Am I Over Reacting?

Recently in the news near me, high school athletes have been going through the signing ceremonies just to play JV sports at NAIA schools, these individuals have never started a high school varsity sport and yet they go through the “signing process”. As a former high school athlete it irritates me to see this. Not because I'm not happy for the individuals to get the opportunity to play at the next level, but because if you are going to play JV then it really isn't much different from playing intramural or club sports at a big university. It’s unfair and ridiculous for those individuals to get the same recognition as those who have signed legitimate NLI.

That being said, I think signing ceremonies should only be for those who are receiving athletic scholarships. If you aren't going on scholarship then there's no difference in you or Tom, Dick, and Harry who are going to the same school just for academics and are paying for it out of their pocket.

It seems to me as if people are starting to take this situation less and less serious because more and more of these type of situations are occurring. There should be some type of standard/requirement to meet in order to go through the signing ceremonies.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the world of sports anything is possible, maybe some of the kids who are just signing for a "JV' team end up becoming starters on the varsity level, weird things happen. So, that being said if a kid gets to continue his/her athletic career at the next level they should have a signing ceremony.

Awesome post saw college walk ons signing in NKY ..... I agree with the post 100 percent . I also see kids tweet out fake basketball offers that aren't real . Happen last month by a kid in the ninth region with Winthrop and a former coach at the school called the coach and never had heard of the high school kid . College schollies are real when you sign !

Recently in the news near me, high school athletes have been going through the signing ceremonies just to play JV sports at NAIA schools, these individuals have never started a high school varsity sport and yet they go through the “signing process”. As a former high school athlete it irritates me to see this. Not because I'm not happy for the individuals to get the opportunity to play at the next level, but because if you are going to play JV then it really isn't much different from playing intramural or club sports at a big university. It’s unfair and ridiculous for those individuals to get the same recognition as those who have signed legitimate NLI.

That being said, I think signing ceremonies should only be for those who are receiving athletic scholarships. If you aren't going on scholarship then there's no difference in you or Tom, Dick, and Harry who are going to the same school just for academics and are paying for it out of their pocket.

It seems to me as if people are starting to take this situation less and less serious because more and more of these type of situations are occurring. There should be some type of standard/requirement to meet in order to go through the signing ceremonies.

Little confused. Tom, Dick or Harry still have to make the team at a NCAA D3 or the NAIA level. Just because they are paying out of pocket to attend the school doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment to make the team. Just my opinion.

I witnessed firsthand two girls have a signing ceremony to go be managers/water girls @ an NAIA school.... lol:idunno:

In the world of sports anything is possible, maybe some of the kids who are just signing for a "JV' team end up becoming starters on the varsity level, weird things happen. So, that being said if a kid gets to continue his/her athletic career at the next level they should have a signing ceremony.

I am all for kids being able to continue their athletic career in college, I think it is great.

If I look at the scenario you are describing, in which a kid is signing for a "JV" team, what exactly are these kids signing at this ceremony?

Julian tacket calls it the "cocktail party offers". Meaning, I'm going to georgetown to sit on the bench for a $250 meal card in order for my parents to be able to tell their friends that "my son is playing ball at georgetown". In reality, if the kid had spent more time working on school he could have gotten $7,500 because of good grades.

It's why specialization is bad, it's why fooling yourself into thinking you can get college paid for is bad etc...

Much of it is pushed by the high school coach for their own benefit. We see kids in Hopkinsville doing signing ceremonies on fake sheets of paper that say they are going to play for the club team at jefferson community college. (this is not sarcasm or a joke) It happens...

It's reached a ridiculous point.

What do you mean by that may I ask?

Kids having signing ceremonies that aren't getting any athletic scholarship is basically the same as giving participation trophies, which is what I believe @Basketball12345 is saying.

The purpose of signing a National Letter of Intent is to accept an athletic scholarship to a certain school, so if you aren't receiving a scholarship then you shouldn't be having a signing ceremony. IMO.

Julian tacket calls it the "cocktail party offers". Meaning, I'm going to georgetown to sit on the bench for a $250 meal card in order for my parents to be able to tell their friends that "my son is playing ball at georgetown". In reality, if the kid had spent more time working on school he could have gotten $7,500 because of good grades.

It's why specialization is bad, it's why fooling yourself into thinking you can get college paid for is bad etc...

Much of it is pushed by the high school coach for their own benefit. We see kids in Hopkinsville doing signing ceremonies on fake sheets of paper that say they are going to play for the club team at jefferson community college. (this is not sarcasm or a joke) It happens...

It's reached a ridiculous point.

The same situation here, an individual here locally had a signing ceremony to play baseball at Union College. This player has not played a minute of high school varsity baseball and the high school coach also has connections at Union College. It just blows my mind that this stuff happens, if it were my kid they would not being doing a signing ceremony unless they earned the right to have one. Bottom line.