Let the offseason begin: Reds seek new hitting, pitching coaches

stark

The Reds did not offer hitting coach Chris Chambliss a contract for 2007, the team announced today. Chambliss, who spent the last three seasons as hitting coach, saw the Reds drop from first in the NL in runs last year to ninth this year.

The team also will be looking for a new pitching coach entering 2007. Vern Ruhle, who missed all of 2006 after being diagnosed with cancer, will be reassigned within the organization. Tom Hume, his season-long replacement, will return to his longtime job as the bullpen coach. Lee Tunnell, the interim bullpen coach, will not return to the major league staff but could be reassigned within the organization. He originally signed on last winter to be the pitching coach at Louisville.

The remaining coaches from the 2006 staff will return to their jobs: Bucky Dent as bench coach, Billy Hatcher as first base coach, Mark Berry as third base coach and Mike Stefanski as bullpen catcher.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally when shake-up moves like this happen, the next axe to fall is usually on the neck of the Manager....Might have been the 'ole...."You bring in the guys to get it done or you're done"....type of private speech and then gloss it over, in the public/media.

I'm like GT, this is interesting and I thought it wouldn't start, till after the WS.

....Oh My :sssh:

Generally when shake-up moves like this happen, the next axe to fall is usually on the neck of the Manager....Might have been the 'ole...."You bring in the guys to get it done or you're done"....type of private speech and then gloss it over, in the public/media.

I'm like GT, this is interesting and I thought it wouldn't start, till after the WS.

....Oh My :sssh:

So are you implying that Narron is on a short leash at the beginning of next season?

From Lance's blog

How did he do?

Reds team numbers with Chris Chambliss

Year--Avg-ab's--bb's--k's---w/Risp

2006 .257-5515-614-1192-.243

2005 .261-5565-611-1303-.256

2004 .250-5518-599-1335-.248

Previous to Chambliss

2003 .245-5509-524-1326-.250

2002 .253-5470-583-1188-.231

Hmmm, team walks went up each of his three years

team k's went down each of his three years

avg/RISP was poor

Lancaster...

Just talked to Wayne Krivsky, who said Chambliss was informed of the decision last week. He declined to specify any reasons for the dismissal.

"We like Chris a lot," said Krivsky. "He’s a consummate pro, a quality person, he knows hitting. I can’t say anything bad about the guy."

As for Hume vacating the pitching coach role, this was Krivsky's response:

"Humie did a nice job, but we just felt like he was best suited for the ‘pen. He’s got a lot of background with all our guys and it’ll be helpful to whoever the pitching coach is."

I also asked who made the final call on the staff changes.

"Ultimately, it’s Jerry’s call," said Krivsky. "We talk all the time and Jerry and I don’t disagree on much on a serious level. Well, there might be one, but he says all that stuff in jest, anyway."

That would be the ongoing passion play about whether to bring up Homer Bailey

Lancaster...

Just talked to Wayne Krivsky, who said Chambliss was informed of the decision last week. He declined to specify any reasons for the dismissal.

"We like Chris a lot," said Krivsky. "He’s a consummate pro, a quality person, he knows hitting. I can’t say anything bad about the guy."

As for Hume vacating the pitching coach role, this was Krivsky's response:

"Humie did a nice job, but we just felt like he was best suited for the ‘pen. He’s got a lot of background with all our guys and it’ll be helpful to whoever the pitching coach is."

I also asked who made the final call on the staff changes.

"Ultimately, it’s Jerry’s call," said Krivsky. "We talk all the time and Jerry and I don’t disagree on much on a serious level. Well, there might be one, but he says all that stuff in jest, anyway."

That would be the ongoing passion play about whether to bring up Homer Bailey

Not to question GM Krivsky and I'm certain, managers get input....but in most professional sports businesses, Managers make recommendations but GM's, have the final say....why have them otherwise, with the exception to separate in negotiations.