March 13, 20179 yr All us UK fans saying he should be fired. His team beat our team last year. He's done way more than Kelvin Simpson and Mike Davis. I dislike Cal for dodging IU. Yes he's dodging IUI'm going to be generous and throw out Crean's first 3 years at IU. When you do that he and Davis both have 6 years of service. Davis - 115-79 (.593) overall, 55-41 (.573) B10...4 tournament appearances - made 1 title game, 2 second round losses, 1 first round loss Crean - 138-68 (.670) overall, 63-45 (.583) B10...4 tournament appearances - 3 sweet 16, 1 first round loss Way more?
March 13, 20179 yr Author If the Hoosiers lose at home tomorrow night in the first round of the N.I.T. Does the seat get any hotter? Thought I heard that the Hoosiers declined the right to host and are playing this one on the road.
March 13, 20179 yr Thought I heard that the Hoosiers declined the right to host and are playing this one on the road. Oh I hadn't heard that just saw on the bracket last night they were listed as the home team. If that is true will be tougher for them to win then I think.
March 13, 20179 yr I'm going to be generous and throw out Crean's first 3 years at IU. When you do that he and Davis both have 6 years of service. Davis - 115-79 (.593) overall, 55-41 (.573) B10...4 tournament appearances - made 1 title game, 2 second round losses, 1 first round loss Crean - 138-68 (.670) overall, 63-45 (.583) B10...4 tournament appearances - 3 sweet 16, 1 first round loss Way more? And for the record I'm not saying one way or the other if he is going to be fired or should be fired. I really don't care. If I were a fan of IU I'd want him gone but as someone who has several friends that are IU fans I tend to enjoy IU keeping him around.
March 13, 20179 yr And for the record I'm not saying one way or the other if he is going to be fired or should be fired. I really don't care. If I were a fan of IU I'd want him gone but as someone who has several friends that are IU fans I tend to enjoy IU keeping him around. I'm in the same boat as you. I got several college buddies that are big IU fans. Hung out in Indy with three of them this weekend. The consensus is that they are pretty much done with him as their coach. I say give the man an extension.
March 14, 20179 yr Why did Indiana turn down their right to host the game? That just seems odd as it is potential revenue unless they feel like the fans won't show up. And who are they playing in the first round? Before any IU fans lose their mind, I believe UK did the same thing several years back in 2013. I'm not sure what the reasoning was with that either unless they thought they would lose money by hosting the game and a handful of fans showing up.
March 14, 20179 yr Why did Indiana turn down their right to host the game? That just seems odd as it is potential revenue unless they feel like the fans won't show up. And who are they playing in the first round? Before any IU fans lose their mind, I believe UK did the same thing several years back in 2013. I'm not sure what the reasoning was with that either unless they thought they would lose money by hosting the game and a handful of fans showing up. UK couldn't host the NIT game because Rupp was hosting another event.
March 14, 20179 yr Author Why did Indiana turn down their right to host the game? That just seems odd as it is potential revenue unless they feel like the fans won't show up. And who are they playing in the first round? Before any IU fans lose their mind, I believe UK did the same thing several years back in 2013. I'm not sure what the reasoning was with that either unless they thought they would lose money by hosting the game and a handful of fans showing up. I believe on KSR they said the reasoning was that they didn't believe fans would show up and it would be an even bigger embarrassment for the school. It's KSR, so who knows if that is accurate. As @Hatz mentioned, UK couldn't host the game because of an obligation to the Kentucky Boy's State Tournament already being there. I believe they couldn't hold it in Memorial because of something with the Women's program. Their only option was to play on the road.
March 14, 20179 yr Here's the scoop guys. First of all, i find it hilarious how worked up UK fans get over Indiana, still. Ultimately, you have to look at it like this. Who is the best coach that Indiana can possibly have right now? That's the question we need to answer. - Gregg Marshall - Is he really an upgrade? Really? I'm not buying it. And it doesn't move the meter for me either. Would I support the move, maybe. I wouldn't be dead against, but no chance any of you sitting out there really know if he's an upgrade. PLUS, I am leery of any dude who spells Greg with two g's. Just weird. - Brad Stevens - Absolutely hysterical to me that any person thinks he has some mythical connection to IU simply b/c he coached at Butler. Not happening. - Tom Crean - Has had a really decent run. Decent is the word I would apply to it. Up and down, take out the first 5 years, he couldn't recruit off campus for 4. And he has a pretty good record. Including a couple wins over the almighty Kentucky Wildcats. He had a young team. 1 Senior. Lost two of his 5 starters to injury. Had a really solid freshman class who were forced in to action before they were ready. They're good players, just weren't immediate impact guys. The answer to the initial question is: Tom Crean. There's no real reason to get rid of him right now. They had a down year. Ok, it happens. I don't expect him to go anywhere, I can't possibly imagine him leaving on his own. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see but it is funny how much time and energy some of you have put in to this.
March 14, 20179 yr Author First of all, i find it hilarious how worked up UK fans get over Indiana, still. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see but it is funny how much time and energy some of you have put in to this. Whose worked up? It's a blue blood program of college basketball. Of course people are going to discuss it.
March 14, 20179 yr Here's the scoop guys. First of all, i find it hilarious how worked up UK fans get over Indiana, still. Ultimately, you have to look at it like this. Who is the best coach that Indiana can possibly have right now? That's the question we need to answer. - Gregg Marshall - Is he really an upgrade? Really? I'm not buying it. And it doesn't move the meter for me either. Would I support the move, maybe. I wouldn't be dead against, but no chance any of you sitting out there really know if he's an upgrade. PLUS, I am leery of any dude who spells Greg with two g's. Just weird. - Brad Stevens - Absolutely hysterical to me that any person thinks he has some mythical connection to IU simply b/c he coached at Butler. Not happening. - Tom Crean - Has had a really decent run. Decent is the word I would apply to it. Up and down, take out the first 5 years, he couldn't recruit off campus for 4. And he has a pretty good record. Including a couple wins over the almighty Kentucky Wildcats. He had a young team. 1 Senior. Lost two of his 5 starters to injury. Had a really solid freshman class who were forced in to action before they were ready. They're good players, just weren't immediate impact guys. The answer to the initial question is: Tom Crean. There's no real reason to get rid of him right now. They had a down year. Ok, it happens. I don't expect him to go anywhere, I can't possibly imagine him leaving on his own. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see but it is funny how much time and energy some of you have put in to this. As a follower of IU basketball, I have to whole heartedly disagree with this POV. You name two coaches, which one of, I agree is more than a long shot for the Hoosiers to land (Brad Stevens). But there are absolutely coaches out there that are an upgrade over Crean that I think IU is more than capable of acquiring. One such coach being Archie Miller. Crean has had 9 years to prove what he is capable of. Yeah he has won two big ten championships (one of which came last year when the team had the easiest big ten schedule of any team in the league), and he also failed miserably in the tournament with the most talented team in college basketball when he lost handedly to Syracuse in the sweet 16. Besides these two seasons Crean has been below average finishing 5th, 8th, 7th, and 10th in the league, has missed the tournament completely twice, and has been bounced in the first round once. And thats not even including his first three years in Bloomington in which he compiled an 8-46 big ten record. I know the program was in bad shape so Im willing to give him a pass on those years. At some point IU fans deserve to expect better. I fear if Glass doesn't make a change now, IU will never be able to re-enter the discussion as an elite college basketball program.
March 14, 20179 yr If IU retains Crean expect a major revolt from the fanbase next season. I'm not sure who all they lose this season or who may transfer out, but the incoming recruiting class isn't looking like it will provide much help. If you take a quick look at the IU online forums the majority is already fed up and are even calling for the AD's head if he doesn't fire Crean.
March 14, 20179 yr UK couldn't host the NIT game because Rupp was hosting another event. I remember that now, it had completely slipped my mind that the high school tourney was going on at the same time.
March 14, 20179 yr Thought I heard that the Hoosiers declined the right to host and are playing this one on the road. They are doing upgrades to Indiana's arena and therefore it wasn't available. This same issue affected Florida last season, if I'm not mistaken.
March 14, 20179 yr UK couldn't host the NIT game because Rupp was hosting another event. True, well sort of, I attended the NIT game against UNLV played at Memorial Coliseum. That turned out to be a unique thing to me given that the Cats had not played there in so long
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.