2019-2022 Football Classification

Is it assured that Highlands will play up? Bourbon, Harrison, Holmes, and Scott are the "local" competition in 4A.

Weren't all of those teams were 4A the last time around when Highlands opted to play up? I don't see how that discussion has really changed.

I was assuming Highlands was still 5A just based on the fact that the KHSAA apparently didn't note that they were moving down.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't all of those teams were 4A the last time around when Highlands opted to play up? I don't see how that discussion has really changed.

I was assuming Highlands was still 5A just based on the fact that the KHSAA apparently didn't note that they were moving down.

They are listed as 4a and moving down on the spreadsheet.

I'm guessing in Northern Kentucky 1A they will leave Bishop Brossart in District 5 with Berea, Paris, and Nicholas County, and then go to a five team district for District 4 with Ludlow, Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, and Newport Central Catholic. Even with Beechwood gone, that would leave District 4 with the same winner, year in and year out.

In looking at the preliminary file, Holy Cross (Covington) average is higher than it appears it should.

Per the sheet:

Male enrollment:

14/15: 203

15/16: 199

16/17: 189

17/18: 349 This is the same entry as boys/girls combined.

Removing the possible error, Holy Cross 4 year average would put them possibly in 1A at the top. With 4 year average trending down 3 years prior, their estimated (by me) is 185 to 195, pending they are following the downward trend. Highest preliminary 4 year average for 1A is 191 in the produced file.

In looking at the preliminary file, Holy Cross (Covington) average is higher than it appears it should.

Per the sheet:

Male enrollment:

14/15: 203

15/16: 199

16/17: 189

17/18: 349 This is the same entry as boys/girls combined.

Removing the possible error, Holy Cross 4 year average would put them possibly in 1A at the top. With 4 year average trending down 3 years prior, their estimated (by me) is 185 to 195, pending they are following the downward trend. Highest preliminary 4 year average for 1A is 191 in the produced file.

I thought that seemed high. That makes nine schools with incorrect data. Poor preparation.

Can anyone else confirm this? HHS is going to be 4A?

I can't confirm it, but it makes complete sense to me. They have struggled for a few years now and 5A is going to be absolutely loaded in the near future. Enrollment wise they are a 4A school so it makes perfect sense to spend this next alignment in 4A, regroup, and possibly move back up to 5A during the next alignment.

Can anyone else confirm this? HHS is going to be 4A?

It’s not really confirmable until we see if they’ve petitioned to continue playing up a class. Playing in 4a where their enrollment puts them wouldn’t surprise me, but them playing up again wouldn’t surprise me either.

So if this stands, 3A District 7 will consist of 5 teams? Estill, Powell, Magoffin, Morgan, Knott

Knott would be moving to 2A according to this. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see Bath (They petitioned to move up last time) or Fleming in this district. I think they were both in this district before.

It’s not really confirmable until we see if they’ve petitioned to continue playing up a class. Playing in 4a where their enrollment puts them wouldn’t surprise me, but them playing up again wouldn’t surprise me either.

Correct...this is all reflecting the classifications where schools BELONG, which is why Highlands is 4A, why Conner and Cooper are 5A, and why Dixie Heights is 6A (Dixie was the smallest 6A school when the last alignment happened, and were given the opportunity to move down to 5A after Conner & Cooper petitioned to move up).