Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the KHSAA ready to impose the "Death Penalty" on Covington Holy Cross?

Featured Replies

Come on, Tdy... are you comparing 9th grade girls that want to go to school together and play basketball together with grown boys throwing urine on another player? wow.

 

I assure you KHSAA found nothing when they investigated HC....no story. How do I know?... unlike all of the other people in here... I know. There was definitely urine thrown on a player from Highlands.... thats a story. That is why it was reported.

I say that with all due respect. I usually agree with most of your posts. But, to blame what happened at Highlands or what you feel like is lack of reporting at HC on Tricia is silly.

Also, I don't bring the 2 jugs of urine thing to belittle.... It worked. You made it to the state finals. I just think you didn't throw enough urine.

 

..wrote in jest. apologies.

  • Replies 565
  • Views 65.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parents. The answer is parents.

 

Thanks LA, it was an introspective thought, did not require an answer.

Does a student athlete, when requested by KHSAA, have an obligation to respond or entertain a discussion with the KHSAA or is / are the athlete(s) immune from such requests ? Is the family of an athlete required / obligated to respond to such requests ?

Come on, Tdy... are you comparing 9th grade girls that want to go to school together and play basketball together with grown boys throwing urine on another player? wow.

 

I assure you KHSAA found nothing when they investigated HC....no story. How do I know?... unlike all of the other people in here... I know. There was definitely urine thrown on a player from Highlands.... thats a story. That is why it was reported.

I say that with all due respect. I usually agree with most of your posts. But, to blame what happened at Highlands or what you feel like is lack of reporting at HC on Tricia is silly.

Also, I don't bring the 2 jugs of urine thing to belittle.... It worked. You made it to the state finals. I just think you didn't throw enough urine.

 

Wait 9th grade girls! This is what this thread is all about. Well, sorry, but thought it was something bigger than that.

Does a student athlete, when requested by KHSAA, have an obligation to respond or entertain a discussion with the KHSAA or is / are the athlete(s) immune from such requests ? Is the family of an athlete required / obligated to respond to such requests ?

 

Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the AD or head coaches?

9th grade girls that want to go to school together and play basketball together

 

 

My guess is the vast majority have no problem with a group of friends choosing to continue playing a sport together in high school and playing out of their home district to do so.

 

To my understanding, the problem here is how did this group of players, and others before them at this school, arrive at the decision to attend this school.

My guess is the vast majority have no problem with a group of friends choosing to continue playing a sport together in high school and playing out of their home district to do so.

 

To my understanding, the problem here is how did this group of players, and others before them at this school, arrive at the decision to attend this school.

 

I agree VOR...when kids choose to go play with their buddies, no problem. But when that happens, it's usually just 1-2 kids that actually do it and its usually kids going to a school that at least one of them were already connected to or playing at. I don't think I've heard of kids getting together and going to some ramdom school that none of them had a prior connection with! But who knows.

It is difficult to have open discussion with this thread title without getting into rule 4 violation territory, but I'll try. My understanding is that HC had one or more of their program coaching staff also coaching AAU. The High School staff then invited kids from the AAU program to open gyms and camps at HC. Absolutely nothing wrong so far. Infact, IMO, if you are committed to developing a winning program, this is a good business practice. Catholic schools have to market themselves in order to survive and this is again, IMO, an extension of a Catholic Schools attempt to market themselves. Again, no issue here.

 

Now to the controversial part.

 

Keep in mind this has not been substantiated, but is merely my understanding of what happened and there are those on here that can correct me if there are errors in my understanding. It has been asserted that there are student athletes getting financial aide that is not generally available to the student population at large. That is the issue that has raised the ire of some.

It is difficult to have open discussion with this thread title without getting into rule 4 violation territory, but I'll try. My understanding is that HC had one or more of their program coaching staff also coaching AAU. The High School staff then invited kids from the AAU program to open gyms and camps at HC. Absolutely nothing wrong so far. Infact, IMO, if you are committed to developing a winning program, this is a good business practice. Catholic schools have to market themselves in order to survive and this is again, IMO, an extension of a Catholic Schools attempt to market themselves. Again, no issue here.

 

Now to the controversial part.

 

Keep in mind this has not been substantiated, but is merely my understanding of what happened and there are those on here that can correct me if there are errors in my understanding. It has been asserted that there are student athletes getting financial aide that is not generally available to the student population at large. That is the issue that has raised the ire of some.

 

More than just those things. That's what some are missing. A lot more.

 

However, I would challenge your open gym theory. It depends on what you mean by "open gym". If someone opens the gym doors for kids to play in the summer, no issue. However, if kids from out of district are invited or the open gym is run by a coach and there is any interaction that could be perceived as influencing a kid to go to that school, then it's a violation Hhs goes thru this all the time with football. Kids come to HHS starting their freshman year. Of course they want to start practicing with the team in the summer like everyone else. No big deal, they are coming right? HHS does not let those kids practice until they are enrolled and officially part of the school. The coaches won't even have conversations with them. I coach softball and we workout pretty much year round. I always get asked if kids from other schools can come workout with us because their teams aren't doing anything. The answer unfortunately is no. I'd love to help the kids, but it's illegal. In fact, I've had kids show up that we had to ask to leave. So it depends on the definition of "open gym". But saying all open gyms in the summer are okay is not true.

Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the AD or head coaches?

 

Who should the AD or head coach be representing at that point? The KHSAA or the student?

It is difficult to have open discussion with this thread title without getting into rule 4 violation territory, but I'll try. My understanding is that HC had one or more of their program coaching staff also coaching AAU. The High School staff then invited kids from the AAU program to open gyms and camps at HC. Absolutely nothing wrong so far. Infact, IMO, if you are committed to developing a winning program, this is a good business practice. Catholic schools have to market themselves in order to survive and this is again, IMO, an extension of a Catholic Schools attempt to market themselves. Again, no issue here.

 

Now to the controversial part.

 

Keep in mind this has not been substantiated, but is merely my understanding of what happened and there are those on here that can correct me if there are errors in my understanding. It has been asserted that there are student athletes getting financial aide that is not generally available to the student population at large. That is the issue that has raised the ire of some.

 

The rules are you may not have kids from other HS or others feeder schools participate in open gyms, workouts or practices without permission from that players; AD, Coach or Principal. Must be in writing that it's ok for them to attended, Word of mouth or an ok you can go is not good enough. If a school allows them to play, invited or not, without written permission then that school is in violation. You may only work with your kids in your HS or your feeder schools period. without permission from other schools other kids can't be there. The diocese may allow it because kids can go where ever I guess. As long as the kids that attend a public school get written permission there is no issue. If they didn't get permission then a bylaw has been broken and a punishment should be handed down.

The more I read people's reponses regarding this issue, the more I realize why people don't think this is a big deal. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that people don't think any of this is that big because they don't actually know the rules and that makes more sense to me. If you assume that certain things are okay, then I could understand why you wouldn't think any thing of some of this stuff. But again, keep in mind that the open gym and aau stuff is just a small part of what the KHSSA is looking in to.

More than just those things. That's what some are missing. A lot more.

 

However, I would challenge your open gym theory. It depends on what you mean by "open gym". If someone opens the gym doors for kids to play in the summer, no issue. However, if kids from out of district are invited or the open gym is run by a coach and there is any interaction that could be perceived as influencing a kid to go to that school, then it's a violation Hhs goes thru this all the time with football. Kids come to HHS starting their freshman year. Of course they want to start practicing with the team in the summer like everyone else. No big deal, they are coming right? HHS does not let those kids practice until they are enrolled and officially part of the school. The coaches won't even have conversations with them. I coach softball and we workout pretty much year round. I always get asked if kids from other schools can come workout with us because their teams aren't doing anything. The answer unfortunately is no. I'd love to help the kids, but it's illegal. In fact, I've had kids show up that we had to ask to leave. So it depends on the definition of "open gym". But saying all open gyms in the summer are okay is not true.

 

Have the rules changed in the last 15 years ? In basketball we played in tournaments the summer before our freshman year against other schools incoming freshman. Well before anyone started classes.

 

Some kids played with schools during the summer and enrolled elsewhere when classes started. This wasn't a couple schools this was almost every 9th region school.

Have the rules changed in the last 15 years ? In basketball we played in tournaments the summer before our freshman year against other schools incoming freshman. Well before anyone started classes.

 

As long as you were playing with your district, no issue. If you were playing with a school you weren't enrolled in or part of that district, then you were breaking the rules. Not talking about summer select teams though.

 

What I'm saying is kids that come to HHS their freshman year from other districts or private schools.

As long as you were playing with your district, no issue. If you were playing with a school you weren't enrolled in or part of that district, then you were breaking the rules. No summer select teams.

 

What I'm saying is kids that come to HHS their freshman year from other districts or private schools.

 

These weren't summer select teams. Official teams of school. I habe no clue if this continues now. But I know every major program in 9th participated in the late 90s and early 2000s. Kids played with one school and sometimes changed mind when classes started. It this is breaking the rules then I can point to quite a few schools who broke them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.