Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who Replaces Rick Pitino Next Season?

Featured Replies

Was Tressel fired for the tattoos and merchandise or lying to his AD about it?

 

Both. The cover-up is always worse than the crime. But the crime and cover-up pales in comparison to this fiasco, imo. I am not really debating the merits of my statement, it is simply the truth. Generally speaking, college basketball coaches are more insulated and protected than their football contemporaries by institutions and the media. If you've had any shred of success, you can putz along with 8-12 losses in a season and be fine. Have a bad year? All can be erased by a good match-up or two in the NCAA tournament and suddenly you are in the highly coveted "Sweet 16." In football at a good school, string together multiple 9-11 win seasons with a random bowl win scattered in there and you are brushing up a resume.

 

Let's compare Tubby vs. Gene Chizik. Both essentially won titles upon arrival. Tubby regressed and was ultimately forced out a decade after his run, Chizik is gone 1 1/2 years later.

  • Replies 225
  • Views 29.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both. The cover-up is always worse than the crime. But the crime and cover-up pales in comparison to this fiasco, imo. I am not really debating the merits of my statement, it is simply the truth. Generally speaking, college basketball coaches are more insulated and protected than their football contemporaries by institutions and the media. If you've had any shred of success, you can putz along with 8-12 losses in a season and be fine. Have a bad year? All can be erased by a good match-up or two in the NCAA tournament and suddenly you are in the highly coveted "Sweet 16." In football at a good school, string together multiple 9-11 win seasons with a random bowl win scattered in there and you are brushing up a resume.

 

Let's compare Tubby vs. Gene Chizik. Both essentially won titles upon arrival. Tubby regressed and was ultimately forced out a decade after his run, Chizik is gone 1 1/2 years later.

 

The one thing with Tubby is he did get the team back on the right track again and number one overall seed a few times. He honestly didn't do a bad job at UK at all until his last two years and there was no indication that it was going to get better either. Chizik won with a great offense and then he lost his OC and I think it became clear to them that the OC who is now the head coach was the big reason for the success.

  • Author

I'll be stunned of he's the coach at Louisville next season

The one thing with Tubby is he did get the team back on the right track again and number one overall seed a few times. He honestly didn't do a bad job at UK at all until his last two years and there was no indication that it was going to get better either. Chizik won with a great offense and then he lost his OC and I think it became clear to them that the OC who is now the head coach was the big reason for the success.

Never said he did a bad job. The point is there is a different standard and level of accountability held between football and basketball coaches. That is pretty well known.

Never said he did a bad job. The point is there is a different standard and level of accountability held between football and basketball coaches. That is pretty well known.

 

I know, I am bored at work and trying to find something to discuss here on bgp. It's been a slow day on bgp lol.

I'll be stunned of he's the coach at Louisville next season

 

Let's not forget that UL owes him a fortune if they fire him. If he survived the public disgrace of Karen Sypher, no way this is worse than that. Stick around, make that cash and if they decide to fire you for cause you've got a lawyers dream to fight that case.

Pitino is there as long as he wants to be....

I'll be stunned of he's the coach at Louisville next season

 

Well, be stunned, he's not going anywhere. Jurich one of the best AD's in the country if not the best - he will figure out a way to keep him - only way he goes is if it is proven that he knew about it and most believe that to be very unlikely. Pitino does more with less than any coach in the country. Can you imagine what he would have done with all those first round draft choices Cal has had. Record is similar w/o them.

Well, be stunned, he's not going anywhere. Jurich one of the best AD's in the country if not the best - he will figure out a way to keep him - only way he goes is if it is proven that he knew about it and most believe that to be very unlikely. Pitino does more with less than any coach in the country. Can you imagine what he would have done with all those first round draft choices Cal has had. Record is similar w/o them.

 

Benched them for most of their first season and lose to UK.

I thought he was gone.

 

I don't think so anymore.

It's become clear to me that RP will do whatever he wants. No one in the administration has what it takes to do anything to him. Once again, if he can survive Sypher, he can survive hookers.

I thought he was gone.

 

I don't think so anymore.

 

This is how I feel.

 

If you would have asked me 2 months ago I would have bet everything that he was gone. Now I think he goes only if he chooses to.

 

Pitino is one of the best coaches in the country no doubt, but there is a lot going on at UofL and the basketball coach is not the most important issue right at this moment IMO.

With the departure of Ramsey nobody really knows how the new President will handle this situation. Money talks at any university and when board members start to publicly question a coach, who knows what will happen. I'm guessing that Jurich and Pitino both stay or they both move on.

Pitino does more with less than any coach in the country. Can you imagine what he would have done with all those first round draft choices Cal has had. Record is similar w/o them.

 

At a school like Louisville, which probably ranks somewhere between the 7th and 10th best programs in the country, why isn't he getting better players? Why is he having to do more with less?

I thought he was gone.

 

I don't think so anymore.

 

I hope this is true. If he stays (or plans to stay), I think Onuaku stays. They could be very good next season.

 

Of course, things beyond his control (i.e., the NCAA) could intervene. In fact, even if he wants to stay, what does he tell Onuaku if he thinks there COULD be a 2017 postseason ban? Tough question to answer.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.