Should I Change A Fact In "My Story" About The Wreck?

BFritz

In the presentation I give to schools, in the slides about the wreck, it says:

"We stayed there a while

Then we left again

We went and got gas

We came back

And then we left one more time

This time we drove around the cemetery

He was messing around speeding

Before we got out of the cemetery he sped around one last corner…………."

Then we wreck.

That makes it sound like, when we came back to the cemetery after getting gas, we got out of the car and then got back in knowing that we were going joy riding.

I found out after I graduated college that, when we came back from getting gas, we stopped but didn't get out of the car. I wanted to go pick-up my girlfriend, but the driver wanted to stay in the cemetery because that's where he felt safe driving, so he did a 180 and took us speeding through the cemetery, and then we wrecked.

Should I change it point out that we didn't get out of the car and get back in and should I even mention that I wanted to leave when he took us joy riding?

I want it to be accurate, but I also don't want to make it seem like I'm taking the blame off myself and playing the victim, which would take away from a major message of my presentation (make smart decisions), or do you think it won't even make a difference with kids because it was already established that I shouldn't have even been in the car in the first place?

In the way that you've worded the slides, I don't read it as if you got out of the car. I think that your original wording is fine.

I agree with TB & G, I did not read it that you got out of teh car. I read it three times to see if I missed something.

I just see "left again" as having come back and established being there, which would mean getting out of the car.

On a few occasions, kids have even asked me "why'd you get back in the car if you knew you were going to go speeding through the cemetery?"