Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Steaks

Featured Replies

I miss my dad and his present of the beef. Dad has been gone for 3 years.

 

Sorry for your loss. Not sure how long my dad will continue to do this as well.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been spoiled on steaks the last 5 or so years, so it's hard for me to get a steak at a regular so called steak house around here.

If marinated right there is no need for steak sauce.

 

The only place you should ever put steak sauce is on your baked potato peel.

I've been using this product on my steaks for about a year now. I think it is great. I coat each side of the meat with this before it goes on the grill. I let the grill get as hot as it can possibly get and then put the meat on for about 2 minutes each side. Usually gets about medium rare. I then put a pat of butter on top the steak and let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before eating.

 

k2-_a021094b-9b8e-4e94-858c-5200e6e4d25a.v1.jpg

I use butter and Lawry's seasoning salt. No steak sauce needed.

 

I use several different marinades as well. Dale's is good stuff

I just simply weep for those who get their steaks above even medium rare. Medium is the max for sure, but even then, I think you've overcooked it. People who get their steaks above medium simply don't know what good steak tastes like. I've shared it before, but my father-in-law gets his steaks well done. He has said he doesn't like steak. I've told him more than once, it's no wonder he doesn't like steak when he's ruined every steak he's ever eaten!

If marinated right there is no need for steak sauce.

 

As far as I'm concerned, any steak where you feel steak sauce is required is a steak that has failed you.

I haven't cooked one since this thread started, but I am definitely going to have to soon. Mouth waters every time I read some of the new posts.

Any of you like to cook venison? While a nice beer steak is definitely #1, I love me some venison cooked in the same way. Especially since I usually get it from the future father-in-law for free haha! Venison Backstrap is one of my favorite cuts of meat.

I've found that if you buy a quality piece of meat, you don't need to marinate, use lots of spices or use steak sauce.

I've found that if you buy a quality piece of meat, you don't need to marinate, use lots of spices or use steak sauce.

 

I feel the same way. I get my steaks from local meat markets and rarely do I ever season with more than a little salt and cracked pepper. Generally I just do a quick sear with garlic butter in a cast iron skillet then onto the grill for a few minutes. Speaking of salt, I found a grinder at Kroger that's labeled 'Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.' I never knew they had sea salt in the Himalayan's but I like it hah.

I've found that if you buy a quality piece of meat, you don't need to marinate, use lots of spices or use steak sauce.

 

I don't care if the steak was trimmed off of the highest priced side of Kobe beef ever sold...a spice rub only helps to accentuate the meat and make the whole experience even better.

 

And for those that wouldn't dare put steak sauce on their steak, do you realize what many consider to be the best steak house in the country, Peter Lugars, puts a generous helping of clarified butter on their steak? That's nothing more than a type of "sauce" to help flavor and accentuate the meat, and they get the best cut of American raised beef you can get.

I don't care if the steak was trimmed off of the highest priced side of Kobe beef ever sold...a spice rub only helps to accentuate the meat and make the whole experience even better.

 

And for those that wouldn't dare put steak sauce on their steak, do you realize what many consider to be the best steak house in the country, Peter Lugars, puts a generous helping of clarified butter on their steak? That's nothing more than a type of "sauce" to help flavor and accentuate the meat, and they get the best cut of American raised beef you can get.

 

 

I wouldn't consider clarified butter a steak sauce. When I think of a steak sauce I think of A1, which in my mind is basically a supplement for an overcooked steak. I have no problem with putting a little butter on a steak to add some flavor, even if it is a great cut of meat. But you'll never catch me putting A1 on a steak, if it needs that much help my Boxer will be eating it.

 

I use butter or garlic butter to sear my steak, most of the garlic is cooked out during the sear so there is only a hint of the garlic flavor and the butter just helps achieve a good sear. When we have people over on steak nights the wife will usually clarify some butter and add some minced garlic to it to serve on the side for people that like it that way. But I wouldn't consider that a steak sauce though.

I When we have people over on steak nights the wife will usually clarify some butter and add some minced garlic to it to serve on the side for people that like it that way. But I wouldn't consider that a steak sauce though.[/QUOTE]

 

Oh it's not the same as A1 of Heinz 57, etc., granted, and I'm not saying anything bad about doing it because it does work and adds to the experience, BUT, in my opinion it is still a type of sauce, albeit a simple one. After all it is used to help enhance the flavor of the steak which is exactly what A1 tries to do in a heavier handed way. At Peter Lugars they even cut the first piece for you and make sure to spoon out the butter/juice sauce and drizzle it on the piece of steak they are serving you.

 

I admit, I sometimes (not always) like a little bit of A1 on the side of my steak, even the best steak that I cook at home I might eat this way. The times I use it I will just lightly dip it in and get just a taste of it on the piece I am eating.

 

I will ALWAYS add some sort of steak spice, usually along with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Going to have to get me some of that pink Himalayan salt mentioned above, I have heard that's pretty good stuff.

I feel the same way. I get my steaks from local meat markets and rarely do I ever season with more than a little salt and cracked pepper. Generally I just do a quick sear with garlic butter in a cast iron skillet then onto the grill for a few minutes. Speaking of salt, I found a grinder at Kroger that's labeled 'Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.' I never knew they had sea salt in the Himalayan's but I like it hah.

 

I referenced this on BGP before. I have a Himalayan salt block. It is about 8" by 12"'

I use it on my grill for scallops, shrimp, skirt steak, and various other items. Its about 2" think. As you use it and it wears down, they recommend you make it into salt for foods. Also can put it in the fridge and serve fruits, veggies and cheese on it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.