Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the KHSAA ready to impose the "Death Penalty" on Covington Holy Cross?

Featured Replies

What world do you live? Any good athlete and his or her parents takes sports into their decision making when choosing a school.

 

It's helped your school over the years .

 

I'm sure the success of Highlands football program had nothing to do with Mike Mitchell going their it was all academics lol. Your act is old.

 

Where did I say he didn't help the success of the football team?? I'm saying if his parents made the decision to go to HHS solely based on the football team, then in my opinion that's a priority issue. Regardless of how he contributed to the football program! Isn't that what we are dicussing.

  • Replies 565
  • Views 65.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't he go from Covington Catholic to Highlands ? Are we really going to act like one is superior to the other on academics ?

I have no clue how is better academically. I sure both will claim they are. I'm saying if he moved based on sports then Shame on the parents for letting it happen.

I have no problem if they take both into account. It worked out for a player like Mike Mitchell and I say more power to him.

 

Worked out? You don't think he makes it if he doesn't go to HHS. He went to OU and probably could have gone there regardless where he played high school.

Didn't he go from Covington Catholic to Highlands ? Are we really going to act like one is superior to the other on academics ?

 

I didn't compare any other schools academics, you are. And you're talking about one football player that played a long time ago. Are you insinuating that's the norm??

I have no problem if they take both into account. It worked out for a player like Mike Mitchell and I say more power to him.

 

Mike Mitchell is the exception and would have been successful no matter where he played.

I didn't compare any other schools academics, you are. And you're talking about one football player that played a long time ago. Are you insinuating that's the norm??

 

That parents take sports into account along with academics I'd say it's a lot more normal than you are hinting.

Regardless, however you want to justify it or what you would like the rules to be...the rules currently don't allow for it. If they did, every school would be doing it. It wouldn't only benefit a few. All would have the same opportunity. The problem comes when most schools follow the rules and others don't....whether you agree with the rules or not.

Mike Mitchell is the exception and would have been successful no matter where he played.

 

That has nothing to do with my point , but I'd say being at Highlands helped. Having a great coaching , structure and success can only help.

 

I always see in college forums how it's unfair that college players have to see out a year when transferring, but coaches don't.

 

Why is it that some have a different opinion on high school players. I'm of the belief whether it's high school or college if they aren't paying me they shouldn't own me.

That parents take sports into account along with academics I'd say it's a lot more normal than you are hinting.

 

I didn't say "take into account". I'm sure it can be part of the decision. But it shouldn't be the main reason by any means. And again, that's just my opinion. Education will take you way further than any sport unless you are a male elite athlete. Where a kid plays in high school will have zero effect on how the are recruited or further their education. With the exception maybe being football. So deciding where you go for high school solely based on sports is not a good thing.

My guess is the vast majority have no problem with a group of friends choosing to continue playing a sport together in high school and playing out of their home district to do so.

 

To my understanding, the problem here is how did this group of players, and others before them at this school, arrive at the decision to attend this school.

I truly truly have no dog in this fight. But the above bold is important. I know others have alluded to things happening at other schools at other times. Maybe it did. Hope it didn't. But if it happens on larger scale because some feel they can skirt the words of certain sentences in by-laws and defend the actions..it's just sad. It's sad for kids at the school that might have a chance to develop but that chance is diminished due to focusing on the "transfers". But obviously some transfers are absolutely OK...it's the bolded statement above that's the key difference IMO.

That parents take sports into account along with academics I'd say it's a lot more normal than you are hinting.

 

And I'm not "hinting" anything. I'm saying if parents are placing that much priority on high school sports, it's a shame and that's why we are where we are in today's world of high school sports. Every parent thinks their kid is the next Mike Mitchell and are obsessed with winning in high school. Sure it's fun to win. But to win by building powerhouses recruiting out of district kids has no place in high school. Period!

I didn't say "take into account". I'm sure it can be part of the decision. But it shouldn't be the main reason by any means. And again, that's just my opinion. Education will take you way further than any sport unless you are a male elite athlete. Where a kid plays in high school will have zero effect on how the are recruited or further their education. With the exception maybe being football. So deciding where you go for high school solely based on sports is not a good thing.

 

I never said the only thing. Just it plays apart. There are a lot of good schools but I have no problem with sports being the tie breaker . If my kid were an elite level basketball player I'd want to go to CCH and if football Highlands. I don't think their would be a drop off on academics at either.

So what would keep high school programs from going out to every middle school in NKy and recruit kids? You have to have rules. You can work with any kid in your district. You cannot work with any kid out of your district. (Without permission) If you could, schools would have a budget for a recruiting department!

 

How does that work for a private school? Most who attend do not live in that district, so when making that choice to go to a particular private school, you are not allowed to get a up close look at the athletics because they are not allowed to do anything with you during the summer months? I don't believe sports should be the sole reasoning for choosing a school, but it can be some part of it.

How does that work for a private school? Most who attend do not live in that district, so when making that choice to go to a particular private school, you are not allowed to get a up close look at the athletics because they are not allowed to do anything with you during the summer months? I don't believe sports should be the sole reasoning for choosing a school, but it can be some part of it.

 

The majority of students at private schools in NKY come from their feeder parishes (except for Villa and Latin which do not have feeder schools). A majority of kids at say St. Henry come from St. Henry feeder parishes. Now some schools have a higher % and some a lower % of kids from their feeder parishes but I would guess that at least 51% come from their feeder parishes.

How does that work for a private school? Most who attend do not live in that district, so when making that choice to go to a particular private school, you are not allowed to get a up close look at the athletics because they are not allowed to do anything with you during the summer months? I don't believe sports should be the sole reasoning for choosing a school, but it can be some part of it.

 

It works by if you follow the rules you can get permission from the school where you're enrolled and go see. You can do a shadow day and watch academics and athletics if you want. Heck, I don't think kids are going in and doing three days a week in the classroom to see if they like it or attending the math camp to see how many times the teacher calls on them. Give me a break.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.