Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the KHSAA ready to impose the "Death Penalty" on Covington Holy Cross?

Featured Replies

And here's the problem...high school is not about sports!! Sports are an extra curricular and if anyone is choosing thier high school based on sports, then they have priority issues. If that was allowed, what do you think would happen to schools like Ludlow, Bellevue, Lloyd, Dayton, Newport.

 

You'd have schools getting getting bigger and better based on how much money they have to spend on recruiting. There is NO PLACE in high school for that!

 

No parent who has a kid that can excel at sports is going to send their kid to a school with mediocre sports programs. I'm still waiting for the story about Little Johnny who dominated football as a young kid but ended up at Covington Latin instead of Covington Catholic.

  • Replies 565
  • Views 65.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it was based on sports shame on the parents.

 

What if the move is based on sports and it just so happens the school with the better sports program is also better academically? What then?

And I'm not "hinting" anything. I'm saying if parents are placing that much priority on high school sports, it's a shame and that's why we are where we are in today's world of high school sports. Every parent thinks their kid is the next Mike Mitchell and are obsessed with winning in high school. Sure it's fun to win. But to win by building powerhouses recruiting out of district kids has no place in high school. Period!

 

Whenever a kid transfers to an out of district school people automatically assume recruiting took place. That isn't always the case. I'd argue more often than not recruiting didn't take place.

As far as the whole academics is more important than athletics argument goes, if you're teaching your kids how important an education is then it doesn't matter what school they go to. Only schools with a bunch of accelerated learning programs are doing more than a majority of schools in KY. A college preparatory diploma from ____________ is the same as a college preparatory diploma from _____________. A 3.75 GPA at _________ is the same as a 3.75 GPA at ____________. IMO if your kid can play sports and wants to play sports and they stay at ____________ to get their head beat in like a drum every time they step on the court/field then that's cool. Enjoy your time getting mollywhopped every game. If your only focus for your kid is academics and not sports that is your choice. The reality for parents with kids who can excel at and play sports is nurturing that mindset and putting their kids in the best possible scenario to succeed. I have no reservations at all for anything I have done to allow my son to succeed in the classroom and on the court but there is no way in hell I'd let my son stay in an athletic environment that I feel would be a negative experience.

Is it just girls basketball? There have been rumors about other sports there as well.
This! They haven't even hid it very well.
You posted it , it's your site so I get the rules become more flexible.

 

If you don't have anymore info doesn't seem fair to a school.

 

I will also say if it happens to be true it isn't a good look for the KHSAA to go after the one urban Catholic school in NKY with all that goes on.

 

I still find it funny the one poster who has made it his mission and the school who roots for. You would figure with all the claims against that school over the years one would be more sensitive to accusations. But I guess ripping a school from Covington doesn't matter.

Newport is urban.

Newport is urban.
But Newport is not Catholic .
No parent who has a kid that can excel at sports is going to send their kid to a school with mediocre sports programs. I'm still waiting for the story about Little Johnny who dominated football as a young kid but ended up at Covington Latin instead of Covington Catholic.

 

Ices aid plenty of times in this conversation that sports can be a factor, but should not be "the" factor. And if we are relating this topic to what we are talking about, the place these kids have come from so far are just as good and just as well know for their girls Bball programs. In a couple cases, much more history than the school they are going to!

 

Again, I'm not saying it can't be a factor. I'm saying any parent that moves kids from one school to another based solely on sports has their priorities out of order. It's that simple and that's my opinion.

 

And yes, I had a very good player that played aau for me for a long time and decided to go to Cov Latin for acedemics. So yes it happened. She would have been a senior this year, but skipped two grades and graduated two years ago. She didn't didn't care how good they were in Bball. Now she's a Jr in college.

 

Again, you know me and you know my kids play sports. I would have them at a good acedemic school with a good sports program. But I can tell you that acedemics absolutely weighed a lot higher than the sports. 99% of all the kids will be done with sports after college, if those fortunate few even get to play in college. So anyone that chooses a high school soley in sports isn't thinking it all the way through. And again, in these situations so far, they are not coming from school with a lesser program. One could argue that historically, the programs are better than where they are coming from!

Whenever a kid transfers to an out of district school people automatically assume recruiting took place. That isn't always the case. I'd argue more often than not recruiting didn't take place.

 

Never said that. I agree. The majority the time transfers are done correctly in my opinion. Have Zero issues with transfers.

No parent who has a kid that can excel at sports is going to send their kid to a school with mediocre sports programs. I'm still waiting for the story about Little Johnny who dominated football as a young kid but ended up at Covington Latin instead of Covington Catholic.

 

Maybe it wouldn't happen today, but I can name two players who went to Covington Latin that are among the greatest athletes in Northern Kentucky history. David Justice who played professional baseball and Brian O'Conner who played professional basketball in Europe and the CBA and is probably the best basketball player in Thomas More history both went to Latin School.

 

I would argue that in my lifetime for top level athletes high school sports have never been less important. Between club sports, AAU, select teams, sports camps, etc. I am not even sure you need to play high school sports to get a scholarship if you are good enough.

No parent who has a kid that can excel at sports is going to send their kid to a school with mediocre sports programs. I'm still waiting for the story about Little Johnny who dominated football as a young kid but ended up at Covington Latin instead of Covington Catholic.
David Justice..........baseball:D
But Newport is not Catholic .

 

Newport Catholic is both Catholic and in Newport.

Man, I'm gonna put on my favorite Rose Hill pullover and enjoy this thread all day long.:popcorn:

As far as the whole academics is more important than athletics argument goes, if you're teaching your kids how important an education is then it doesn't matter what school they go to. Only schools with a bunch of accelerated learning programs are doing more than a majority of schools in KY. A college preparatory diploma from ____________ is the same as a college preparatory diploma from _____________. A 3.75 GPA at _________ is the same as a 3.75 GPA at ____________. IMO if your kid can play sports and wants to play sports and they stay at ____________ to get their head beat in like a drum every time they step on the court/field then that's cool. Enjoy your time getting mollywhopped every game. If your only focus for your kid is academics and not sports that is your choice. The reality for parents with kids who can excel at and play sports is nurturing that mindset and putting their kids in the best possible scenario to succeed. I have no reservations at all for anything I have done to allow my son to succeed in the classroom and on the court but there is no way in hell I'd let my son stay in an athletic environment that I feel would be a negative experience.

 

Exactly

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.