Questions Surround Teen's Death At E-Town Detention Center

Clyde

Let's change it up since my point is not clear.

Girl doesn't remove her sweatshirt. Sweats at guard. Calls him vile names.

He shoots her in the head.

She and only she is at fault ?

If the hold was illegal, then that person must be held accountable.

Here is how I see it. She is arrested, she disobeys orders, she is put in the hold. If either of the first two events do not occur, the hold never takes place. She is the one who put herself into this situation by disobeying.

I have had close relatives in jail and had no sympathy for them. One went to jail for not paying his traffic tickets and eluding the law. Missed seeing him for 6 months when he was in jail. Missed seeing the other one for 18 months. Yet, they obeyed the authorities, paid their dues and straightened out their lives. I have no sympathy for law breakers. Treat them properly, but they need to obey those in charge while in jail.

Officials say video of her time in the center exists EXCEPT for the time of the scuffle where a martial arts hold was used on her. Camera for that area was broken.

One report says the restraint lasted for 4 minutes.

My experience with at risk youth tells me that's a remarkably short restraint. I would be shocked if the restraint had anything to do with her death.

As someone in a similar business, I can tell you that removal of a hoodie is essential for the saftey of the person and others. It is not about dying over removal of a hoodie. Hoodies have a drawstring. People, especially women, hide all sorts of things in and under their clothing. If that young woman had been hiding something and harmed herself or others, it would have been the responsibility of the intake people. I can tell you from personal experience, that people do crazy, unexpected things all the time.

In addition, no one knows if that young lady had drugs on board which may have been a factor in her death.

That being said, I do not know anything about that particular hold. Where I work, we have very strict rules about what should and should not be done safely. The same goes for their policy of checking on people in their custody. If they violated their policies, which likely already have state and federal rules governing them, then they should be held accountable.

No one expects a healthy young person to die following a 4 minute restraint, if done properly. She certainly should not have died, and this definitely needs investigation. These situations are more complicated than they appear.

Then the inmates get to run the place? Yes, do as your told by whoever is in charge. Your parents, your teachers, the police and especially the guards at the jail your housed in. Then the hold is not placed on you, you avoid the situation. How many would have avoided more jail time for disobedience or how many would be alive if they had obeyed those in charge. Put the blame where it belongs. Her actions had serious consequences.

This is more complicated than just obeying the rules. It is so easy and just plain not understanding of people and their actions.

I think everyone agrees just follow the rules and things will be fine, however, some people feel fated. That doesn't condone their actions, but we should try and understand why they are there and what they might do. If you understand, then you handle these things differently. People that work in the type of facilities that foster people that have criminal and/or mental issues should know this and have been trained to handle it appropriately. That is the issue here. Did they follow protocol or did they not? The actions of people being fired or suspended tells me it wasn't.

Go ahead and blame the young lady if you want, but that is the type of thinking that causes riots and violent actions, like it or not.

This is more complicated than just obeying the rules. It is so easy and just plain not understanding of people and their actions.

I think everyone agrees just follow the rules and things will be fine, however, some people feel fated. That doesn't condone their actions, but we should try and understand why they are there and what they might do. If you understand, then you handle these things differently. People that work in the type of facilities that foster people that have criminal and/or mental issues should know this and have been trained to handle it appropriately. That is the issue here. Did they follow protocol or did they not? The actions of people being fired or suspended tells me it wasn't.

Go ahead and blame the young lady if you want, but that is the type of thinking that causes riots and violent actions, like it or not.

I said punish anyone who may have used an illegal hold, but it is her fault for being there and not listening. She may well have had lousy parents and then again she may have been a rebellious young lady. As I said in an earlier post, behave yourself, you are not in jail, listen to the authorities, there is no struggle and she is alive. I am tired of all the psycho-babble about those who disrespect the law and authority. She knew right from wrong and she went with wrong.