Reds all time team from 1980 on

Lance mccalister had a great question on his show tonight. Since big red machine dominates so much talk of reds still, he named his all star team by position since 1980.

I caught his starting 8 but had to miss his pitchers/managers portion. For his inf he had Hannigan at C, Votto, Phillips, Larkin and Frazier. OF was Daniels, Davis and Parker.

His other nominations were a bench player, rhp starter, lhp starter, set up man, closer and manager.

Mine: Oliver, Votto, Phillips and Larkin ( my 2 most confident ), Rolen, Dunn, Davis and Bruce. Steuggled at C because no stud, 3b cause there were some really good ones and Rf because Bruce has been consistent but Parker was a stud.

My bench player would be Freel, RHP Soto slightly over Rijo, LHP Browning, set up Charlton over Scott Sullivan who should have made Lance's list and closer is Chapman slightly over Franco. Myers not on list. Manager is Lou.

He has his list on his website. What does everyone else think?

I should have pointed out that by Bruce being consistent I mean he's put some pretty fair numbers over now 8 or 9 years. He hasn't exactly been consistent though, anything but. Parker had 2 monster years but didn't last long.

Rolen over Sabo? I disagree. I move Davis over to left where he played most of the 1990 season and give Griffey center field. I also take Parker over Bruce based on his 4 seasons in right. Bruce hasn't approached his 85-87 stretch.

No doubters:

1B Votto

2B Phillips

SS Larkin

Possible Outfielders ... Davis, Dunn, Griffey, Bruce ... perhaps Parker but I don't see him beating out those four.

Catcher ... There has to be someone better than Hannigan. Bo Diaz?

RHP ... options that come to mind .... Cueto, Rijo and Soto.

Gotta think about this a little bit more before I come up with my list

Second Team

C Joe Oliver

1B Sean Casey

2B Brett Boone

SS Cozart

3B Frazier

OF Dunn

OF Parker

OF O'Neill

SP1 Bailey

SP2 Leake

SP3 Latos

SP4 Harnisch

SP5 Smiley

CL Franco (Hon. mention to Graves and Cordero)

Harang deserved consideration but he has a losing record. It doesn't seem right listing a pitcher with a losing record.

Perhaps Tom Seaver should be on the list. He pitched 3 seasons from 1980 on for the Reds and led the NL in wins in 1981. Danny Jackson had that incredible season in 1988.

The starting pitchers were tough to pick, which tells us why the Reds have struggled to win consistently from 1980 on.

C Taubansee

1B Votto

2B Phillips

SS Larkin

3B Sabo

OF Griffey Jr

OF Davis

OF Bruce

SP1 Rijo

SP2 Soto

SP3 Cueto

SP4 Browning

SP5 Arroyo

CL Chapman

Reds need to find more starters whose name ends in "O".

Dunn is one of the 3 OFers.

In his 6 full seasons with the Reds he averaged 37/94/88 .

Firs team.

Dunn is one of the 3 OFers.

In his 6 full seasons with the Reds he averaged 37/94/88 .

Firs team.

That was my toughest call. If Dunn is in, then Bruce is out. Their stat totals are so close that it is eerie. I put Bruce in because of defense but I am fine with Dunn as the third OF with Junior and ED.

I always liked Dunn - liked him much more than most. People got whacked out because of his strikeouts but he had a great OBP. His OPS as a Red is second only to Frank Robinson, with Davis at #3 and Junior #4. I always thought he would have been excellent in the 2 slot in the order - great OBP and power, big lefty in the box to help a speedy leadoff hitter steal bases.

Here's the problem with some of your guys selections. Lance specifically has a leftfielder, centerfielder and right fielder, not three outfielders. Someone mentioned Davis in left but primarily he played center his whole Reds career. Likewise Danny Graves could not be a set up man because he was primarily a closer when he was in bullpen.

My hardest selection when I started this thread was at third base. I just loved what Rolan brought with him and he had two very solid years and one really good one before the injuries. What he brought to the team and his great D is why I chose him

Here's the problem with some of your guys selections. Lance specifically has a leftfielder, centerfielder and right fielder, not three outfielders. Someone mentioned Davis in left but primarily he played center his whole Reds career. Likewise Danny Graves could not be a set up man because he was primarily a closer when he was in bullpen.

My hardest selection when I started this thread was at third base. I just loved what Rolan brought with him and he had two very solid years and one really good one before the injuries. What he brought to the team and his great D is why I chose him

He was also a starter at one point, so for the sake of this exercise, I have to imagine he's versatile enough to pitch the 8th instead of the 9th.