Yu Darvish to the Cubs

Since 1986-87. Growing up in the Deep South, only 2 teams were on TV, the Braves on TBS and the Cubs on WGN. I went with the Cubs.

WOR was on nationally back then as well in a lot of places and showed Mets games. I used to watch them every Dwight Gooden start. Otherwise I usually watched the Cubs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think he's turned it around nicely. On the other hand it sure looks like the Cubs would have been better off signing Arrieta than Darvish.

Personally, I sense regression coming for Lester. His FIP is over 4.00 and his era is low 2.00’s. His K rate is down slightly from last year and his walk rate is slightly up.

His strand rate has been near a career high which is more than likely what is keeping him on this really good run. When he’s been in trouble he’s gotten out of it, 16% higher than last year, during his “off or bad” year. He’s obviously a vet and has used his craft pretty well in the first half.

Darvish on the other hand, his FIP matches his ERA high 4.00’s. He hasn’t been so fortunate. His strand rate is slightly down from his career average.

It wasn’t a situation of Jake vs Yu. It was Jake vs the Luxury tax.

And yet Arrieta signed for only $5 million more this season. And the club would only have been committed to him for 3 seasons instead of 6 if the players don't exercise their opt-out clauses after 2019.

And yet Arrieta signed for only $5 million more this season. And the club would only have been committed to him for 3 seasons instead of 6 if the players don't exercise their opt-out clauses after 2019.

Yup and while $5 Million doesn’t seem so costly In relative terms, it would’ve put them dangerously close to the tax which isn’t just financial, but also costs draft picks. Jake was offered 6/$120 Million and he declined. Not much else the Cubs could do. Hindsight being 20/20, Jake would’ve probably took that deal. It’s not so simple as the Cubs wouldn’t do Jakes Philly deal. It was a strange offseason for free agents.