Extra Inning games

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the fact that a defense can give up a run without a hit, a walk, or an error. That's a clean inning for the first 9, why should it change in extra innings?

Most sports have different overtime rules, how would this be any different.

So is playing 18 innings.

No it's not. It's free baseball, and its great. How is putting someone on 2nd with no outs going to end the game any quicker? Both teams will still have the same opportunity or percentage of scoring.

Baseball is different than other sports in so many ways. I hate these kinds of proposed changes. If the game is running too long, I'd be more in favor of suspending the game after a certain inning or time frame (e.g. 4 hours) and resuming it later. If they resumed it the next night prior to the regularly scheduled game, I'd give the teams the ability to fly in some extra pitchers to help out. But, don't change the basic rules of the game!

Lets look at it compared to other pro sports.

NHL Overtime period is 20 minutes (or until goal is scored) so that is 1/3 the length of a regular game

NBA Overtime is 5 minute periods, so that is 1/10 the length of a regular game

NFL Overtime is 15 minutes (Max), so that is 1/4 the length of a regular game.

Being a regular baseball game is 9 inning, extra innings shouldnt go past the 12th inning.

Lets look at it compared to other pro sports.

NHL Overtime period is 20 minutes (or until goal is scored) so that is 1/3 the length of a regular game

NBA Overtime is 5 minute periods, so that is 1/10 the length of a regular game

NFL Overtime is 15 minutes (Max), so that is 1/4 the length of a regular game.

Being a regular baseball game is 9 inning, extra innings shouldnt go past the 12th inning.

Basketball overtime maybe 5 minutes but they don't stop if it is still tied after it is over. They play another OT.

So is playing 18 innings.

I went to a doubleheader at Riverfront(you know, back before DH'ers were done away with) where the first game went 16 innings. I watched 25 innings of baseball that day for eight bucks and loved every last inning of it. I guess you were okay with the MLB doing away with doubleheaders too.