2019-2022 Football Classification

What are the chances that NCC requests to remain in 2A? That would make a 2A district with NCC and Beechwood very fun and competitive and finally give the river city schools a district that can be won by a different team year in and year out. Even if Holy Cross (Cov) were to drop into that district it would still make it competitive.

That would be the most interesting and competitive way to do the small schools in NKY.

If NCC was still one of the top dogs in 2A and consistently playing for state titles, I think they would try to stay in 2A. However since they currently haven't won a title in awhile, and not one of the true top dogs in 2A currently. I think they see what being in 1A did for Beechwood this last realignment. Beechwood was the highest 1A school, and knew if realignment had happened probably just a year later they would have been 2A. So they could have asked to move up to 2A. However since they were able to still stay in 1A at that time. They knew with teams like Mayfield leaving, that they had a chance to get back to winning state titles and building that program back up to being one of the top programs again.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should HHS play up to 5A? Why not stay where they are classified? They can still schedule 5A & 6A non-district opponents. Is it a pride thing, that they have to keep up with CCH?

I would say it probably is a pride thing. CovCath always stayed with Highlands no matter if Highlands moved up, or stayed in the same class. CovCath could have easily decided to make it easier and avoid being with Highlands back when Highlands was dominating them. However they always stayed in the same district as Highlands no matter if Highlands moved up a class or not and no matter how many times Highlands beat them in a row. So I just don't see Highlands deciding to take the easy way and backing down from CovCath right now and saying we will drop down to 4A to give us an easier path and to get away from CovCath who will be 5A.

Now a question could be asked, since some people wondered if CovCath could have played with Trinity. Since enrollment will put CovCath in 5A. Would CovCath consider moving up to 6A to challenge themselves even more with the program they are building? Or will they like to try to sustain success for a few more years before maybe considering that?

If NCC was still one of the top dogs in 2A and consistently playing for state titles, I think they would try to stay in 2A. However since they currently haven't won a title in awhile, and not one of the true top dogs in 2A currently. I think they see what being in 1A did for Beechwood this last realignment. Beechwood was the highest 1A school, and knew if realignment had happened probably just a year later they would have been 2A. So they could have asked to move up to 2A. However since they were able to still stay in 1A at that time. They knew with teams like Mayfield leaving, that they had a chance to get back to winning state titles and building that program back up to being one of the top programs again.

NCC has played for five State Titles since 2007. How is that irrelevant?

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Corrected the year.

NCC has played for five State Titles since 2007. How is that irrelevant?

Never once said it was irrelevant. However do you feel right now in current 2A they are considered a top 2A team with chance to win state with teams like Mayfield, Desales, Cal, etc?

What year was last year they won the title? I'm not saying they are bad or irrelvanet. Beechwood wasn't bad either during their drought either when they had good teams just lost to better teams. However just like Beechwood chose to stay in 1A this last allignment even though they knew they would have 2a enrollment most of the time during these 4 years. They were able to stay in 1a and start winning titles again before having to move up. My point is i think NCC will do the same and why they won't ask to move up to 2a like someone asked if they would. If NCC was still winning titles in 2a currently then I think they would have asked to stay 2a. That's all I was saying.

Never once said it was irrelevant. However do you feel right now in current 2A they are considered a top 2A team with chance to win state with teams like Mayfield, Desales, Cal, etc?

What year was last year they won the title? I'm not saying they are bad or irrelvanet. Beechwood wasn't bad either during their drought either when they had good teams just lost to better teams. However just like Beechwood chose to stay in 1A this last allignment even though they knew they would have 2a enrollment most of the time during these 4 years. They were able to stay in 1a and start winning titles again before having to move up. My point is i think NCC will do the same and why they won't ask to move up to 2a like someone asked if they would. If NCC was still winning titles in 2a currently then I think they would have asked to stay 2a. That's all I was saying.

You cited them as not a top dog in 2A.

Two years ago they were finishing a four year run I think into the state finals. They won their last title about 5 years ago. How many finals has Desales been too in that time? CAL?

I'm not fan of NCC but I wouldn't say they weren't one of the top teams to consider every year.

Did anyone look at the list of enrollment numbers yesterday? They've changed... I just can't tell what has. But Newport was 1A yesterday and Greenup was smallest in 4A now they're largest in 3A according to list.

Nine schools had incorrect data on the initial form. It appears the changes have been made. Not sure why they were wrong to start with.

Any idea what 9?

Boone County

Butler County

Jenkins

Marion County

Newport

South Laurel

Walton-Verona

Wayne County

Covington Holy Cross

To clarify, these all had incorrect data. They didn't all necessarily move classes after adjustments were made.

You cited them as not a top dog in 2A.

Two years ago they were finishing a four year run I think into the state finals. They won their last title about 5 years ago. How many finals has Desales been too in that time? CAL?

I'm not fan of NCC but I wouldn't say they weren't one of the top teams to consider every year.

Are they still one of the top teams to consider? Going into next year will they be one of the teams talked about as a good chance to win state? I don't think they will be considered that. Hence why I said they are not a top dog in 2a anymore. I never said they never was a top dog in 2a. They just aren't anymore currently. There was no shot taken at ncc. You are making something out of nothing here. Very simple I stated if they were a top dog still a team with a good chance to win 2a. Then they should ask to stay in 2a. If they are not, then it is better to be in 1a for now. My point is if they are not a top dog anymore in 2a. Then going down to 1a will be good for them like it was Beechwood during this last realignment.

Will Conner, Cooper, and/or Boone request to move up like last time?

I believe Boone County was 6A by assignment the last go around.

Correct. They had the option to move down when three teams moved up but chose to stay in 6A. Dixie ended up dropping down.

Ahhh, gotcha. I didn't remember that part.

On Boone County last time the KHSAA said specifically:

Declined to Move Lower, as (a) result, will be considered playing up for 2015-2018.

http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/20152018/ListingbyClassbyEnrollmentwithEnrollments.pdf