Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the KHSAA ready to impose the "Death Penalty" on Covington Holy Cross?

Featured Replies

I'm not. I simply don't like when people say that folks who place their kid in ____________ school solely for sports has their priorities out of wack. Most school's academic curriculum is the same as 98% of the schools in the state.

 

The key word here is "solely". There are plenty of parents these days that do it solely for sports. They won't tell you that, but its happening. Those are the people I'm talking about.

  • Replies 565
  • Views 65.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Newport Catholic is both Catholic and in Newport.

 

While it is true that Newport is not Newport Catholic, Newport is, however, very Catholic.

The key word here is "solely". There are plenty of parents these days that do it solely for sports. They won't tell you that, but its happening. Those are the people I'm talking about.

 

Gotcha. I didn't move my son 'solely' for sports but I'd be lying if I said sports didn't have a large part of the reasoning for him moving.

I'm not. I think they are a very good academic school. But if you tell me you are moving your kid from HHS (where they go for free) to pay for HC because of academic reasons, I'm not buying it. Just my opinion.

 

But just about everyone has universally said that they would or do make the decision based on both. Pretty clear that is what happened here and what happens just about everywhere. It is extremely naive to act like kids and parents don't factor athletics into their decision making. You keep saying most won't play college and that is true. It doesn't change that a lot of kids will look back at their high school days and keep those memories for a lifetime and sports are a big part of that for the ones that play them.

But just about everyone has universally said that they would or do make the decision based on both. Pretty clear that is what happened here and what happens just about everywhere. It is extremely naive to act like kids and parents don't factor athletics into their decision making. You keep saying most won't play college and that is true. It doesn't change that a lot of kids will look back at their high school days and keep those memories for a lifetime and sports are a big part of that for the ones that play them.

 

I'm not saying they don't consider athletics. Heck, I do! I'm saying solely. If a parent sends a kid to a school solely on the athletics to win, then shame on them. That's all I'm saying. Whether or not that was done in this situation is a moot point. I won't go into how it applies to this. We'll see how it turns out. But either way, what you are talking about is a very small part of the issue. People are getting caught up on this and its minimal.

I like this discussion about what goes into choosing a high school and feel it should have its own thread. For me, athletics is probably no more than 25% of the decision. Academics and what the school experience will be like are much more important. I think that is the way most people look at it.

I like this discussion about what goes into choosing a high school and feel it should have its own thread. For me, athletics is probably no more than 25% of the decision. Academics and what the school experience will be like are much more important. I think that is the way most people look at it.

 

Certainly you would agree that athletics plays a big role in the overall school experience?

Certainly you would agree that athletics plays a big role in the overall school experience?

 

To me it would depend on the child. I don't know what a "good" academic school looks like vs a not so good one. If I have a gifted child that excels academically, they need a school that offers AP classes and challenges them and prepares them for the ACT/SAT which will provide options later. Many schools offer this. If I have a average child academically, I still want them challenged but AP classes really have no impact on them. The challenge in both children starts at home anyways, not at the school. Sports play a big part for us and choosing what school and I would not hesitate to change schools if the athletics didn't offer what we wanted and we would chose that school based off the above mentioned academics. My parents did it for me and I will and have done the same.

Question for anyone. If an 8th grade girl from a catholic feeder went to open gyms in like june or july prior to her freshman year and then went to a different school (than the open gym(s) in august, is this a violation? So any contact during the 8th grade year while at that feeder school from the high school coach is a violation as well? I am referring to private schools.

Question for anyone. If an 8th grade girl from a catholic feeder went to open gyms in like june or july prior to her freshman year and then went to a different school (than the open gym(s) in august, is this a violation? So any contact during the 8th grade year while at that feeder school from the high school coach is a violation as well? I am referring to private schools.

 

Were they Diocesean high schools ?

Were they Diocesean high schools ?

 

yes say the open gym was and the high school the ended up is.

Certainly you would agree that athletics plays a big role in the overall school experience?

 

As Deuces22 stated above, it depends on what is right for that particular child and how much they care for athletics. But in general, yes athletics might be as much as 25% of the decision. That does not mean going to the best sports program. If my child is just an above average basketball player and he really wants a chance to play basketball in high school, I am not sending him to Covington Catholic. I will let him play for my district school where he has a much better chance of making the team and perhaps even getting playing time.

 

If my child is a standout who might even play college basketball on some level, if he really wants to go to Cov Cath then I will consider it. I don't think he needs to go to Cov Cath to move on and play college basketball but if he thinks he can win a state championship at CCH versus his district school and is good enough to be a lock as a starter or get significant minutes then I would seriously consider allowing him to attend CCH.

 

All that being said if CCH is not a high quality academic school he is not going there no matter how much he wants to. He also will know that his grades better stay top notch if he wants me to pay tuition for that school and basketball better not get in the way of his grades.

 

Finally, hypothetically ... if the head basketball coach contacts us and promises playing time and they will even help out with a scholarship then I am much more open to him attending that school.

Edited by Voice of Reason

I don't know a whole lot about the current allegations but I know one thing, privately some Notre Dame powers that be have had an issue with Kes Murphy for a long time.

 

Because he won what they wanted to win.

Yes, IF they are in their district or feeder, no problem.

 

Catholic schools don't have districts. Look at all the kids who live or have lived in a certain town in Boone County that starts with the letter U and go to a Catholic school in the Park Hills area rather than the Catholic high school in Boone County. There ARE NO Districts.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.