What About it is Disrespectful?

UKMustangFan

It seems many feel CK not standing during the National Anthem is disrespectful. In addition many seem to feel anyone not standing (that is capable) is being disrespectful.

My question is this. What specifically about standing vs. sitting makes one disrespectful and the other respectful?

If a person stands during the anthem (which fwiw, I do every time), stops whatever they're doing, and face the flag, it's considered respectful. However, if they sit, stop whatever they're doing, look to the flag, maybe say a silent thank you to those who served (or even a silent prayer), they're being disrespectful.

What specifically is it about the action of standing that makes it more respectful?

I read an article years ago concerning flag burning. The title went something like "The Right To Burn The Flag Is The Best Reason Not To." I would apply that thinking to this situation.

For me, the National Anthem is, in part, a time to honor America. Mostly, though, it's about honoring those who fought for our freedom, and especially those who died for it.

It surely doesn't mean everything about America is perfect, nor does it mean that I am proud of everything America has done or is doing. Still, the least that I can do is to stand and show respect for those who paid, or are/were willing to pay, the ultimate price for very precious freedom.

It's not a lot to ask, for a person to stand and show respect.

I look at it this way, by not standing (if you are able) I consider it disrespectful during any country's national anthem. However, that disrespect is allowed in a free country like USA. Just be prepared for some backlash from some folks.

What specifically is it about the action of standing that makes it more respectful?

Nothing inherently, but it's a social norm we've accepted as having that significance. Not a lot different than standing to shake someone's hand or, if you're very old-fashioned, waiting for women to sit down first before taking a seat yourself. There's nothing inherently correct about doing these things, but in our culture, at least, they're accepted as signs of respect or propriety.

I guess I did a poor job of asking the question.

What is it about standing that makes it a respectful action, but sitting a disrespectful action?

Standing is often a sign of respect. In a courtroom when the judge enters, or when the President enters a room, or even when a bride begins her walk down the aisle.

I guess I did a poor job of asking the question.

What is it about standing that makes it a respectful action, but sitting a disrespectful action?

I think some of it is human nature. You don't walk into a job interview, take a seat, and extend your hand to shake hands with the group.

I think the act of standing(again,if you are able) makes it respectful.

But I did find the following online:

United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. Military law requires all vehicles on the installation to stop when the song is played and all individuals outside to stand at attention and face the direction of the music and either salute, in uniform, or place the right hand over the heart, if out of uniform. A law passed in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.[48][49]

However, this statutory suggestion does not have any penalty associated with violations. 36 U.S.C. § 301 This behavioral requirement for the national anthem is subject to the same First Amendment controversies that surround the Pledge of Allegiance.[50] For example, Jehovah's Witnesses do not sing the national anthem, though they are taught that standing is an "ethical decision" that individual believers must make based on their "conscience."[51][52][53]

Part of being an orderly society . Now you have the right not to accept standards that are accepted by 99.9543452 % of all Americans , but dont cry about it when the majority calls you out on it . If there were no rules or regulations or accepted behaviors we would become a disorderly society ... which is exactly what our country is teetering on .

Why is the national anthem played before sporting events? When did that practice begin and why? Does anyone know? I think it makes sense at the Olympics. I'm not sure I understand why it is played before sporting events at most levels and not anywhere else. How come we don't play the national anthem everyday before we begin work? Why is it played right before a sporting event though?

Just curious as to the tradition behind it.

Why is the national anthem played before sporting events? When did that practice begin and why? Does anyone know? I think it makes sense at the Olympics. I'm not sure I understand why it is played before sporting events at most levels and not anywhere else. How come we don't play the national anthem everyday before we begin work? Why is it played right before a sporting event though?

My guess--and it's 100% guess--is that it originated with the Olympics and people thought it should be expanded to other sports.

Great questions

We do say the pledge everyday right after the 1st bell rings.

After America's entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into "The Star-Spangled Banner." The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.

Given the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution in 1931), the song continued to be played at baseball games, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays and World Series games.

During World War II, baseball games again became venues for large-scale displays of patriotism, and technological advances in public address systems allowed songs to be played without a band. "The Star-Spangled Banner" was played before games throughout the course of the war, and by the time the war was over, the pregame singing of the national anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, after which it spread to other sports.

Why Do We Sing the National Anthem at Sporting Events? | Mental Floss