(Baseball) Kentucky drops 2 of 3 to Arkansas

swamprat

At Cliff Hagan, the Cats lose 1-0, Friday night. Saturday they drop the 1st game of a double header 2-0, then rally in the second game, 5-4.

Kentucky is now 24-15, 10-8 in the SEC.

UK hosts Dayton on Tuesday and Miami (OH) on Wednesday.

I'm still clueless on how college baseball works. What does UK have to do to get to the national tournament?

Short answer: win the SEC tourney or have a good enough record to get 1 of 33 at-large bids. Depending on how many upsets in conference tourneys, assume top 40 RPI teams have a good chance of getting a bid.

Link below suggests 31 automatic bids to the NCAA tournament. That means 33 at-large bids.

8 National Seeds are named. 8 additional teams (9-16) host 1st weekend games. 4 teams at each of the 16 locations for a total of 64 teams. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 and the 4 go on to play double elimination until a champion is crowned.

Any of the top 8 seeds that survive to weekend #2 host. If the other host team (9-16) survives and the top 8 seed they are paired with does not survive, that host team. If neither of the top 16 seeds survives, I assume the better seed hosts with ties broken by the team coming out of the 1-8 pod (just guessing). The 2 teams play best 2 of 3. Winner advances to Omaha.

8 teams go to Omaha and are in 2 4-team pods. They play the same double elimination tourney as Weekend #1 with 2 teams advancing.

Those 2 teams play best 2 of 3 for the NCAA Championship.

216 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia