Wood Chipper Shredder - any recommendations?

doomer

Does anyone have a gas powered wood chipper/shredder? I am thinking of acquiring one this spring to assist with the clean-up and maintenance of my property. I would be interested in any experiences and a recommendation for a good value unit.

My intended budget is

So if you're looking for a small limb chipper you can definitely get one for around your price, however, you are probably looking at 2 inch or less ability.

I wouldn't have a recommendation until I better understood your clean up parameters. Do you have lots of trees ? Are they ash ? Do you burn wood ? Are you cutting down trees or just limbing / pruning ? And finally, do you have a firepit ?

I have found the Dr. series of equipment to be some of the best out there. They make a chipper that was interesting to me, just maybe a little small for my application.

The smaller Dr. chipper claims 3 inch wood, that's maximum density....the bigger one is a $1,500 chipper. Wood Chippers and Chipper Shredders | DR Power Equipment

So if you're looking for a small limb chipper you can definitely get one for around your price, however, you are probably looking at 2 inch or less ability.

I wouldn't have a recommendation until I better understood your clean up parameters. Do you have lots of trees ? Are they ash ? Do you burn wood ? Are you cutting down trees or just limbing / pruning ? And finally, do you have a firepit ?

I have found the Dr. series of equipment to be some of the best out there. They make a chipper that was interesting to me, just maybe a little small for my application.

The smaller Dr. chipper claims 3 inch wood, that's maximum density....the bigger one is a $1,500 chipper. Wood Chippers and Chipper Shredders | DR Power Equipment

Thanks for the info. I have about a mile of outer fence line that is overgrown. The bigger stuff, limbs fallen trees, etc. I can cut up and burn or open to give away. It is all the smaller stuff that is a pain to haul around, so I would just as soon cut it and chip it in place and be done with it...if that makes sense.

I have a Troy Bilt. (Not sure of the exact model number right now.) I like it for several reasons. One, is the leaf hopper actually tilts down to lay on the ground. I don't have to lift up any leaves to put them in...I just rake them right in. Saves a ton on the back!

The other feature that I like, is that it has pneumatic tires on the front of it (has the hard plastic ones on the back), so it doesn't tear up the yard when it's a little wet out. It's got a tow bar that can be attached, so I can pull it with my riding lawn mower if it want (when it's attached, it tilts up so that just the pneumatic tires on the ground...so you can back it up easily, if you need to). But, there's been several times where I just push myself (the leaf hopper has handgrips cut into it) when I don't have to go too far.