Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the KHSAA ready to impose the "Death Penalty" on Covington Holy Cross?

Featured Replies

These weren't summer select teams. Official teams of school. I habe no clue if this continues now. But I know every major program in 9th participated in the late 90s and early 2000s. Kids played with one school and sometimes changed mind when classes started. It this is breaking the rules then I can point to quite a few schools who broke them.

 

It all depends on if those kids were playing with their district teams in the summer. If they were, it's legal. Even if they ended up enrolling at another school in the fall. However, if they were playing with that other school in the summer and they weren't enrolled at that school already, they were illegal.

  • Replies 565
  • Views 65.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as you were playing with your district, no issue. If you were playing with a school you weren't enrolled in or part of that district, then you were breaking the rules. Not talking about summer select teams though.

 

What I'm saying is kids that come to HHS their freshman year from other districts or private schools.

 

If those players have/had permission form the school they are enrolled in it would be fine to play for whomever. So if an 8th grader was enrolled at Canpbell Co and wanted to play for Brossart in the summer they could as long as they have written permission from Campebll Co that the player was allowed to do so.

If those players have/had permission form the school they are enrolled in it would be fine to play for whomever. So if an 8th grader was enrolled at Canpbell Co and wanted to play for Brossart in the summer they could as long as they have written permission from Campebll Co that the player was allowed to do so.

 

True! That's the only exception.

It all depends on if those kids were playing with their district teams in the summer. If they were, it's legal. Even if they ended up enrolling at another school in the fall. However, if they were playing with that other school in the summer and they weren't enrolled at that school already, they were illegal.

 

Again if what your describing is the rule then there are many programs who have broke it. That's why I asked if there has been a rule change since the late 90s. It was common practice in the 9th when I played. A lot of these coaches who seem to be complaining participated in it or played during it.

 

If there was a rule change then fine.

 

I'll also add if what you described is really the rule. Then it just adds to my problem with KHSAA rules. Until my child enrolls into a high school , that school doesn't own my child.

So what would keep high school programs from going out to every middle school in NKy and recruit kids? You have to have rules. You can work with any kid in your district. You cannot work with any kid out of your district. (Without permission) If you could, schools would have a budget for a recruiting department!

So what would keep high school programs from going out to every middle school in NKy and recruit kids? You have to have rules. You can work with any kid in your district. You cannot work with any kid out of your district. (Without permission) If you could, schools would have a budget for a recruiting department!

 

I'd be fine with that. Keeps schools on top of their game. Schools shouldn't own kids. I've probably said that 100 times on this site.

I'd be fine with that. Keeps schools on top of their game. Schools shouldn't own kids. I've probably said that 100 times on this site.

 

And here's the problem...high school is not about sports!! Sports are an extra curricular and if anyone is choosing thier high school based on sports, then they have priority issues. If that was allowed, what do you think would happen to schools like Ludlow, Bellevue, Lloyd, Dayton, Newport.

 

You'd have schools getting getting bigger and better based on how much money they have to spend on recruiting. There is NO PLACE in high school for that!

And here's the problem...high school is not about sports!! Sports are an extra curricular and if anyone is choosing thier high school based on sports, then they have priority issues. If that was allowed, what do you think would happen to schools like Ludlow, Bellevue, Lloyd, Dayton, Newport.

 

You'd have schools getting getting bigger and better based on how much money they have to spend on recruiting. There is NO PLACE in high school for that!

 

What world do you live? Any good athlete and his or her parents takes sports into their decision making when choosing a school.

 

It's helped your school over the years .

 

I'm sure the success of Highlands football program had nothing to do with Mike Mitchell going their it was all academics lol. Your act is old.

I have zero problem if a kid wants to go somewhere that can provide a better education. I have a problem if a kid moves schools based on sports, but I'm a person that thinks education is more important than sports, so I'm the crazy one.

What world do you live? Any good athlete and his or her parents takes sports into their decision making when choosing a school.

 

It's helped your school over the years .

 

I'm sure the success of Highlands football program had nothing to do with Mike Mitchell going their it was all academics lol. Your act is old.

 

Our school attracts kids because of its academics. We have way more kids that chose HHS because of academics than any sport. The sports are a bonus. And if those kids chose HHS solely on the sports, then yes, priority issues.

I have zero problem if a kid wants to go somewhere that can provide a better education. I have a problem if a kid moves schools based on sports, but I'm a person that thinks education is more important than sports, so I'm the crazy one.

 

I have no problem if they take both into account. It worked out for a player like Mike Mitchell and I say more power to him.

What world do you live? Any good athlete and his or her parents takes sports into their decision making when choosing a school.

 

It's helped your school over the years .

 

I'm sure the success of Highlands football program had nothing to do with Mike Mitchell going their it was all academics lol. Your act is old.

If it was based on sports shame on the parents.

Our school attracts kids because of if academics. We have way more kids that chose HHS because of academics than any sport. The sports are a bonus. And if those kids chose HHS solely on the sports, then yes, priority issues.

 

So you don't think Highlands football success attracts kids ? I applaud them for it. But let's not be naive. Dominate programs attract kids looking to excel and get to the next level and schools should strive to get the Highlands and Trinity level in that regard.

 

But to say something so dishonest as to think this isn't on the mind of a lot of parents minds is just silly. If your child is a good athlete and you don't take into account I would say that is a mistake.

  • Author
Does a student athlete, when requested by KHSAA, have an obligation to respond or entertain a discussion with the KHSAA or is / are the athlete(s) immune from such requests ? Is the family of an athlete required / obligated to respond to such requests ?

 

Just spitballing here but I doubt the KHSAA can force any minor or their parents to testify in any formal way.

 

My guess would be potential witnesses are being offered up to the KHSAA if the complaintants like what they hear from the KHSAA about the investigation.

If it was based on sports shame on the parents.

 

Didn't he go from Covington Catholic to Highlands ? Are we really going to act like one is superior to the other on academics ?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.