KY Kids Playing For Indiana Elite

He did leave, he only played a little in Dallas on the Gold 17's Vision 22 team. Might have been too much for him. He's now playing with Hoop Dreams 16's Silver team, kinda a step back I think, but he did have like 18pts and 20 Rebounds in his 1st game with them I believe...

Probably for the best. Nothing wrong with playing with your age group. Lot of mouths to feed on that 22 Vision team.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably for the best. Nothing wrong with playing with your age group. Lot of mouths to feed on that 22 Vision team.

Had nothing to do with a lot of mouths to feed. He simply is not ready mentally or physically to compete at that level yet.

Had nothing to do with a lot of mouths to feed. He simply is not ready mentally or physically to compete at that level yet.

I would agree with this based on what I know and have heard. Exceptional talent who can earn himself a free education as long as he stays focused.

Allen wasn't a good fit for 22 only because he's a true wing player and should not be taking a back seat to anyone other then Romeo on that team.

That's not a knock at all on any of the kids just a fact .

Allen wasn't a good fit for 22 only because he's a true wing player and should not be taking a back seat to anyone other then Romeo on that team.

That's not a knock at all on any of the kids just a fact .

Actually that IS a knock.

I am going to suggest that many kids who have:

A) played on their HS team or even been on an AAU team where they are no question "The Man" status and...

B) where they are rarely taken out of a game

they sometimes have a difficult transition to being on a team with several if not the entire team of players who equally are as talented or perhaps even better.

That is just not Allen, but many kids. It is a situation that I believe is more prevalent here in KY where the D1 talent depth on many teams in HS ball is very scarce. So the kids who have that all of a sudden never adjust to fitting in with a team chock full of those same type guys. Getting on a solid circuit team that offers that opportunity to find a way to fit in to be a key piece of the team is a challenge that some prefer to not take so they look for the situation where they can be that dominant player on a team. Nothing wrong with either approach, but sooner or later you reach a level of basketball that you simply are not going to be the only great player on a team unless you are a "Lebron" type talent.

To prepare for college I like to see kids learn to play in various roles and fight for minutes as well as make the coach keep you on the floor. It gets kids out of their comfort zone and helps them with the mental challenges they will face in their future.

The FACTS are that he was not mentally or physically ready to compete at that level. Not a knock on him because he is a great player at the level that he should be playing at. Needed to be way more physical on defense and needs to work on creating to get a shot off against equally sized players. AGAIN, the kid is a great player but any realistic person watching the games could see that he is not ready for the 17U Adidas Gauntlet Circuit.

He was one of the best rebounders on the team. If played at his natural position I believe the team would had went 4-0 . At the end of the day you can believe whatever you want.

That's right, we all have our own opinions. You obviously have a connection with Dontaie and I am merely a third party observer. Sometimes people associated with certain kids do not like to hear the truth. He needs to work on being more physical which you cannot teach and creating shots against equally talented and same height players. You saying that 22 would have went 4-0 with him playing his so-called true position speaks volumes about you. Some kids need to be knocked back down a notch and told the truth about their game instead of being caudled and told they are the best thing since sliced bread. Can't wait to see Dontaie's improvement the next two years and be a monster on the court.

He was one of the best rebounders on the team. If played at his natural position I believe the team would had went 4-0 . At the end of the day you can believe whatever you want.

I agree he is a wing, but from what I saw of several games the team played a point and a center with 3 wings. It is true Romeo is a dominant wing player who has earned his stripes so to speak. The rest of the team has some good players that need to earn their playing time with their production and ability to make others better. I don't feel he should take a backseat to anyone, but guys like Faulkner and Kunkel would not be taking backseats to him either. The coach should be playing the wings who rebound, defend and are productive offensively.

Edited by coachlee

I agree he is a wing, but from what I saw of several games the team played a point and a center with 3 wings. It is true Romeo is a dominant wing player who has earned his stripes so to speak. The rest of the team has some good players that need to earn their playing time with their production and ability to make others better. I don't feel he should take a backseat to anyone, but guys like Faulkner and Kunkel would not be taking backseats to him either. The coach should be playing the wings who rebound, defend and are productive offensively.

Perfectly stated. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
Indiana Elite is the cream of the crop in the Midwest. Great organization with super coaching and player development.

Indiana Elite provides the most exposure on the best team for the least amount of money. These kids get an all expense paid experience to compete at the highest level.

However, at this age it is not about player development. They have a combine weekend early in the season where the team is together for an entire weekend. They install all of their stuff. That is basically it.

One big problem is Greater Cincinnati doesn't have an Elite program like this. Many of these Kids should stay local. But, there hasn't been a group that can keep the kids together. The 2020 class in Greater Cincy has kids going all over to play. If they'd just join forces there'd be an option.

The problem is the shoe companies haven't recognized this region and supported a program.

Kentucky Royals 2019 includes a lot of top 9th and 10th region players (Deere, Houston, Macke, Ohmer, Jolly, Allen), with a couple additions from Cincinnati (Alec Pfreim and Justin Pappas). A lot of D1 buzz last weekend in Ft. Wayne when they blew through pool play and bracket play 4-0 and battled EYBL Indy Heat, Dontaie Allen with 37 and Alec Pfreim 25 for the Royals, Isaiah Thompson with 35 for the Heat. They still need the shoe company contract and there have been conversations with Nike, so we will see.

Indiana Elite provides the most exposure on the best team for the least amount of money. These kids get an all expense paid experience to compete at the highest level.

However, at this age it is not about player development. They have a combine weekend early in the season where the team is together for an entire weekend. They install all of their stuff. That is basically it.

One big problem is Greater Cincinnati doesn't have an Elite program like this. Many of these Kids should stay local. But, there hasn't been a group that can keep the kids together. The 2020 class in Greater Cincy has kids going all over to play. If they'd just join forces there'd be an option.

The problem is the shoe companies haven't recognized this region and supported a program.

Greater Cincy is like the odd man out when it comes to having a shoe sponsored team, but it is more due to the shoe companies like to avoid change when they find success with programs. NIKE has had All OH Red and King James for the longest in OH. King James has had some turmoil this past year, but as long as they survive there is not going to be a 3rd program in OH. Adidas has OBC that is a long standing OH program and then Indiana Elite not far away. These programs don't want to see another program get sponsored in their area of recruiting so they want some protection as long as they are getting the top prospects in the market. The entire situation makes it very hard to see a new program jump into the mix. Not sure what Under Armor has in the area, but as far as NIKE & Adidas it will be unlikely to see a new program jump in unless King James can't get it back on track.