Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Steaks

Featured Replies

I When we have people over on steak nights the wife will usually clarify some butter and add some minced garlic to it to serve on the side for people that like it that way. But I wouldn't consider that a steak sauce though.[/QUOTE]

 

Oh it's not the same as A1 of Heinz 57, etc., granted, and I'm not saying anything bad about doing it because it does work and adds to the experience, BUT, in my opinion it is still a type of sauce, albeit a simple one. After all it is used to help enhance the flavor of the steak which is exactly what A1 tries to do in a heavier handed way. At Peter Lugars they even cut the first piece for you and make sure to spoon out the butter/juice sauce and drizzle it on the piece of steak they are serving you.

 

I admit, I sometimes (not always) like a little bit of A1 on the side of my steak, even the best steak that I cook at home I might eat this way. The times I use it I will just lightly dip it in and get just a taste of it on the piece I am eating.

 

I will ALWAYS add some sort of steak spice, usually along with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Going to have to get me some of that pink Himalayan salt mentioned above, I have heard that's pretty good stuff.

 

The Himalayan sea salt is great, it's pretty much the only salt I use now. Butter can bring out the flavor in steak and I guess it could be considered a sauce, but I just consider it butter lol. I rarely ever pour it over a steak like some do, but I do use it to sear steaks. As close as I ever get to pouring or dipping a steak with sauce is when we do a whole rib roast. The wife takes the drippings and makes an au jus out of it using red wine and worcestershire sauce and reduces it. It's good, but I could just use the drippings myself as a sauce.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I referenced this on BGP before. I have a Himalayan salt block. It is about 8" by 12"'

I use it on my grill for scallops, shrimp, skirt steak, and various other items. Its about 2" think. As you use it and it wears down, they recommend you make it into salt for foods. Also can put it in the fridge and serve fruits, veggies and cheese on it.

 

Where did you find the block of it? I would be interested in giving that a try. You cook the food on the block I assume?

Where did you find the block of it? I would be interested in giving that a try.

 

Heard about it from a customer in Texas. Went to Williams Sonoma and they ordered it for me. Yes you cook on it after it is heated.

Make sure you raise the temp and lower the temp on the block gradually. You can still cook on it for some time after it comes off the grill.

just checked web site on only found a shaker of it.

Salts, Seasonings & Gourmet Pepper | Williams-Sonoma

Heard about it from a customer in Texas. Went to Williams Sonoma and they ordered it for me. Yes you cook on it after it is heated.

Make sure you raise the temp and lower the temp on the block gradually. You can still cook on it for some time after it comes off the grill.

just checked web site on only found a shaker of it.

Salts, Seasonings & Gourmet Pepper | Williams-Sonoma

 

 

Thanks. It sounds like a great way to cook scallops. I'll look around and see if I can find a block of it to order somewhere, I seriously doubt I'll find it locally.

I just had a filet at a pub on Broadway in NYC. Rare...and it was divine!

I just had a filet at a pub on Broadway in NYC. Rare...and it was divine!

 

Hope you are having a great time. About steaks I ant stand them thin . I want my at least 1 to 1/2 inches thick

I just had a filet at a pub on Broadway in NYC. Rare...and it was divine!

 

What was the name of the restaurant?

I just had a filet at a pub on Broadway in NYC. Rare...and it was divine!

 

I went to a place a few blocks off Broadway once that Doubletree in times square recommended and set up a reservation for us. It was excellent. I remember it to a T because to be honest it was the first time I've ever been seated at a table for 4, even though there were two of us, then another couple I had never met came and sat down next to us. Also the NYFD was having a get together in a room adjacent to us. Even though I ate my dinner with two people I didnt know, I loved it.

 

I've been trying to find the name of that Steakhouse/Restaurant ever since, but haven't had any luck. I was in rare form that night as I was preparing for the UK/UConn game at MSG and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the restaurant. The only other thing I remember that night is going to Jack Dempsey's before the game, UK winning the game, then heading back 'home.'

Thanks. It sounds like a great way to cook scallops. I'll look around and see if I can find a block of it to order somewhere, I seriously doubt I'll find it locally.[/quote

 

 

Ask andyou shall recieve.

 

https://saltrox.com/

 

This guy is in central ky and can be seen on Tim Farmer Outdoors cooking on the stones. I have seen him a couple times thinking about getting one.

Thanks. It sounds like a great way to cook scallops. I'll look around and see if I can find a block of it to order somewhere, I seriously doubt I'll find it locally.[/quote

 

 

Ask andyou shall recieve.

 

https://saltrox.com/

 

This guy is in central ky and can be seen on Tim Farmer Outdoors cooking on the stones. I have seen him a couple times thinking about getting one.

 

Thank you sir.

Hope you are having a great time. About steaks I ant stand them thin . I want my at least 1 to 1/2 inches thick

 

Sounds like you would go for the London Broil. I try to grab those from time to time when they are on Manager's special at Kroger.

Thanks. It sounds like a great way to cook scallops. I'll look around and see if I can find a block of it to order somewhere, I seriously doubt I'll find it locally.[/quote

 

 

Ask andyou shall recieve.

 

https://saltrox.com/

 

This guy is in central ky and can be seen on Tim Farmer Outdoors cooking on the stones. I have seen him a couple times thinking about getting one.

 

They are good! Use it cold as well. Really changes the flavor of the food.

Mrs. TAC got the filet at Knotty Pine last night. No sauces needed. Yummy.

Re: steak sauce (or even cooking much of the pink out of it), in my opinion it is exactly like mixing soda with bourbon. Both perfectly pleasant to consume and better than most alternatives. Still, it doesn't seem worth it to me to pay for a premium bourbon or cut of meat when the difference in the final products might not even be noticeable.

 

To me noticing the subtleties in different bourbons and having a steak melt in your mouth without much of an additive is too good to alter. I'm not going to turn down a drink because it is bottom shelf, and I would still enjoy a well done steak sandwich with A1, but there's a reason a lot of booze is more expensive and those that love steak prefer it rare or medium rare.

All this steak talk...I heading to Boones butcher shop in Bardstown tomorrow and get me some steaks (along with some other meat while there).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.