June 15, 20179 yr What I find the biggest surprise? Is that the UofL honchos (Pitino, etc.) are surprised by this action. Come on man, you had to KNOW this was a very distinct possibility at least. HOPING it wouldn't happen, ok sure. Now, maybe it's all an act, playing it good for the appeals committee and they all knew and maybe even expected this. BUT, if they are true to the surprise they showed today, then to me they had their heads buried in the sand, up to their chests. I'm a UNC fan and I KNOW the exact same thing is a possibility for them. Now I HOPE it doesn't happen, but I know it very well could and would not be surprised by it. If they strip UL's title then UNC better be really nervous.
June 15, 20179 yr Crawford's tweet is imprecise at best and technically incorrect. The NCAA has instructed UofL to provide names within 45 days. Once NCAA gets those names, they will vacate wins and titles. UofL (Smrt) has apparently said the names UofL would have to provide would include 108 wins and 15 NCAA games (including title). Precision of language is important in journalism and lacking here. That was one tweet. Many others explain exactly what's happening. He's been all over this. Crawford's journalism has not been lacking on this in any way.
June 15, 20179 yr If they strip UL's title then UNC better be really nervous. They should have been very worried before this. Now precedent has been set...at least in the fact that the NCAA is willing to take this action. A successful appeal will undoubtedly lesson the punishment, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.
June 15, 20179 yr The Thomas More girls lost a national championship for a lot less. That is what came to mind as well... ...The NCAA estimated the impermissible extra benefit was worth $5,000 including housing, meals and brief use of a vehicle. The NCAA said it found that the violations were "major,"... So how much time would it take the NCAA to calculate worth of the impermissible extra benefits at UL? Is it based on how much the hookers and strippers were paid? Or the then going rate for a lap dance, BJ, and more? No rational human being can possibly believe that staying with a family friend after surgery is even remotely comparable let alone worse than the illegal activities at UL. If UL doesn't lose the title, TMC should get on the phone to the NCAA... Maybe a Title 9 lawsuit for the glaring disparity in treatment of mens vs womens programs.
June 15, 20179 yr The fact that Pitino kept his job through all this is crazy to me. Matt Jones said today on KSR that Pitino is the only coach in the nation who wouldn't get fired over this. He says UK and Duke would fire Cal and K.
June 15, 20179 yr I listened to the whole UL press conference. First, I can't be the only one who laughed with Pitino stated that he couldn't stay up past 10:00 P.M. Porcini? I guess getting old really sucks. Second, it really sounded like he was trying to blame Jimmy V getting cancer on the NCAA investigation. I admit that I have blue tinted vision, but I don't think Pitino came across very well at the press conference.
June 15, 20179 yr Matt Jones said today on KSR that Pitino is the only coach in the nation who wouldn't get fired over this. He says UK and Duke would fire Cal and K. Do you think Duke would fire K over something like this? I'd like to think UK would fire Cal or any coach for that matter but not sure I believe it.
June 15, 20179 yr Do you think Duke would fire K over something like this? I'd like to think UK would fire Cal or any coach for that matter but not sure I believe it. I don't think they would but Matt Jones said that the faculty at Duke would revolt if this happens there and that K wouldn't survive. Duke has always given off the image that K is bigger than Duke so I don't know if I think they would fire him over that. I don't think UK would fire Cal over that either.
June 15, 20179 yr I listened to the whole UL press conference. First, I can't be the only one who laughed with Pitino stated that he couldn't stay up past 10:00 P.M. Porcini? I guess getting old really sucks. Second, it really sounded like he was trying to blame Jimmy V getting cancer on the NCAA investigation. I admit that I have blue tinted vision, but I don't think Pitino came across very well at the press conference. I can't stand Pitino and I will never like him but I thoroughly enjoyed angry Pitino. :lol2: :lol2:
June 15, 20179 yr I don't think they would but Matt Jones said that the faculty at Duke would revolt if this happens there and that K wouldn't survive. Duke has always given off the image that K is bigger than Duke so I don't know if I think they would fire him over that. I don't think UK would fire Cal over that either. That's kind of where I'm at. In regards to UK there is at least some evidence in my life time that says they would. Sutton and Mumme both were moved out over violations under their watch. Now neither was at Cal's level so who knows.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.