February 19, 201610 yr All this steak talk...I heading to Boones butcher shop in Bardstown tomorrow and get me some steaks (along with some other meat while there). Those thick-cut ribeyes in the glass case have been calling me lately.
February 19, 201610 yr With temps in the 60's this weekend, there is no doubt that I'll be hitting up a local meat market Friday and picking up some steaks.
February 19, 201610 yr JD, have you been to Scioto Ribber in Portsmouth? Thinking about trying it sometime.
February 19, 201610 yr JD, have you been to Scioto Ribber in Portsmouth? Thinking about trying it sometime. Incredible steaks and ribs. It seems world's away from Ashland but I make the trip once a month or so.
February 19, 201610 yr Usually order medium if I'm out, but cook medium rare if I'm at home. Love my infared grill and have been experimenting with a stove top grill this winter. Even got little Miss GT in to learning how to cook a good steak of late. Something a father should pass down to his daughter ASAP... :lol2:
February 19, 201610 yr Medium Well for me too. Honestly it kind of grosses me out if I see too much pink. It's more about that than taste. I thought I taught you better than that.
February 19, 201610 yr With temps in the 60's this weekend, there is no doubt that I'll be hitting up a local meat market Friday and picking up some steaks. I think we might be throwing some Ribs on the grill instead. The lady likes those just a little more than steaks. I won't complain.
February 19, 201610 yr I thought I taught you better than that. I knew you wouldn't be happy with that. :lol2:
February 19, 201610 yr JD, have you been to Scioto Ribber in Portsmouth? Thinking about trying it sometime. I haven't been yet but I hear great things about it. Some of us from high school get together a few times a year for a trip up to Mineral Springs lake, its about a half hour northwest of Portsmouth. Giving the ribber a try has been on the itinerary for a while now, but we have yet to make it happen due to the rush to get to the cabin, then the rush to get back to Ashland after a weekend of drunkenness hah. Hopefully we can get out of town early enough to stop by there for lunch on our way up to Mineral Springs this year. I do know people that have been though and they all say it's excellent. So if your ever in that area I would at least give it a try. Edited February 19, 201610 yr by JDEaston
February 19, 201610 yr I think we might be throwing some Ribs on the grill instead. The lady likes those just a little more than steaks. I won't complain. It looks like great weather to spend a day grilling ribs this weekend. I helped a friend move across the pond back to ky today and when we moved his smoker grill I got a whiff of smoked BBQ. Needless to say, the first thing on my mind was ribs. Someone must have been reading my mind, because when I got home I discovered a full rack of smoked ribs that my father in law dropped off while I was gone.
February 20, 201610 yr Got a couple steaks this morning. Have them seasoned in the fridge right now, ready to throw them on the grill this evening with some potatoes and veggies. For a good medium rare and medium grill, what does everyone recommend per side? They're about an inch to inch and a quarter thick.
February 20, 201610 yr I always order mine medium. Mainly because I can eat it if it's cooked in error either direction. I used to raise cattle. The ones you bottle fed, raised, fattened and slaughtered on your own farm are the best. Grilled medium. Man I miss those days.
February 20, 201610 yr Got a couple steaks this morning. Have them seasoned in the fridge right now, ready to throw them on the grill this evening with some potatoes and veggies. For a good medium rare and medium grill, what does everyone recommend per side? They're about an inch to inch and a quarter thick. I can't give you a complete answer as all cuts of meat cook different, plus I don't know how hot you run your grill. But say if you run the grill in the 500 degree range, I imagine you would want to lean towards 5 minutes per side if you want a high medium rare to medium temperature. The internal temp your looking for would be around 138-140 degrees for upper medium rare to medium. Everything cooks a bit different though and people cook at different temps, not to mention most grill thermometers are not accurate at all. In general I use the touch test to tell when the steak is at the temp I want. For instance, I've found that a 2 1/2 inch thick filet from a local meat market almost always cooks a perfect medium rare in 7 minutes at around 700 degrees. But if I am cooking another cut of beef the times seem to vary and I can't cook it at that high of a temp without charring it, so in turn it actually takes longer to cook, even if its not as thick of a cut of meat.
February 22, 201610 yr This thread has created a monster: Ribeyes last Sunday for Valentines Day. NY Strip last night at Buckhead......sauteed mushrooms and onions of course served with!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.