Accountability

Plato

My brother is getting ready to head to Turkey with his family to do mission work. His wife said her main reason for going is that many in Turkey have never heard the gospel and are going to Hell.

I've done minimal research but can't find many scripture references that say that those who have never heard are condemned. I've heard of "age of accountability" somewhere along the way in my life.

Any BGPers want to share the theology that would support or refute this?

Hard for me to wrap my head around people who have never heard the Good News being held accountable. I'd think we as Christians might be held responsible for not following the great commission and taking the gospel to all nations...

Thoughts?

My brother is getting ready to head to Turkey with his family to do mission work. His wife said her main reason for going is that many in Turkey have never heard the gospel and are going to Hell.

I've done minimal research but can't find many scripture references that say that those who have never heard are condemned. I've heard of "age of accountability" somewhere along the way in my life.

Any BGPers want to share the theology that would support or refute this?

Hard for me to wrap my head around people who have never heard the Good News being held accountable. I'd think we as Christians might be held responsible for not following the great commission and taking the gospel to all nations...

Thoughts?

First off, I disagree with what your sister-in-law said but she probably gets the idea from Romans 1:18-20

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Now I do not interpret this the way others do, but some people look at this verse and would draw the same conclusion as your brother's wife.