Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the best vacation you have ever taken?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 110
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really wouldn't call it a vacation as it was a port-of-call when I was in the Navy. Back in 1987, we had liberty in Phuket Beach, Thailand. Beautiful weather and beaches. Probably the best 4 days of my life while I was single.

 

Vacation wise since I've been out of the Navy, I'd probably say the trip I took with my parents and my niece. We covered Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Baseball Hall of Fame, Basketball Hall of Fame, Foxwoods Casino, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Long Island Sound. I think the whole trip was about 7-8 days long. Some lasting memories with my dad who has since passed on.

 

Since I've been married, I took a trip with my wife, daughter, and my mother. We went to Ocean City, MD, took the ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ. Went to Wildwood, NJ. Went to Hershey Park and then headed up to Boston, MA. We were there on July the 4th. Fantastic vacation!! Lasting memories with my mom also who has since passed on.

My family's idea of a vacation when I was growing up was to drive to Iowa in the wintertime for Christmas, so I don't got a lot to draw from. But it's a tough call still:

 

• First and only trip to Florida — My brother and I at random realized neither of us had a thing to do for spring break workwise, so we hopped in my car and drove down to Panama City to crash with some friends of ours there. Stayed a few days, then headed west along the Gulf Shore to New Orleans for a night. Went to Vicksburg to see the Civil War stuff the next day, then drove back through West Tennessee and far West Ky. Great time with Lil' Bro.

 

• The next year, we planned accordingly and the two of us and another buddy headed to South By Southwest in Austin, but we left a few days early, arriving in NOLA to stay with a friend who was in grad school at Tulane and party there for a couple days, just days after Mardi Gras and beads still littering the streets. Not sure how we found our way back to his place that first night after partying in the Quarter. We watched the NCAA draw show that year at some hole-in-the-wall oyster shack/bar on the edge of the trolley line out near a bend in the river.

 

Then headed to TX to stay with another buddy stationed at Ft. Hood and take in SXSW, which was fantastic. I went back by myself two more years after that.

 

• And 2 years ago for my buddy's bachelor party on Lake Cumberland for a 4-day weekend. I complained about the incessant barrage of bro country for about 3 hours, then finally relaxed and stopped caring anymore.

Gulf Shores area definitely fits you then. Similar to Destin but smaller and not as many people.

 

As I type this I am in Perdido Key.

Traveled to Garmisch, Germany with the family. Got to tour Austria, where the 1976 Olympics were held, and also King Ludwig’s castle (Disney used this castle as a model for their theme parks). It was an amazing trip I will never forget. Did not go to the beer gardens in Munich since we had children.

Really wouldn't call it a vacation as it was a port-of-call when I was in the Navy. Back in 1987, we had liberty in Phuket Beach, Thailand. Beautiful weather and beaches. Probably the best 4 days of my life while I was single.

 

Vacation wise since I've been out of the Navy, I'd probably say the trip I took with my parents and my niece. We covered Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Baseball Hall of Fame, Basketball Hall of Fame, Foxwoods Casino, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Long Island Sound. I think the whole trip was about 7-8 days long. Some lasting memories with my dad who has since passed on.

 

Since I've been married, I took a trip with my wife, daughter, and my mother. We went to Ocean City, MD, took the ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ. Went to Wildwood, NJ. Went to Hershey Park and then headed up to Boston, MA. We were there on July the 4th. Fantastic vacation!! Lasting memories with my mom also who has since passed on.

 

Kind of an unfortunate name.

Too many people in a confined space for my liking. Great beach, though.

 

My favorite non-Hawaii beach town is Folly Beach. Great little town with not much besides houses and a few restaurants. Close enough to Charleston to go find good places to eat.

Edited by Clyde

"Best Vacations" with vary with phase of life. Vegas was fun BK (before kids) but we have never gone to Vegas "with the family".

 

What did work with MS/HS kids was a week long cruise. RC Freedom class. The magic was taking the cell phones and putting them in the room safe for the week. The entire week without cell phone - for the whole family. It was great. Like an electronic leash detox.

Anyone done a lakehouse vacation up north in the NY/VT area? We often do a beach vacations (on one as I type this) but I would like to try something different. Loved one we took to Michigan years ago.

 

Some good friends of mine have a lake house on Keuka Lake in the Finger Lake region of NY. Love that area. Everybody is cool as hell and the vibe is my speed.

Some good friends of mine have a lake house on Keuka Lake in the Finger Lake region of NY. Love that area. Everybody is cool as hell and the vibe is my speed.

 

Laid back and slow speed?

My family's idea of a vacation when I was growing up was to drive to Iowa in the wintertime for Christmas, so I don't got a lot to draw from. But it's a tough call still:

 

• First and only trip to Florida — My brother and I at random realized neither of us had a thing to do for spring break workwise, so we hopped in my car and drove down to Panama City to crash with some friends of ours there. Stayed a few days, then headed west along the Gulf Shore to New Orleans for a night. Went to Vicksburg to see the Civil War stuff the next day, then drove back through West Tennessee and far West Ky. Great time with Lil' Bro.

 

• The next year, we planned accordingly and the two of us and another buddy headed to South By Southwest in Austin, but we left a few days early, arriving in NOLA to stay with a friend who was in grad school at Tulane and party there for a couple days, just days after Mardi Gras and beads still littering the streets. Not sure how we found our way back to his place that first night after partying in the Quarter. We watched the NCAA draw show that year at some hole-in-the-wall oyster shack/bar on the edge of the trolley line out near a bend in the river.

 

Then headed to TX to stay with another buddy stationed at Ft. Hood and take in SXSW, which was fantastic. I went back by myself two more years after that.

 

• And 2 years ago for my buddy's bachelor party on Lake Cumberland for a 4-day weekend. I complained about the incessant barrage of bro country for about 3 hours, then finally relaxed and stopped caring anymore.

 

What?

Laid back and slow speed?

 

 

Yessir!!!! Just chilling and living.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.