Over the limit of games

lynks66

Has anyone heard of any teams going over their limit in games? I know this usually happens to someone at this point in the season. Just hadn't heard of anyone being declared ineligible for districts.

What sport are you referring to?

This has happened in basketball. One school, WKY I believe, drew a team in the first round of the district. The coach knew his opposing team was over the limit and he turned them into the KHSAA. The KHSAA ruled them ineligible and the coach's team advanced. He lost his job afterwards and the superintendent indicated he was not fond of the underhandeness of winning that game.

I believe Highlands boys soccer team had issues with this 2-3 seasons ago but I am not sure if they were declared ineligible for the tournament or not.

Here is the link to the KHSAA website on soccer seasons.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw25bysport/bl25so.pdf

4) Specific Penalties for Violations - Too Many Contests

Any school violating provisions of this Bylaw by playing

too many contests may not be eligible for state

championship competition or may be otherwise penalized.

For the determination to be made that the limit has been

exceeded, it shall be reported in writing and received

by the KHSAA prior to 12:01 a.m. (midnight) ET on

the first day of the postseason tournament series as

established by the KHSAA Memorandum Calendar.

If detected and verified, the team exceeding the limit

shall be ineligible for postseason play and may be further

penalized in accordance with Bylaw 33. If the report is

made after that point, the team shall be penalized in

accordance with Bylaw 33 but shall remain

Yes 2 seasons ago Highlands had problems with this. However, the penalty was simple that their head coach could not be on the sideline for the district games. Highlands lost first round to NCC when Highlands was very very good (top 10 I believe).

I thought I saw somewhere that Woodford County was over the limit in soccer games this year, but I can't even remember if it was boys or girls. Don't know if it is verifiable through the KHSAA or some other source; just something I saw recently.

I thought I saw somewhere that Woodford County was over the limit in soccer games this year, but I can't even remember if it was boys or girls. Don't know if it is verifiable through the KHSAA or some other source; just something I saw recently.

It was on one of the local Lex news station and they interviewed the Woodford County girls soccer team seniors.

Yes 2 seasons ago Highlands had problems with this. However, the penalty was simple that their head coach could not be on the sideline for the district games. Highlands lost first round to NCC when Highlands was very very good (top 10 I believe).

Didn't he have to sit out some of the games the following season and they were limited on the number of games they could actually play the following season?

Are the rules regarding tournaments THAT confusing? This just seems inexcusable.

There are several schools that have played in excess of 17 games prior to districts, but sometimes multiple games in tournaments don't always count as multiple games against the limit, correct?

In any event, my heart goes out to the players; especially the seniors. Again, it's just inconceivable that a coach, AD, etc. could let this happen.

Woodford Co disqualified from 25th District play for game-limit violation

The top-seeded Woodford County girls' soccer team was banned from the 25th District Tournament because it exceeded the maximum number of games teams are allowed to play in a season, the KHSAA ruled yesterday.

Real nice sportsmanship by the individual reporting the infraction.

Whoever reported this timed it perfectly," Brown said. "If they were so concerned, why wouldn't they call and give me a heads-up and say, 'Cancel that game, so you're eligible for districts?'"

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/15720463.htm

Are the rules regarding tournaments THAT confusing? This just seems inexcusable.

There are several schools that have played in excess of 17 games prior to districts, but sometimes multiple games in tournaments don't always count as multiple games against the limit, correct?

In any event, my heart goes out to the players; especially the seniors. Again, it's just inconceivable that a coach, AD, etc. could let this happen.

It can be. In basketball and one and out tournament is counting different than a round robin. And you only get to count two tournaments at a discounted rate. And if you make it to the state of Class A, than the regional counts as one of the tournament and the state counts as your second tournament. So any other tournaments, you now have to count as the amount of games played or vice versa.

It can be very confusing in scheduling.

Not to dump on the Woodford County athletic department in particular, but doesn't the KHSAA sponsor rules clinics? Maybe I'm naive, but I would think that there are ways that aren't terribly onerous to keep current on rule changes.

I have mixed feelings about someone "turning Woodford County in" after they had played the 18th game rather than before. I'd like to think that if I were a coach and I knew about the possible violation; I'd let someone know BEFORE they played the 18th game rather than afterwards. However, if I were a coach and my girls stood to gain, maybe it would be tempting to be the whistleblower. Thankfully I'm not in any such position.

Not to dump on the Woodford County athletic department in particular, but doesn't the KHSAA sponsor rules clinics? Maybe I'm naive, but I would think that there are ways that aren't terribly onerous to keep current on rule changes.

I have mixed feelings about someone "turning Woodford County in" after they had played the 18th game rather than before. I'd like to think that if I were a coach and I knew about the possible violation; I'd let someone know BEFORE they played the 18th game rather than afterwards. However, if I were a coach and my girls stood to gain, maybe it would be tempting to be the whistleblower. Thankfully I'm not in any such position.

Or maybe you are looking at it as the other team has gained an advantage with more experience and gametime that your players did not receive because you followed the rules.

Why the guilt for pointing out that another team did not follow the rules that the other teams are abiding by? If the KHSAA rules that it was innocent and no harm, so be it. That is NOT your role in the matter to make a decision on it. Is it not your role as a head coach to see to it that your players and the players that they are competing against are on as equal levels as possible come district time?

Or maybe you are looking at it as the other team has gained an advantage with more experience and gametime that your players did not receive because you followed the rules.

Why the guilt for pointing out that another team did not follow the rules that the other teams are abiding by? If the KHSAA rules that it was innocent and no harm, so be it. That is NOT your role in the matter to make a decision on it. Is it not your role as a head coach to see to it that your players and the players that they are competing against are on as equal levels as possible come district time?

That's why I think I'd have mixed feelings. The rule is in place to keep teams from gaining a competitive advantage.

Interestingly enough, there are rules in place regarding MINIMUM numbers of contests as well. For example (I guess this is still true), for a cross-country runner to participate in the regionals (there are no district meets in XC), they have to have participated in at least 4 varsity races during the regular season. With as many runners and XC events (and it's much more complicated in track/field), it's tough to keep track - from an opposing coach's viewpoint - how many races/events that opposing team's athletes have entered.

Now, there are ways around this as well. It used to be that (and maybe it still is) a runner could report to the start line, run 5 feet and drop out of the race; and the race would count as a varsity race. An easy way to "save your legs" late in the season, particularly for someone who may have not been participating early in the season for one reason or another.

Former Caldwell County (and current Boone County) basketball coach Greg McQuery did the same thing several years ago. They actually sent an assistant to the final regular season game that put Trigg over the limit, then contacted the KHSAA over the weekend to report it. Trigg, who had won 6 of 8 to end the season, was disqualified from the district tournament and their first round opponent -- Caldwell County got a bye.

Two things. First, it is up to the AD or in some cases, the assistant AD to keep track of these things. For Trigg Co., a miscalculation in regards to the All-A Tournament did them in.

Second, Caldwell's AD publicly said McQuery handled the situation wrong and should have reported it to them first, instead of the KHSAA.