Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Many NFL Players Will Take Knees During the Anthem This Week?

Featured Replies

Freedom of Speech, just like freedom to be on a knee.

 

Do you find screaming loudly during the anthem to be disrespectful? Or is it just not standing that you see as such?

  • Replies 391
  • Views 36.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Freedom of Speech, just like freedom to be on a knee.

 

I get the freedom of speech but if people are going to say its disrespectful to kneel during the anthem myself included in that group, then you have to recognize that yelling during the anthem is just as bad.

Bad idea to scream at CK during the anthem , sounds like a drunk redneck. You can be a drunk redneck - go for it -- but NO SCREAMING DURING THE SONG !!! or talking for that matter .

So then both are equally disrespectful, correct?

 

Actually, the actions of those chiding CK seems more disrespectful. I also do not care for raised fist. That action seems more disrespectful than the simple 'taking a knee'. At least CK and his teammate where solemn during their 'kneel down'. The solemness during the Anthem is what feels appropriate if one views the Anthem as a memorial to those in and out of uniform, military and domestic, who sacrifice to allow the nation to continue on for us and our children and future generations.

 

This maybe a stretch, but what are players asked to do when there is an injury? Take a knee and be solemn while the injured is attended to. Is the country injured? It would seem the obvious answer is yes. The country has many injuries and has always had issues. Can we view the simple, but still solemn, action of taking a knee during the Anthem as inappropriate? Most still find this action offensive. There are probably better ways 'to the message out'. CK's original list of reasons for his actions has been super-simplified, he actually listed a great number of injuries the country is now experiencing and some were unpopular as they involved high profile political and power figures.

 

Upon more thought, the simple action of 'taking a knee' seems not too unlike flying the national flag upside down. An upside down flag is used to display distress. Its done to 'make a point'. But, it too can be viewed as disrespectful and also inappropriate.

 

As I watched last night I did not feel the outrage. I did not see or hear those giving the business to CK and they were wrong to do so. I did find the raised fist much more inappropriate. I thought ESPN gave the 'protesters' more air time than deserved - but we knew it was coming.

 

In the end we should look for traditions that unite us as a people and a country. The Anthem and flag before sporting events should be a uniting function - not a dividing one. Its not the appropriate time to 'make a point'. There are lots of other ways to do that. But CK and his teammate's actions were the least offensive of the three notable sets of those whose actions would deemed inappropriate.

 

Finally, if we really take the Anthem and flag seriously, all we have to do is look around at the next HS sporting event. Disrespect is all around. And though its not to 'make a point' its still disrespectful - if we view the short couple of minutes a memorial and remembrance. Players rocking back and forth; people talking; people walking around in total disregard; people talking or using their cellphones. All are also disrespectful. If this tradition is one to unite then all should participate, quitely, solemnly and give a couple of minutes of honor to those who have provided us this wonderful, yet far from perfect, country to live and raise our families in.

 

Sorry for the long-winded post.

So then both are equally disrespectful, correct?

 

Without question what those idiots in the stands did is completely disrespectful to the flag, the anthem, those around them and to all that respect what that day is about and what the anthem is about. As bad or even worse than CK.

ESPN reported last night that there was a group of people behind the 49ers bench screaming at Kaepernick during the anthem, because yeah, screaming at someone during the anthem is so respectful.

 

But hey at least they were standing, right?

 

Those things are all disrespectful. And no, standing doesn't make any disrespectful act any better. I've seen high school teams stand link arms and rock back and forth. And , they are being disrespectful also. Where did loyalty, respect and gratefulness disappear in this country? Parents disrespected, teachers diss, police officers diss, soldiers who gave all diss, anyone who is harassed by the law, anyone who is bullied at school and teachers let it happen, teachers who are harassed because they did not give athletes better grades, the filthy language used these days, no value for someone's person or even one's own body, these are all forms of disrespect. I hate that conditions were allowed to seethe and fester, with nothing done until it's at this point. I hate feeling so helpless when I see and hear disrespect of my country and everything the flag stands for. The NFL says they will SOLVE the situation. And how? By no longer playing the National Anthem next season. How equitable is that? Great work, NFL. Go ahead and ignore what brought us to this point. And what problems or unfair treatment does that solve? Does anyone understand that our flag is not the problem? Yes, I've led a sheltered life in my small town. But it doesn't mean I think wrong is right. I love my country, my countrymen, my flag and the National Anthem and God Bless America. I'll stand for all. You have to stand for something or you stand for nothing at all. So I'll always stand because no matter what, this is still the best country in the world. I didn't say perfect, I said best.

So then both are equally disrespectful, correct?

 

My opinion - the screaming is more disrespectful. Kneeling is not actively keeping anyone else from enjoying the anthem.

Screaming pollutes the experience for everyone who can hear.

 

When your actions infringe on others, the offense is greater.

A friend of mine who lost her son who was serving in the U.S. Army posted this:

 

"Those who disrespect the flag have never had a folded one handed to them."

It's so weird.

Disrespectful people yelling at a disrespectful person. How disrespectful they all are.

Actually, the actions of those chiding CK seems more disrespectful. I also do not care for raised fist. That action seems more disrespectful than the simple 'taking a knee'. At least CK and his teammate where solemn during their 'kneel down'. The solemness during the Anthem is what feels appropriate if one views the Anthem as a memorial to those in and out of uniform, military and domestic, who sacrifice to allow the nation to continue on for us and our children and future generations.

 

This maybe a stretch, but what are players asked to do when there is an injury? Take a knee and be solemn while the injured is attended to. Is the country injured? It would seem the obvious answer is yes. The country has many injuries and has always had issues. Can we view the simple, but still solemn, action of taking a knee during the Anthem as inappropriate? Most still find this action offensive. There are probably better ways 'to the message out'. CK's original list of reasons for his actions has been super-simplified, he actually listed a great number of injuries the country is now experiencing and some were unpopular as they involved high profile political and power figures.

 

Upon more thought, the simple action of 'taking a knee' seems not too unlike flying the national flag upside down. An upside down flag is used to display distress. Its done to 'make a point'. But, it too can be viewed as disrespectful and also inappropriate.

 

As I watched last night I did not feel the outrage. I did not see or hear those giving the business to CK and they were wrong to do so. I did find the raised fist much more inappropriate. I thought ESPN gave the 'protesters' more air time than deserved - but we knew it was coming.

 

In the end we should look for traditions that unite us as a people and a country. The Anthem and flag before sporting events should be a uniting function - not a dividing one. Its not the appropriate time to 'make a point'. There are lots of other ways to do that. But CK and his teammate's actions were the least offensive of the three notable sets of those whose actions would deemed inappropriate.

 

Finally, if we really take the Anthem and flag seriously, all we have to do is look around at the next HS sporting event. Disrespect is all around. And though its not to 'make a point' its still disrespectful - if we view the short couple of minutes a memorial and remembrance. Players rocking back and forth; people talking; people walking around in total disregard; people talking or using their cellphones. All are also disrespectful. If this tradition is one to unite then all should participate, quitely, solemnly and give a couple of minutes of honor to those who have provided us this wonderful, yet far from perfect, country to live and raise our families in.

 

Sorry for the long-winded post.

 

That's a great post. I agree in overall, though we may part on specific points. Regardless of that, I appreciate your candor and sincerity.

A friend of mine who lost her son who was serving in the U.S. Army posted this:

 

"Those who disrespect the flag have never had a folded one handed to them."

 

That is one of the more profound things I have heard.

 

I doubt if there will be much comment on that.

Don't get me wrong; I agree with you about the inner cities. Maybe not to the extent that you say but still no argument from me. I don't particularly wish to put Tupac on a pedestal though. I like my community activists to not get gunned down living a thug life.

Don't get me started on all these rap stars who promote the drug and gun culture that feeds the problems of the inner cities as well.

 

 

T.I. Is Asked About Negative Content In Hip-Hop, And His Answer Is On Point | T.I. | Music | BET

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.