thsrocks

Change playoff system?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Change playoff system?

• Leave as is
    • Modify districts with fewer playoff teams
    • Do away with districts, like Indiana model
    • Other -please add comments

I believe Kentucky could use the Indiana model for football playoffs. They have no districts. They use a blind draw by region

Thee are some byes. Kentucky could easily do this. Number 1 seeds versus number 4 or in some cases #5 seeds would be much more random. And the lower seeds could end up with a home game versus a higher seed.

Another option could be to limit each region to four districts. The number could be capped at 9-meanng only two non-district games for those teams. Place a minimum of 8 teams and only three non-district game would be needed to fill the schedules. Playoffs could include only top four or go with 6 with a bye for #1 and #2 seeds. That's 144 playoff teams.

I didn't like the Indiana model at first. But it has grown on me. It would free up scheduling for teams to make more creative, attractive match ups.

It actually spices up the first round of the playoffs too when you get the inevitable #1 vs #2 match up in the first round.

I remember 1983 when CCH went 1-3 to start and because the third loss knew they were out of the playoffs due to the four team subdistricts or district. They went undefeated the rest of the year 7-3 but no playoffs. No subdistricts now but still a broader region based system might keep it interesting all year.

I didn't like the Indiana model at first. But it has grown on me. It would free up scheduling for teams to make more creative, attractive match ups.

It actually spices up the first round of the playoffs too when you get the inevitable #1 vs #2 match up in the first round.

People in Kentucky would lose their minds if that happened...I'd be fine with it, because you have to beat everyone at some point. We now have people complaining and screaming at the top of their lungs if #1 and #2 meet in the Semi Finals, meeting in the first round would cause a total melt down.

I remember 1983 when CCH went 1-3 to start and because the third loss knew they were out of the playoffs due to the four team subdistricts or district. They went undefeated the rest of the year 7-3 but no playoffs. No subdistricts now but still a broader region based system might keep it interesting all year.

Somerset had a similar experience in 82. #1 rank team in the state lost a very controversial game by 1 point at a district opponent and were eliminated from the playoffs. They went on to destroy the eventual state champs on their own field, but that one loss left them at home.

Wasn't the 85 CovCath team 9 - 0 heading into the season finale with Lloyd? Lost that game to finish 9 - 1, but second to Lloyd in the sub-district and sat the playoffs out.

People in Kentucky would lose their minds if that happened...I'd be fine with it, because you have to beat everyone at some point. We now have people complaining and screaming at the top of their lungs if #1 and #2 meet in the Semi Finals, meeting in the first round would cause a total melt down.

I was meaning the regional #1 and #2, although it's very possible that if the top 2 teams in the state were in the same region, they could draw each other in the first round.

I'd love to see something change regarding the playoffs. As is, 70% of the season has no bearing on the post season at all.

The only games that have any bearing on the playoffs will always be just the district games, that's how we get great games during the season like Mayfield and Corbin that otherwise would have never met. Expand to 7 or 8 district games per year and we lose a lot of great rivalries across classes. Central would never get to play up to tougher competition during the season, many schools that dominate districts each year would just be locked into more games against weaker district opponents. Those 3 to 4 district games at the end of the season determine home games for the playoffs, which is how it should be.

I was meaning the regional #1 and #2, although it's very possible that if the top 2 teams in the state were in the same region, they could draw each other in the first round.

Even in that situation, people would go crazy...especially on here :lol2:

Imagine Desales and CAL meeting in the first round or St. X and Trinity playing the first weekend of the playoffs...it would be a total melt down :lol2:

I especially hate the last week of the season. The 10th game is almost across the board meaningless

Many schools are now off that week. I'm not sure why the KHSAA determined that district play has to be completed prior to week 10, but it has led to every week 10 game being meaningless, unless their is a three way tie in a district and in comes into the tie breaker.

Even in that situation, people would go crazy...especially on here :lol2:

Imagine Desales and CAL meeting in the first round or St. X and Trinity playing the first weekend of the playoffs...it would be a total melt down :lol2:

Fans of those schools would melt down. I think the other 6 teams in the region would be cool with it.

:jump: