Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Many NFL Players Will Take Knees During the Anthem This Week?

Featured Replies

Ive been to high school football, basketball, college football, basketball, NFL, MLB, NHL games, nascar races, dirt track races, etc. I guess it's possible some people were disrespectfulat at some point but nothing stands out in my memory.

 

It happens at literally every sporting event I go to, on every level. I highly doubt it's different at the ones you attend, but I guess it could be.

  • Replies 391
  • Views 36.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've not witnessed this mass disrespect that you all have at sporting events during national anthems.

 

I went to the world 100 dirt late model race a couple weeks ago and you could hear a pin drop right before the beginning of the national anthem.

Who said "mass disrespect?"

How do you equate someone standing while texting, or chomping their gum, or hands in their back pockets while the roll their eyes and look around with respect?

 

I don't really consider those that sit as respecting the flag, but if they are silent and not doing anything else, then to me, they aren't disrespecting the flag.

 

None of those activities are respectful. Old timer's list of items that was always applied to flag etiquette, all are to be observed. If announced you do stand and turn toward the flag with your arms to your sides or with your hand over your heart or a salute, no phones or earphones or gum or looking around or talking or swaying back and forth, and take caps or hats off, no walking around unless necessitated. When Anthem begins you focus on the flag respectfully, no looking around or otherwise not paying attention, PERIOD. Does that spell it out for you? I am so sick of my insistence of respect being answered by the on one knee or seated crowd with questions about other people not being respectful. And if you don't like this, tough luck. It is how I was taught by my parents and it's what we taught our sons. AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE CORRECT.

None of those activities are respectful. Old timer's list of items that was always applied to flag etiquette, all are to be observed. If announced you do stand and turn toward the flag with your arms to your sides or with your hand over your heart or a salute, no phones or earphones or gum or looking around or talking or swaying back and forth, and take caps or hats off, no walking around unless necessitated. When Anthem begins you focus on the flag respectfully, no looking around or otherwise not paying attention, PERIOD. Does that spell it out for you? I am so sick of my insistence of respect being answered by the on one knee or seated crowd with questions about other people not being respectful. And if you don't like this, tough luck. It is how I was taught by my parents and it's what we taught our sons. AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE CORRECT.

:lol2: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thanks to the first amendment.

Ive been to high school football, basketball, college football, basketball, NFL, MLB, NHL games, nascar races, dirt track races, etc. I guess it's possible some people were disrespectfulat at some point but nothing stands out in my memory.

 

That's because you were doing what was respectful.

:lol2: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thanks to the first amendment.

 

I do not like the disrespect you've just cast on my person. And no it is not ok to have your "Opinion" and it's your right. There is a definite flag etiquette. Where is Principal Seavers when I need him?

Who said "mass disrespect?"

 

I didn't quote anyone or claim anyone said those words. A lot of people are claiming people disrespect the national anthem at other events. I've been to a lot of events and i haven't seen very many people at all doing things that are disrespectful.

I do not like the disrespect you've just cast on my person. And no it is not ok to have your "Opinion" and it's your right. There is a definite flag etiquette. Where is Principal Seavers when I need him?

It was not my intention to cast disrespect. I'm not sure where you get that.

 

I understand flag etiquette quite well. I assume that you show you displeasure at all sports teams that use a flag logo on their uniforms, as that is against the etiquette?

I didn't quote anyone or claim anyone said those words. A lot of people are claiming people disrespect the national anthem at other events. I've been to a lot of events and i haven't seen very many people at all doing things that are disrespectful.

That's cool. You seemed to be misrepresenting what was being said. None of us have said that "very many" people stand and do those things, just that they don't get denounced for doing so. It seems to some that standing = respect, regardless of what you are doing at the same time. I call foul on that one.

No, standing doesn't necessarily equate respect. During the anthem, one should stand respectfully. Just my point of view.

It was not my intention to cast disrespect. I'm not sure where you get that.

 

I understand flag etiquette quite well. I assume that you show you displeasure got all sports teams that use a flag logo on their uniforms, as that is against the etiquette?

 

It WAS your intention to needle me with your cute little smiling face. I'm not buying your innocent excuse, you don't need me to and I don't have to. Although discouraged, flag use on apparel and uniforms became popular after WWII and the start of the cold war and even then it was to be placed specifically, when any team insisted using it. I think it is a good idea for the country's morale and team spirit. You do not understand flag etiquette and there's a definite positioning place on official uniforms worn by American teams.

That's cool. You seemed to be misrepresenting what was being said. None of us have said that "very many" people stand and do those things, just that they don't get denounced for doing so. It seems to some that standing = respect, regardless of what you are doing at the same time. I call foul on that one.

 

As has probably already been mentioned, there's a lot more disrespect shown by people standing in the stadium than by those kneeling. Just an observation having attended about eleventy billion games over the years.

 

That was the post I read immediately before i responded.

 

Im not sure why you're taking an issue with two words in my post.

 

The meaning behind my post stands. I haven't seen "a lot more disrespect" by those standing in crowds. Maybe I just get lucky every time I go to an event.

It WAS your intention to needle me with your cute little smiling face. I'm not buying your innocent excuse, you don't need me to and I don't have to. Although discouraged, flag use on apparel and uniforms became popular after WWII and the start of the cold war and even then it was to be placed specifically, when any team insisted using it. I think it is a good idea for the country's morale and team spirit. You do not understand flag etiquette and there's a definite positioning place on official uniforms worn by American teams.

My :lol2: was in reply to your "does that spell it out for you?" I wasn't sure why you were getting so upset. If you want to call it disrespect, that's up to you. That was not the intention.

 

Flag etiquette hasn't changed. Wearing flag emblems on any clothing, unless you are military or police goes against it. It's pretty simple. However, some excuse it and that is fine with me. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That was the post I read immediately before i responded.

 

Im not sure why you're taking an issue with two words in my post.

 

The meaning behind my post stands. I haven't seen "a lot more disrespect" by those standing in crowds. Maybe I just get lucky every time I go to an event.

I've never been to a game where someone kneeled so I have easily seen more disrespect from some that stand. Your experience may be different. I see/hear it probably at least every other time I am at a high school ballgame. Those also stick with me because they interfere with my enjoyment of the anthem. Someone sitting or kneeling quietly wouldn't distract me in that regard.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more players kneeling this weekend.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.