Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the best vacation you have ever taken?

Featured Replies

I've only been on 2 real vacations in my life. When I was about 10, my parents packed us up and we went to the Smokies. Wonderful memories of driving there in our lime green Nova.

 

The other was Jekyll Island Georgia, with a side trip to Savannah. Going back next year.

Nothing like sitting on the deck of a chalet up in the mountains and watching the "Smoke" rise in the morning. I could spend a month at a chalet up in the mountains...give me a hot tub, a view from the deck and something soothing to drink and I'm happy.

  • Replies 110
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHen I was a kid we had a season pass at a campground with a lake and just left our camper there. Dad had four weeks of vacation and we spent them at the camp, and many weekends, and my Dad drove the 45-minutes to an hour to work from the camp many times, as well. This was the summer of my 6th grade year. It helped that there were many kids my age.

 

As an adult, any vacation with my wife and kids. Most of these are camping but not always. And the good memories usually come from an activity that was not expensive and involve some mishap or something or other. These days go by too quickly, folks.

 

@plantmanky, it doesn't have to be expensive or far away to have a great time. Just being with the people you are close to in a low stress setting and out of the ordinary activity or location makes it special. If you are able to achieve that at your own place, then you live in heaven.

Mine was the solo trip I took in summer of 2011. Went to:

 

Balitmore, MD

Philidelphia, PA

Springfield, MA

Boston, MA

Pittsburgh. PA

Pottsville, PA

Granpdarents

 

Stopped and did a lot of random things throughout the trip and had zero schedule. Its was great.

 

Trip to Jamaica in November will probably top it though lol.

 

Did you meet friends in these cities or just did everything by yourself? I don't think I could do a whole vacation just by myself.

Family trip would be Hawaii. We stayed on Waikiki beach for three days and Maui for 4. Saw Jerry Tarkanian ( I believe It was 1994, I was 12.), saw live surfing, went snorkeling, went to a hula, and the best and one I wish I could relive was visiting Pearl Harbor with my grandpa who was a Navy veteran who served in the Pacific during WWII.

 

He must've introduced himself to a hundred other vets. He would've talked for a week if he could've. Great memory.

 

With my wife and just me it is no doubt hands down St. Thomas Virgin Islands. Beautiful.

And there are a lot Disney's being mentioned. Personally, I can't think of bigger hell of a vacation. Let's stand around for over half the day on this blacktop pavement reaching the temperature of the sun. And at the end of the trip, just cut off your arm and leg because that is what it just cost to be in hell.

Did you meet friends in these cities or just did everything by yourself? I don't think I could do a whole vacation just by myself.

 

Did meet a friend in Baltimore. He was graduating from Towson. Hung with him for two days there. Then his parents lived in Philly, so I crashed with him there for another two days. In Philly, I went off on my own throughout the day, but we hung together at night.

 

The rest was solo. However, Springfield, I literally just stopped at the bball HOF. Pittsburgh, I literally just stopped for a Pirmanti Bros. sandwich. And Pottsville, I just stopped for the Yuengling Brewery.

 

Boston was the only place that I was in for any amount of time on my own. It was actually really peaceful, different, but at that time in my life, it was good to just do my own thing for a little while.

Disney for 3 days and then on to Destin for 10 days with my wife and kids back in 2009.

 

What is special about Destin. Seems like a lot of people make that a destination of choice. Women at work just got back from a week long trip there.

Hawaii

West trip

DC

Disney

If I was forced to live on the Atlantic coast' date=' Savannah would be my choice.[/quote']

 

Cool town

What is special about Destin. Seems like a lot of people make that a destination of choice. Women at work just got back from a week long trip there.

 

It's two hours closer than Orlando and on a beach. I went with some friends 4-5 years ago and had an absolute blast outside of leaving my ID in KY like an IDIOT. Then, when the second wave of friends joined us, they brought my ID which was refused at a Hooters... So basically I hate Destin.

What is special about Destin. Seems like a lot of people make that a destination of choice. Women at work just got back from a week long trip there.

 

Too many people in a confined space for my liking. Great beach, though.

I know this is about past vacations, but I would love to take an RV cross-country with my inner circle.

Too many people in a confined space for my liking. Great beach, though.

 

Gulf Shores area definitely fits you then. Similar to Destin but smaller and not as many people.

And there are a lot Disney's being mentioned. Personally, I can't think of bigger hell of a vacation. Let's stand around for over half the day on this blacktop pavement reaching the temperature of the sun. And at the end of the trip, just cut off your arm and leg because that is what it just cost to be in hell.
We started planning a DW trip a couple of years ago. Just couldn't pull the trigger for pretty much the reasons you listed.

Jamaica for my honeymoon. We are going back on our 10 year anniversary.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.