Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Steaks

Featured Replies

Medium for me. I'll do medium rare if it's from a legit steak place (sorry Outback, you aren't legit). Lose way too much flavor if it's above medium.

 

As an aside, my wife and I went to one of the Jeff Ruby joints for our anniversary a few months back. Ever since then, any time I order a steak I'm completely let down. Why do all the good things have to be so dang expensive, and how is there such a drastic difference in the taste of steaks between these places? Is it the grade of beef?

 

Grade plays a part in it, I believe the biggest factor is the aging process they use.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same. Nothing nastier than a blood soaked baked potato.

 

You do know it's not blood don't you?

I'm a medium rare kind of guy with no additional seasoning other than that used in cooking it. My wife is a well done slather it with A1 sauce person. I won't call it a waste of money because she's happy with it that way so that means I'm happy. Other than not getting any of her leftovers, she's welcome to keep them.

You do know it's not blood don't you?

 

They say its a water/myoglobin mix that makes it look that way but looks to much like blood for me.

Many "good" steak houses will recommend that you do NOT get your steak cooked more than medium. I actually had an upper crust steak house in Orlando (Charlie's, and no not O'Charlie's) tell me before I ordered that they would not guarantee their steak if ordered cooked medium well or well done. Also, if you go out and order your steak well done, the chef/cook will pick the worst cut of meat they have to serve you, which makes perfect sense if you think about it. You are completely ruining that piece of meat, why ruin a good piece of meat when you can ruin a bad piece.

 

As for me, rare to medium rare. I had one brought to me so rare one time that the meat was actually still fairly cold in the middle. That was a tad too rare for me...it wasn't bad, I just didn't like the coldness of the meat in the middle. My girlfriend use to get hers burnt to death, but over the years with me grilling steaks I have gotten her down to medium...almost between medium rare and medium, and she seems to like steak a whole lot more now than she use to.

 

When I grill them I use salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder and/or a nice steak seasoning rub. I like some spice with mine.

Medium rare seasoned with toned down Dales, Mccormicks season salt and freshly ground coffee.

There isn't much better than coming home after a long day (especially during Reds season when I work my full-time job and then a Reds game as a beer vendor) and throwing a steak on the grill and enjoying a beer or two. My only little heaven.

Loved throwing some chopped onions, with a little butter, garlic salt, steak seasoning, and A-1 sauce in foil and cooking next to it.

 

And for the steak, at home I go medium rare. I'm too cheap to ever really buy one out but the rare occasion that it happens, I go with medium. No steak sauce on the actual steak, just the homemade grilled onions.

 

Got me salivating over here.

 

 

On those "rare" occasions when the house is empty & say the wife is out of town or girls night out, there's nothing better than a grilled steak & a few brews. If a good ball game is on, even the better.

 

Quick sear, rare to medium rare, light salt, well peppered. Maybe a little side of homemade white horseradish sauce.

 

Funny how much better a cut of meat you tend to pick out on those nights versus family nights.

Honestly it kind of grosses me out if I see too much pink.

 

I love looking at the pink.

I cook mine medium rare, only use butter and a little minced garlic.

I enjoy sopping up all the leftover pink juice with a piece of bread. My great-grandmother called it "the essence".

 

I call it "dessert".

 

It's called BLOOD. :)

More often than not, I order and cook mine rare.

 

That's how my mom was. She even liked her hamburgers rare. I'm more of a medium rare guy unless I'm eating prime rib, the bloodier the better when it comes to that!

Medium Well or Well for me.

 

I like my steak dead well done if I am grilking it. If I am out for dinner medium well. :D

 

It's already dead, you don't need to kill it again.

That's how my mom was. She even liked her hamburgers rare. I'm more of a medium rare guy unless I'm eating prime rib, the bloodier the better when it comes to that!

 

We didn't have a lot growing up. When my mom made meatloaf, she would take some of the hamburger aside, add a pinch of salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Convinced an impressionable kid that steak tartare was a delicacy.

Medium Well or Well for me.

 

We didn't have a lot growing up. When my mom made meatloaf, she would take some of the hamburger aside, add a pinch of salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Convinced an impressionable kid that steak tartare was a delicacy.

 

I grew up similar. I remember as a kid mom would always let us eat a little raw hamburger with salt. Never thought of Worcestershire on it. Bet that was excellent!

It's already dead, you don't need to kill it again.

 

I don't want it fetting second wind and walking off my plate or grill.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.