No school = no evening activities

dallaslaredo

Some school districts have the policy: no school = no evening activities, ie sports.

If this is truly about student safety, anyone reasonable can understand that while road condition may exist in the morning that make cancelling school the right call...10 hours or more later, those same roads can be (and are likely to be) completely back to normal, based your typical overnight/morning snow event.

Do schools cancel evening activities in the name of safety, or because someone thinks it looks bad (who?) to not have school, but still have the basketball game? Like if you don't have dinner, you don't get dessert?

Boone County's default policy:

If school is canceled: Schools will not be open for regular business.

All afternoon and evening activities, including night school, are canceled as well.

Default is the key word. Not automatic. Checking into this. I'm sure it's not an automatic.

Default is the key word. Not automatic. Checking into this. I'm sure it's not an automatic.

Straight from the superintendent's office.

Activities cancellation is a separate decision from cancelling school. Not tied together.

The super's office will first decide if they need to cancel all activities. Mass decision.

If the supe's office says that the roads look good and parking lots look good i.e. looks safe to them they then send a message to each school's principal telling them the super's office is fine with it and it's their decision for that night. The principal then makes the call and it can vary from game to game. If girls' team is going to anther county that may not have clear roads he/she may cancel that game but allow the frosh boys to host a game at home.

Straight from the superintendent's office.

Activities cancellation is a separate decision from cancelling school. Not tied together.

The super's office will first decide if they need to cancel all activities. Mass decision.

If the supe's office says that the roads look good and parking lots look good i.e. looks safe to them they then send a message to each school's principal telling them the super's office is fine with it and it's their decision for that night. The principal then makes the call and it can vary from game to game. If girls' team is going to anther county that may not have clear roads he/she may cancel that game but allow the frosh boys to host a game at home.

What if a student-athlete is sick in the morning but ready to go at night for the game?

He/she didn't miss school so.....

I mean if there is school and someone is sick and they miss it but then they are much better later in the day. We all know that does happen, just like roads getting much better later in the day. Is the school policy the same? Or is it a double standard?

I mean if there is school and someone is sick and they miss it but then they are much better later in the day. We all know that does happen, just like roads getting much better later in the day. Is the school policy the same? Or is it a double standard?

No idea. If I were king I'd say no play if no school.

I don't see the double standard.

Can't be 100% certain, but I believe there's several schools that allow the visiting team to have a say in the decision. Meaning, if Anderson County is willing to drive all the way up to someplace like, say Grant County, then the game may still be played. Obviously, the locals will give their input as to current conditions, to be considered by the travelling team.

No idea. If I were king I'd say no play if no school.

I don't see the double standard.

If not having school is independent from school activities the same night then I think being sick in the morning, but not the same night needs to be addressed or it is a slight double standard.

In other words, what is good for the school is not good for the student-athlete.

If not having school is independent from school activities the same night then I think being sick in the morning, but not the same night needs to be addressed or it is a slight double standard.

In other words, what is good for the school is not good for the student-athlete.

Disagree. Students have no say in school being cancelled. They do have the say in staying home/faking it.

While I am against black and white rules I would word my rule strongly against a kid playing. Did he go see a doctor because of an injury? He can play. Did he call in sick to school? Can't play. I am not making it easy for a kid to skip school and still play that night.

Boone County's default policy:

If school is canceled: Schools will not be open for regular business.

All afternoon and evening activities, including night school, are canceled as well.

Not sure the "default" policy is used much.

Take today for example... "All evening activities scheduled for after 3:00pm are on as scheduled".