Extra Inning games

I went to a doubleheader at Riverfront(you know, back before DH'ers were done away with) where the first game went 16 innings. I watched 25 innings of baseball that day for eight bucks and loved every last inning of it. I guess you were okay with the MLB doing away with doubleheaders too.

Poor guys don't need to play that many innings.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another point, what about player safety, specifically pitchers and catchers with all the extra innings.

It was never an issue back when Rose, Concepcion, Morgan, and sometimes even Bench played both ends of a doubleheader. Not to mention when Old Hoss Radbourn or Icebox Chamberlain threw more than 420 innings a season. Bad, bad argument. Are you saying today's players are wussies and need more rest? I don't buy it.

It was never an issue back when Rose, Concepcion, Morgan, and sometimes even Bench played both ends of a doubleheader. Not to mention when Old Hoss Radbourn or Icebox Chamberlain threw more than 420 innings a season. Bad, bad argument. Are you saying today's players are wussies and need more rest? I don't buy it.

Todays players make way more money now, so do the owners. I would venture a guess that extra innings games cost teams more money in the long run.

Todays players make way more money now, so do the owners. I would venture a guess that extra innings games cost teams more money in the long run.

How does extra innings cost teams more money in the long run?

How does extra innings cost teams more money in the long run?

Lets think for a second about the operational cost to run the stadium lights and electronics, and other utilities longer. Paying the grounds crew extra to stick around till the game is over to do their thing. Usher have to stay longer, security has to stay longer. Not all fans stick around to watch the extra innings, so less concessions are sold to cover these cost, most of them shut down before a normally 9 inning game is over. You are not getting more money from ticket prices, so really its mostly cost and very little revenue after 9 innings.

Lets think for a second about the operational cost to run the stadium lights and electronics, and other utilities longer. Paying the grounds crew extra to stick around till the game is over to do their thing. Usher have to stay longer, security has to stay longer. Not all fans stick around to watch the extra innings, so less concessions are sold to cover these cost, most of them shut down before a normally 9 inning game is over. You are not getting more money from ticket prices, so really its mostly cost and very little revenue after 9 innings.

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

and how often does this happen?

I just crapped by britches. Thanks so much.

185 Games last year.

so that would be 370 teams that played in those 185 games. That would be an average of 12 per team and lets say half is played at their stadium. So on average a team has 6 extra inning games a year at their stadium. I think they can afford that.

so that would be 370 teams that played in those 185 games. That would be an average of 12 per team and lets say half is played at their stadium. So on average a team has 6 extra inning games a year at their stadium. I think they can afford that.

Thats what the Expos said too.