not to mention he was really good at moving without the ball and coming off screens.

 

As for the elite 8 lost. Yeah he had bad game that day and was off on his shot. No argument there. He was also the reason why they were playing in that game.

 

I said it probably 10 times during the season last year. That for the life of me I couldn't figure out why most of the season Keldon Johnson was usually a lottery pick in most mock drafts. Keldon really couldn't create his own shot. Wasn't good at finishing around the rim, as his shot was blocked more than anyone. He was a good spot up shooter, but probably was the worst defender in the starting lineup.

 

Tyler Herro showed more potential in his game during his one year at UK. Than Devon Booker did, and look at what Booker has become.

Tyler Herro definitely can create his own shot. He honestly was better at creating his own shot off the dribble, than he was at being a spot up shooter. So I am not exactly where where you got that assessment from. Not to mention he was really good at moving without the ball and coming off screens.

 

As for the elite 8 lost. Yeah he had bad game that day and was off on his shot. No argument there. He was also the reason why they were playing in that game.

 

I said it probably 10 times during the season last year. That for the life of me I couldn't figure out why most of the season Keldon Johnson was usually a lottery pick in most mock drafts. Keldon really couldn't create his own shot. Wasn't good at finishing around the rim, as his shot was blocked more than anyone. He was a good spot up shooter, but probably was the worst defender in the starting lineup.

 

Tyler Herro showed more potential in his game during his one year at UK. Than Devon Booker did, and look at what Booker has become.

 

OK. Now you've gone too far. Your "Herro" worship (pun intended) has been in full bloom all year, but saying he has as much potential as Booker is over the top for me. I take Booker's athleticism and his shooting stroke over Herro's every day of the week. Booker's speed and athleticism were underrated while at UK. The only thing Herro has an edge over Booker in is free throw shooting. Everything else, Booker is better. I will brace now for a four paragraph response. I'll go ahead and let you know though, you aren't changing my mind on this.

Tyler Herro definitely can create his own shot. He honestly was better at creating his own shot off the dribble, than he was at being a spot up shooter. So I am not exactly where where you got that assessment from. Not to mention he was really good at moving without the ball and coming off screens.

 

As for the elite 8 lost. Yeah he had bad game that day and was off on his shot. No argument there. He was also the reason why they were playing in that game.

 

I said it probably 10 times during the season last year. That for the life of me I couldn't figure out why most of the season Keldon Johnson was usually a lottery pick in most mock drafts. Keldon really couldn't create his own shot. Wasn't good at finishing around the rim, as his shot was blocked more than anyone. He was a good spot up shooter, but probably was the worst defender in the starting lineup.

 

Tyler Herro showed more potential in his game during his one year at UK. Than Devon Booker did, and look at what Booker has become.

 

While on this, I'll go ahead and address the Keldon Johnson comparison. I agree with you that Johnson's lottery draft projection almost all season mystified me a bit. However, Johnson shot it just as well as Herro. In fact, he shot it better than Herro on three's. I also thought Johnson was just as good, if not better than, Herro on scoring off the dribble and attacking the middle. UK should have utilized Johnson more in that elbow area, mid range shot like Michael Kidd-Gilchrest. I like Herro's potential more than Keldon Johnson's, and obviously the NBA does too based on how they ended up being drafted. However, in college performance there was not much difference between the two. Johnson was just a little better at the start of the year. Herro was just a little better at the end of the year.

OK. Now you've gone too far. Your "Herro" worship (pun intended) has been in full bloom all year, but saying he has as much potential as Booker is over the top for me. I take Booker's athleticism and his shooting stroke over Herro's every day of the week. Booker's speed and athleticism were underrated while at UK. The only thing Herro has an edge over Booker in is free throw shooting. Everything else, Booker is better. I will brace now for a four paragraph response. I'll go ahead and let you know though, you aren't changing my mind on this.

 

All I stated in their freshman seasons. Herro imo did show more potential than Booker, because he got to play to show it more than Booker got to. Which is why I said he probably showed more potential in his one year. It is obviously very easy for people to now disagree with it after seeing what Booker has become. If Booker didn't show what he has become. I very much doubt people would say Booker showed more potential. Booker and Herro both were drafted 13th based off potential. So maybe i should say they both showed the same potential, since they both went 13th.

 

Booker obviously has definitely reached his potential. If people knew for sure Booker would become this, he probably would have went top 5 in that draft and not lasted to 13th. Booker has reached his potential, now depends if Herro can too.

While on this, I'll go ahead and address the Keldon Johnson comparison. I agree with you that Johnson's lottery draft projection almost all season mystified me a bit. However, Johnson shot it just as well as Herro. In fact, he shot it better than Herro on three's. I also thought Johnson was just as good, if not better than, Herro on scoring off the dribble and attacking the middle. UK should have utilized Johnson more in that elbow area, mid range shot like Michael Kidd-Gilchrest. I like Herro's potential more than Keldon Johnson's, and obviously the NBA does too based on how they ended up being drafted. However, in college performance there was not much difference between the two. Johnson was just a little better at the start of the year. Herro was just a little better at the end of the year.

 

Johnson was a good spot up 3 point shooter. Hence his good 3 point percentage. However, he wasn't good when having to create his own shot. We will have to agree to disagree on Johnson scoring off the dribble. Johnson definitely tried to drive the ball a lot, and hence the Bully ball the one announcer always said when he drove. However, Johnson also got stuffed more than anyone when trying to drive. Herro honestly was at his best off the dribble. He seemed to shoot better off the dribble, than he did when he spotted up. Hence, why I think he was better at creating his own shot. Herro for sure needs to get more consistent at spot up shooting, and shooting off a catch. He will need to do that a lot in the NBA. I think most expect him to get better in those areas, which is why he went where he did.

All I stated in their freshman seasons. Herro imo did show more potential than Booker, because he got to play to show it more than Booker got to. Which is why I said he probably showed more potential in his one year. It is obviously very easy for people to now disagree with it after seeing what Booker has become. If Booker didn't show what he has become. I very much doubt people would say Booker showed more potential. Booker and Herro both were drafted 13th based off potential. So maybe i should say they both showed the same potential, since they both went 13th.

 

Booker obviously has definitely reached his potential. If people knew for sure Booker would become this, he probably would have went top 5 in that draft and not lasted to 13th. Booker has reached his potential, now depends if Herro can too.

 

I can't speak for others, but I felt Booker should have at the least been a top 10 lottery pick. In fact, I've had multiple discussions in BGP threads since before the 2015 draft with PP92, gametime and others where I said I felt Booker had more potential than D'Angelo Russell, who went #2 that draft. For a league whose draft cares more about potential than production, I thought Booker was a big miss by the NBA scouts.

Johnson was a good spot up 3 point shooter. Hence his good 3 point percentage. However, he wasn't good when having to create his own shot. We will have to agree to disagree on Johnson scoring off the dribble. Johnson definitely tried to drive the ball a lot, and hence the Bully ball the one announcer always said when he drove. However, Johnson also got stuffed more than anyone when trying to drive. Herro honestly was at his best off the dribble. He seemed to shoot better off the dribble, than he did when he spotted up. Hence, why I think he was better at creating his own shot. Herro for sure needs to get more consistent at spot up shooting, and shooting off a catch. He will need to do that a lot in the NBA. I think most expect him to get better in those areas, which is why he went where he did.

 

I'm going to disagree again. Herro was pretty good as a spot up shooter. If you made him move off the spot, even a one dribble to the left or right, his shooting percentage dropped dramatically. When he could square up, money. Any movement, catch and shoot, one dribble, etc, not nearly as good. He was good on the pull up jumper off the dribble, but not on three's off of movement. I am interested in seeing him develop. I felt he improved more than any player on the roster during the season last year. I was disappointed in him early, mainly because he took those off balance, bad shots. That was why most people were down on him early in the year. Once he got better in shot selection, I liked him a lot more.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.