Over the limit of games

lynks66

Former Caldwell County (and current Boone County) basketball coach Greg McQuery did the same thing several years ago. They actually sent an assistant to the final regular season game that put Trigg over the limit, then contacted the KHSAA over the weekend to report it. Trigg, who had won 6 of 8 to end the season, was disqualified from the district tournament and their first round opponent -- Caldwell County got a bye.

Two things. First, it is up to the AD or in some cases, the assistant AD to keep track of these things. For Trigg Co., a miscalculation in regards to the All-A Tournament did them in.

Second, Caldwell's AD publicly said McQuery handled the situation wrong and should have reported it to them first, instead of the KHSAA.

I couldn't remember the schools and alluded to that in post #2. Didn't he lose his job as a result?

That's why I think I'd have mixed feelings. The rule is in place to keep teams from gaining a competitive advantage.

Interestingly enough, there are rules in place regarding MINIMUM numbers of contests as well. For example (I guess this is still true), for a cross-country runner to participate in the regionals (there are no district meets in XC), they have to have participated in at least 4 varsity races during the regular season. With as many runners and XC events (and it's much more complicated in track/field), it's tough to keep track - from an opposing coach's viewpoint - how many races/events that opposing team's athletes have entered.

Now, there are ways around this as well. It used to be that (and maybe it still is) a runner could report to the start line, run 5 feet and drop out of the race; and the race would count as a varsity race. An easy way to "save your legs" late in the season, particularly for someone who may have not been participating early in the season for one reason or another.

Golf does too. 4 matches. Although I was told this was to help schools. It seems some players wanted to play zero HS matches and just play in regional and state. They were "too good" for the HS matches and wanted the regional/state championships for collegiate chances. So the KHSAA added the 4 match minimum stipulation.

Don't really know how accurate that reasoning was, but was I was told.

Not to dump on the Woodford County athletic department in particular, but doesn't the KHSAA sponsor rules clinics? Maybe I'm naive, but I would think that there are ways that aren't terribly onerous to keep current on rule changes.

I have mixed feelings about someone "turning Woodford County in" after they had played the 18th game rather than before. I'd like to think that if I were a coach and I knew about the possible violation; I'd let someone know BEFORE they played the 18th game rather than afterwards. However, if I were a coach and my girls stood to gain, maybe it would be tempting to be the whistleblower. Thankfully I'm not in any such position.

I am fairly close to this situation and from my information, the school that turned WC in was "laying in wait" with the information. The decent thing to do would have been to inform the coach or the AD that they thought that WC had too many games on the schedule before it was too late. Granted, they are under no obligation to do so, but the way it was handled only hurts the girls involved who are completely innocent. A shame all around.

I have discussed this with several other coaches and there will be a proposal to change bylaw 25 to a flat number of games removing the special counting/consdieration for tournaments.

I am fairly close to this situation and from my information, the school that turned WC in was "laying in wait" with the information. The decent thing to do would have been to inform the coach or the AD that they thought that WC had too many games on the schedule before it was too late. Granted, they are under no obligation to do so, but the way it was handled only hurts the girls involved who are completely innocent. A shame all around.

I have discussed this with several other coaches and there will be a proposal to change bylaw 25 to a flat number of games removing the special counting/consdieration for tournaments.

That in all sports has been under consideration for awhile. The only thing that is the negative is that tournaments got people to travel to them because there was a benefit to going. You got an extra game. Now that benefit is gone.

I can go away and play 3 games and spend hundreds/thousands of dollars or stay at home get the EXACT SAME number of games and not spend that much money.

The fallout may be a decrease in teams willing to travel to tournaments.

Gunner, do you think that the proposal will advocate for an increase in the number of games to maybe 18-20? That would allow for the elite teams to compete in a couple of round-robin tourneys against top-notch competition; allow the Class A teams to participate in the all-A event, and still leave room for a decent number of "regular-season matches".

Yes. Pretty much the way the rules are now everyone plays somewhere between 17 and 20 matches. It would really be difficult to play more than that in the short amount of time the season lasts. 20 equals about 2.6 games per week. A 20 maximum would be acceptable to me.

From what I understand, It was not a school official that turned Woodford Co. in, but a parent. I don't know for sure, but from what I have heard, the parent doesn't have a child that plays soccer. Other things that I have heard speak to the fact that Woodford Co. did the same thing last year, but was not caught.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone watching a PGA tournament call the association to report a violation on Tiger Woods, that the person saw on TV?

From what I understand, It was not a school official that turned Woodford Co. in, but a parent. I don't know for sure, but from what I have heard, the parent doesn't have a child that plays soccer. Other things that I have heard speak to the fact that Woodford Co. did the same thing last year, but was not caught.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone watching a PGA tournament call the association to report a violation on Tiger Woods, that the person saw on TV?

I remember someone watching TV and turning in Craig Stadler for "building a stance" with a towel.

I have direct knowledge that this is NOT the case.