Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rules Question

Featured Replies

I think this was covered here before but I don't remember the outcome.

 

Is there a specific rule that allows for the holder on a place kick to not be "down" once he has possession of the ball and his knee, obviously, on the ground?

This is a good question and I am not an authority however; if I interpret the rule correctly:

 

The ball is dead IF the holders knee touches the ground while he is in possesion of the football. He can get up, run, pass, handoff or reset the ball for a kick as long as his knee does not touch the ground.

 

 

Someone help out on this.

I believe as long as he's considered the holder he is allowed to do what ever with the ball even though his knee may be on the ground. He's no longer the holder if he gets up from that position. Meaning if he gets up from the holder position he then becomes a back just like any other and all rules apply at that point. If he stumbles and falls back down without trying to set the ball for the kicker then the ball is blown dead at that point and placed there if it's a field goal try. extra point is no good and kick off follows.

Rules specifically allow the holders knee to touch without stopping the play AND if I'm not mistaken he can come off of his knee to retreive a high snap and return to his knee without killing the play.

Rules specifically allow the holders knee to touch without stopping the play AND if I'm not mistaken he can come off of his knee to retreive a high snap and return to his knee without killing the play.

 

:thumb:

 

I think you're right on, AT.

 

I wish the rule also applied to KO returners. How many times have you seen the returner accidentally touch a knee to stop a low kick ? I've never liked giving the kicking team a reason to kick low squibbers. KO's were intended to be returned, IMO... :irked:

:thumb:

 

I think you're right on, AT.

 

I wish the rule also applied to KO returners. How many times have you seen the returner accidentally touch a knee to stop a low kick ? I've never liked giving the kicking team a reason to kick low squibbers. KO's were intended to be returned, IMO... :irked:

 

I would have to agree as well!!!!!:thumb:

NFHS Rule 4-2-2...a placekick holder with his knee(s) on the ground and with a teammate in kicking position may:

 

1. Catch or recover the snap while his knee(s) is on the ground and place the ball for a kick, or if he rises to advance, hand, kick or pass.

 

2. Rise and catch an errant snap and immediately return his knee(s) to the ground and place the ball for a kick or again rise to advance, hand, kick or pass.

 

Note: The ball becomes dead if the place-kick holder muffs the snap or fumbles and recovers after his knees have been off the ground, and he then touches the ground with other than hand or foot while in possession of the ball.

 

offside

I think this was covered here before but I don't remember the outcome.

 

Is there a specific rule that allows for the holder on a place kick to not be "down" once he has possession of the ball and his knee, obviously, on the ground?

To make it even clearer, the holder can come up off the knee only to recover or catch an errant snap. For example, the ball skips back there or is snapped high. In that case and that case only, he can rise to recover or catch but must immediately go back to his knee to still be a holder.

 

If he does anything else or comes off his knee for any other reason, then when he goes back down, the play is over.

 

That's how it was explained to me and makes sense

Suffice to say that the holder is not down while holding the ball to be kicked. Offside's rule reference is the correct one. The holder may rise to catch a bad snap, and can return his knee to the ground to hold for the kick without being ruled down.

 

If the play calls for a fake kick, or if the play simply goes wrong, the holder must rise from his knee before running or passing the ball.

Say the holder takes the snap...while still on one knee, tosses the ball back to a laterally to a running kicker (the ball does NOT go forward)...kicker then runs or passes.

 

Is this legal ?

Say the holder takes the snap...while still on one knee, tosses the ball back to a laterally to a running kicker (the ball does NOT go forward)...kicker then runs or passes.

 

Is this legal ?

 

No. The holder must rise from his knee to hand-off or pass (forward or backward). The only actions he can take while his knee is on the ground is recover an errant snap and/or place the ball for the kick.

 

offside

I saw this in a high school game, and thought that same thing, but the play counted, and the holder clearly had his knee on the groung when he recieved the snap.

I saw this in a high school game, and thought that same thing, but the play counted, and the holder clearly had his knee on the groung when he recieved the snap.

Until we get instant replay, that's gonna happen. It's okay to boo. Sometimes you're right. ;)

Think of it this way---the holder is getting a pass to be down with the ball to allow it to be kicked. Anything that happens other than that, the play is over. This includes everything that's mentioned above, plus if another offensive player was to go up and take the ball from the holder while the holder is down--the play would be over.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.