Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic at Highlands Predictions

Featured Replies

I honestly don't remember this happening... :confused: I do remember a game where it was supposed to be a really big game and there was supposed to be a huge storm moving into the area that night, so we changed the game to Saturday (which Friday turned out to be a beautiful evening). But I am pretty sure that is what you are talking about, but not positive.

 

This is most likely the game. I do not remember the actual rain being anywhere near what was predicted.

  • Replies 261
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 2002 , which I believe is the first year HHS had turf, the CCH-HHS game was postponed due to rain and moved to Saturday night. It obviously was not due to poor field conditions.

 

I remember well. I couldn't help but chuckle when I learned that one of the very few (only?) games that was cancelled that night was one of the very few that would have been played on turf. Dixie defeated Conner at Dixie that night. During the week, us Dixie fans had to endure the complaints from Highlands fans about the state of Dixie's field (which was not good) since Dixie had defeated Highlands in OT the week before and many Highlands fans thought the muddy field hurt Highlands more than Dixie.

I remember well. I couldn't help but chuckle when I learned that one of the very few games that was cancelled that night was one of the very few that would have been played on turf. Dixie defeated Conner at Dixie that night. During the week, us Dixie fans had to endure the complaints from Highlands fans about the state of Dixie's field (which was not good) since Dixie had defeated Highlands in OT the week before and many Highlands fans thought the muddy field hurt Highlands more than Dixie.

 

 

I believe the word you're looking for would be some form of "irony.";)

In 2002 , which I believe is the first year HHS had turf, the CCH-HHS game was postponed due to rain and moved to Saturday night. It obviously was not due to poor field conditions.
I believe one of the main concerns was lightning.
I believe one of the main concerns was lightning.

 

 

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! The forecast called for a thunderstorm with lightning to be working its way through the N. Ky area around game time. A huge crowd was expected. Rather than waiting until the last minute to decide, the School made a decision in the middle of the afternoon so as to make it a convenient as possible for people to reschedule their plans. By cancelling it in the afternoon, those CovCath fans maybe having to take off work early to get over here by game time didn't have to needlessly do so. Pregame meals didn't have to be prepared. Buses could be rescheduled, refs notified and lined up for Saturday. Etc., etc. I'm sorry, but I'll defend the schools decision on that issue to my death. It was the right decision and showed some intelligence. Perhaps that's why some people found it odd our unusual. School admininstrators actually making a rationale and logical decision:banana:

 

As it turned out the forecast was wrong. Shoot me. And you know as well as I do if the forecast had been correct and the game was cancelled at the last minute or the game had actually gotten underway and lightning started (not good to be sitting in wet, metal bleachers in a lightning storm), the school would have been severely criticized for not making the decision earlier in the day to move the game to Saturday.

I just don't see why they would on a turf field. Like I said, I would love to no have to sit out in the rain. But I don't see it happening.

 

Agreed, if the Team from Ft. Thomas still had grass, I could see this game being postponed, but with Turf.....no way. CovCath played Cin St. X in a driving rain storm at Cin St. X and the only reason to stop play was the lightning, and the NWS isn't calling for that at all, just rain, rain, and more rain.....Going to be a miserable night to sit without an umbrella and watch the game......

I remember well. I couldn't help but chuckle when I learned that one of the very few (only?) games that was cancelled that night was one of the very few that would have been played on turf. Dixie defeated Conner at Dixie that night. During the week, us Dixie fans had to endure the complaints from Highlands fans about the state of Dixie's field (which was not good) since Dixie had defeated Highlands in OT the week before and many Highlands fans thought the muddy field hurt Highlands more than Dixie.

 

Me thinks you are getting years mixed up. The year Highlands fans (me specifically :D ) complained about Dixie's field was when it was in horrible condition game one.

 

I believe that was also the year that Boone in the playoffs (aided by miserable Dixie field conditions) upset Dixie.

If it's only raining the game will be played. As far as the field conditions, the field is capable of 7 inches of water per hour. This was told by close source who helped coordinate the installation of the Field Turf. As far as the game goes, We know who wer'e playing. It's Cov-Cath, they always pose a threat to Highlands annual plans to win the State Championship. If anybody thinks HHS is that stupid to overlook CCH doesn't know much about HHS football. There have been too many games that HHS was suppose to win but didn't and many times CCH was suppose to and didn't. Good Luck to both teams because this will be a warm up for 2 weeks from now when they meet again.

 

 

Go Birds!!!!!!!:ylsuper:

  • Author
I have no argument with the decision. My memor differs from yours a bit as to the amount of rain that day, though.

 

At my age, I'm lucky if I can remember what I did an hour ago. I probably have the wrong game. I do remember a game where it rained buckets all day. I was on the phone with family most of the day and remember being relieved when they finally called it. Just too much water for everyone.

  • Author
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! The forecast called for a thunderstorm with lightning to be working its way through the N. Ky area around game time. A huge crowd was expected. Rather than waiting until the last minute to decide, the School made a decision in the middle of the afternoon so as to make it a convenient as possible for people to reschedule their plans. By cancelling it in the afternoon, those CovCath fans maybe having to take off work early to get over here by game time didn't have to needlessly do so. Pregame meals didn't have to be prepared. Buses could be rescheduled, refs notified and lined up for Saturday. Etc., etc. I'm sorry, but I'll defend the schools decision on that issue to my death. It was the right decision and showed some intelligence. Perhaps that's why some people found it odd our unusual. School admininstrators actually making a rationale and logical decision:banana:

 

As it turned out the forecast was wrong. Shoot me. And you know as well as I do if the forecast had been correct and the game was cancelled at the last minute or the game had actually gotten underway and lightning started (not good to be sitting in wet, metal bleachers in a lightning storm), the school would have been severely criticized for not making the decision earlier in the day to move the game to Saturday.

 

I bet Trinity and X had wish they had administrators that could have made this decision before this years game.:scared:

Is this not the longest week of the football season? It seems like it's taking FOREVER for Friday to get here.

. I'm sorry, but I'll defend the schools decision on that issue to my death. It was the right decision and showed some intelligence. .

 

LN - no one on here as far as I've read is challenging the decision. If you're unsure and there's no reason that it cannot be rescheduled, reschedule it.

I remember now. Makes sense to me. Gate I'm sure had something to do with it. Heck those fields aren't cheap. Also if I remember correctly, it was a terrential downpour day. Have you ever seen those fields in a downpour? You could go fishing in them. I don't think this Friday is going to be that freaky.

If a turf field has water pooling in places, then the rubber is not distributed evenly and there is probably not enough sand mixed in. The Lexington Public Schools had this problem recently and had to delay soccer games due to pools of water on the field. They don't have sand in the mixture. Boom said that HHS field can take 7 inches of rain per hour. It seemed to me the last time I was there, the blades of fake grass were long and thick, and the rubber had a small amount of sand mixed in. I've seen other fields where the blades of fake grass are very short with lots of sand mix in. Maybe there was just more fill to make the blades apperar shorter.

LN - no one on here as far as I've read is challenging the decision. If you're unsure and there's no reason that it cannot be rescheduled, reschedule it.
Yeah! Somebody get to work on that! :ylsuper:
  • Author
If a turf field has water pooling in places, then the rubber is not distributed evenly and there is probably not enough sand mixed in. The Lexington Public Schools had this problem recently and had to delay soccer games due to pools of water on the field. They don't have sand in the mixture. Boom said that HHS field can take 7 inches of rain per hour. It seemed to me the last time I was there, the blades of fake grass were long and thick, and the rubber had a small amount of sand mixed in. I've seen other fields where the blades of fake grass are very short with lots of sand mix in. Maybe there was just more fill to make the blades apperar shorter.

 

It was draining fine. Just the rain was coming down soo hard. Similar to the X and T game this year.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.