Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the best vacation you have ever taken?

Featured Replies

1st- The Atlantis- Paradise Island

2nd- Jamaica- Married at Couples Resort in Negril

3rd- Yearly trips to Santa Rosa Beach in Florida

  • Replies 110
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I type this I am in Perdido Key.
Gf and I went on a trip there two years back. Perdido Key is my kind of place.
Mexico. Without question.

 

Been there three times. Cancun, Cancun and Cabo. It didn't stick out enough to me to make the list.

I've been fortunate enough to travel pretty extensively. Here are some favorites:

 

London-Paris-Madrid - went with several classmates the summer before my senior year. Had an absolute blast. My first plane ride and got to experience tons of different cultures. Also drank quite a bit with hs friends.

 

Heidelburg, Germany - my Uncle and cousins live there. My Dad, Aunt, Mamaw, brother, and I went the summer after I graduated high school. It was more of a family thing but made so many memories. One of the few vacations I've taken with my Dad -- he is more of a cabin down in the holler kinda guy -- and the only one I've taken with my Mamaw.

 

Hilton Head Spring Break - a friends' parents owned a condo here and we did three straight college spring breaks there. Can't talk about much on here but it was a blast. Fun town but not too over-the-top.

 

New Orleans Bachelor Party - My best friend elected to go to N'Awlins for his bachelor party in I believe 2012. Four straight days of partying with some awesome food and fun sight-seeing mixed in. Not sure how we all made it without being either a) taken to jail or b) taken to the ER.

 

Pensacola/Perdido Key - first real vacation the girlfriend and I took together. We came fresh off a camping trip in WV to run a Ragnar Trail Relay. Stopped in at the house for one night then left for Florida for a week. Started off staying with a great friend who I hadn't saw in years that lived in Pensacola. Then the gf and I took off and camped in Perdido Key. We ate, swam, fished, and a few other things for a straight week. We were having so much fun we extended the trip a night to stay with my friend and his gf for one more fun night in Pensacola.

 

Raleigh 70.3/Asheville - last year we went with a couple to Raleigh and two of us did the Ironman 70.3 there. Left after the race and stayed in an AirBnB condo in downtown Asheville for a few days. Asheville is the beer mecca of the Southeast. Also cemented that we have a couple we love to travel with.

 

Eagleman 70.3 - a few of us did the Eagleman 70.3 and rented a house in Oxford, MD earlier this year. The eastern shore of MD is officially one of my favorite places. Cannot figure out why more people around here don't go vacation there. Awesome food coupled with gorgeous scenery and lots of chill.

What part?

 

Riviera Maya.

Siesta Key - Honeymoon :sneaky:

Jackson Hole - Dude ranch with 20 family members.

Alaska - Winnebago trip with 3 brother in laws & 12 yr old nephew. Included 2-day fishing boat charter off Kodiak Island.

What's so special about it?

 

Part of it is that I grew up on Lake Erie and it was easy access, been there more times than I can count.

 

Laid back and easy going.

 

A little of something for everybody whether it's a family or couples: boating, fishing, beaching, partying, wineries, sailing, caving ( Crystal Cave is really cool).

 

It's pretty much golf cart only on the island other than the few commercial vehicles.

 

Pretty much every weekend there is something organized going on. One of my favorites is the Phlocking of the Phaithful.

 

Put in Bay 2

I've been fortunate enough to travel pretty extensively. Here are some favorites:

 

London-Paris-Madrid - went with several classmates the summer before my senior year. Had an absolute blast. My first plane ride and got to experience tons of different cultures. Also drank quite a bit with hs friends.

 

Heidelburg, Germany - my Uncle and cousins live there. My Dad, Aunt, Mamaw, brother, and I went the summer after I graduated high school. It was more of a family thing but made so many memories. One of the few vacations I've taken with my Dad -- he is more of a cabin down in the holler kinda guy -- and the only one I've taken with my Mamaw.

 

Hilton Head Spring Break - a friends' parents owned a condo here and we did three straight college spring breaks there. Can't talk about much on here but it was a blast. Fun town but not too over-the-top.

 

New Orleans Bachelor Party - My best friend elected to go to N'Awlins for his bachelor party in I believe 2012. Four straight days of partying with some awesome food and fun sight-seeing mixed in. Not sure how we all made it without being either a) taken to jail or b) taken to the ER.

 

Pensacola/Perdido Key - first real vacation the girlfriend and I took together. We came fresh off a camping trip in WV to run a Ragnar Trail Relay. Stopped in at the house for one night then left for Florida for a week. Started off staying with a great friend who I hadn't saw in years that lived in Pensacola. Then the gf and I took off and camped in Perdido Key. We ate, swam, fished, and a few other things for a straight week. We were having so much fun we extended the trip a night to stay with my friend and his gf for one more fun night in Pensacola.

 

Raleigh 70.3/Asheville - last year we went with a couple to Raleigh and two of us did the Ironman 70.3 there. Left after the race and stayed in an AirBnB condo in downtown Asheville for a few days. Asheville is the beer mecca of the Southeast. Also cemented that we have a couple we love to travel with.

 

Eagleman 70.3 - a few of us did the Eagleman 70.3 and rented a house in Oxford, MD earlier this year. The eastern shore of MD is officially one of my favorite places. Cannot figure out why more people around here don't go vacation there. Awesome food coupled with gorgeous scenery and lots of chill.

We got to spend most of a day in Heidelburg. Had a blast. Really neat place. They had their Autumn Festival going that weekend, so that was really cool.

I didn't like Jamaica. The people were very pushy compared to other All inclusives.

 

We stayed at the Sandals Royal Caribbean and it was awesome. We had mimosas at breakfast and Jamaican Smiles and Red Stripe all day. Everyone we encountered was lovely.

Just got back from a trip to Colorado. I loved it. Maybe the most beautiful place on earth that I have ever seen. I've never really had any desire to leave Kentucky, but if I had to pick a place to relocate to Colorado would be it. So much to do, in and around Denver, but at the same time within an hour you can be in the middle of nowhere. Tons of parks, hiking trails etc. Fresh local beer being made just around every corner from wherever you are. The only drawback is the altitude. I really struggled with it the first day or so and then upon going up in the mountains. It really limits what you can do, but I guess it affects some more than others. But even that will go away in time if you stay out there long enough.

 

Other than Colorado, a few years back we took a trip across eastern Canada and into New England. Few nights in Toronto, few nights in Montreal, few nights in Boston, and finally a stop at Niagara falls on the way home. Toronto is a very nice city, really underated if you ask me. Montreal was much different compared to Toronto, dirty, people were rude, but the old town area was really cool. I really enjoy history so Boston was very neat. If you go, you have to walk the Freedom Trail. Tons of neat stops along the way. Would love to go back and spend more time in the entire New England area.

 

Went to Cancun for my honeymoon 15 years ago. Most relaxing vacation ever. Stayed at the Moon Palace which is isolated away from the hotel district. Only left the resort one day. Just laid around by the pool with drinks and food being brought to the lounge chair. Probably will go back to another all enclusive resort one day.

Forgot to mention: I really enjoyed the trip up to Maine to pick up my brother after he'd finished the Appalachian Trail.

 

Struck out with a buddy and drove until we were just too tired — and nearly out of gas deep in the mountains of Maryland on the east side of Cumberland. Slept on the side of the road, woke up the next day and doubled back an exit to search for gas, and had to wait 45 minutes for the store to open.

 

Drove across the Hudson River near West Point. So beautiful.

 

Got quasi-lost in Connecticut. Got in a fender-bender in rush hour traffic in Providence — RI State Police are unbelievably efficient and I tip my hat to them.

 

Made it to Maine's Mt. Katahdin and got to climb halfway up a mountain (wasn't in great shape then and didn't have appropriate shoes; I could go all the way now) and see inland Maine — including being about 25 yards from a moose! My brother looked incredibly gaunt, with a fantastic pornstache on his face when we arrived to find him rinsing out socks in the creek. We had pizza and beers at this really cool place that had BoSox game on every TV, and over the loudspeaker.

 

After a cold trip back to Bangor — we had to keep the windows down because my brother and his trail buddy smelled absolutely horrendous — we got them showered up and had a few beers before crashing.

 

In the morning we went "Way Down East" to explore the coastline, checked out Deer Island and Stonington and had the obligatory lobster roll. Cruised the coastline down to Portland to hit a couple bars before heading south to Portsmouth to spend the night.

 

Got up early the next day and went to Boston to see the sights, also toured the Salem Witch Hunt museum and the Old North Church and just hung out for the day before heading to NYC that night to stay with my brother's Army buddy on Long Island.

 

Spent a day in lower Manhattan, must've walked 20 miles. Saw Wall Street, Jamaicans slinging weed in Battery Park, Times Square, Chinatown, you name it.

 

On the way back we cruised through the Poconos, around through Gettysburg and had lunch at this pizza place in Boiling Springs, Pa.

 

Wonderful trip and a definite top 2 or 3.

We stayed at the Sandals Royal Caribbean and it was awesome. We had mimosas at breakfast and Jamaican Smiles and Red Stripe all day. Everyone we encountered was lovely.

 

If I go back, I will look up Sandals. Montego Bay was beautiful, but we may have just had a bad experience with the folks. The men were much friendlier than the women.

If I go back, I will look up Sandals. Montego Bay was beautiful, but we may have just had a bad experience with the folks. The men were much friendlier than the women.

 

On the resort that you stayed at?

 

At Sandals we stayed on the resort and never left. They told us to never leave the resort without someone who works at the resort. We listened. And truthfully they had so much to do at the resort it wasn't an issue at all.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.