Four Ryle Seniors Win Gaming Scholarships

lawildcat

I know all four of these boys and they are very bright. I am happy for them if they can get their school paid for and wish them well with a future career (apart from gaming).

Having said that, gaming is a major waste of time. How many hours are spent on gaming when the time could be used for much more productive things, like reading, chores, and/or a job? The opportunity these four kids received is an anomaly. How many hours are wasted, not only on playing games, but also on developing better games when those same engineering smarts could be turned to something productive or to solve some of the major problems we have today, like clean energy, etc.?

I think this whole scholarship thing reflects poorly on the values of our society today.

I know, I'm Mr. Wet Blanket here, sorry everyone. I attribute my view to being raised by a parent who grew up during the Great Depression on a farm in rural Ohio. My Dad used to say, "Let me see your hands." I'd show them to him palms up and he'd say, "I have a shovel (rake, hoe, hammer) that will fit those. We've got work to do."

BTW, gaming ain't a sport.

I have to go now. I'm looking for a parade to rain on... :sour:

I assume you are against kids playing high school sports, band, etc. They would have so much more time to commit to World Peace if they would just stop wasting all those hours training for high school athletics.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@littleluck55, would you honestly be happy if your kid spent 40 hrs a week playing a video game even if his/her excuse is that he/she is trying to earn a scholarship?

I do not equate sitting in a chair staring at a computer screen playing a video game with the benefits one may gain both physically and otherwise from playing and training for an organized sport.

Band, provides lots of intellectual stimulation and those who are in band tend to achieve more academically. Band is not a waste of time. You don't want to compare the average gamer's grades with the average band student's grades do you?

I limit my kids time with video games. I limit their involvement in other extra curricular activities, as well. Too much of a good thing (like sports) is not so good.

While I do not, there are those who consider sports a waste of time and they do have a point. Especially, in an agrarian culture where everyone in the family needs to work hard on the farm to make a living and also in economically disadvantaged areas where work for pay is necessary to make ends meet. For instance, my father was not allowed to play football because it was during harvest time and his labor was needed at home. But basketball season was at a time of year when it was dark outside after school any way and there was less work required on the farm so he played basketball.

I am a little surprised that there are not more people who see spending so much time playing a video game as a problem. I wonder how a potential employer would view a candidate if their answer to the interview question, "How much time do you spend playing video games per week?" were 40 hours per week? Good first impression?

I think our country could use a good dose of the values learned by the generation that went through the Great Depression... things like work and productivity, and place less value on leisure.

Call me a dinosaur, but make it a T-Rex.

@littleluck55, would you honestly be happy if your kid spent 40 hrs a week playing a video game even if his/her excuse is that he/she is trying to earn a scholarship?

I do not equate sitting in a chair staring at a computer screen playing a video game with the benefits one may gain both physically and otherwise from playing and training for an organized sport.

Band, provides lots of intellectual stimulation and those who are in band tend to achieve more academically. Band is not a waste of time. You don't want to compare the average gamer's grades with the average band student's grades do you?

I limit my kids time with video games. I limit their involvement in other extra curricular activities, as well. Too much of a good thing (like sports) is not so good.

While I do not, there are those who consider sports a waste of time and they do have a point. Especially, in an agrarian culture where everyone in the family needs to work hard on the farm to make a living and also in economically disadvantaged areas where work for pay is necessary to make ends meet. For instance, my father was not allowed to play football because it was during harvest time and his labor was needed at home. But basketball season was at a time of year when it was dark outside after school any way and there was less work required on the farm so he played basketball.

I am a little surprised that there are not more people who see spending so much time playing a video game as a problem. I wonder how a potential employer would view a candidate if their answer to the interview question, "How much time do you spend playing video games per week?" were 40 hours per week? Good first impression?

I think our country could use a good dose of the values learned by the generation that went through the Great Depression... things like work and productivity, and place less value on leisure.

Call me a dinosaur, but make it a T-Rex.

You're a dinosaur, but only because you told me to call you one. There's a whole industry out there that kids like this can make gobs of money. If they want to go in that field, then this is potentially huge for them.

There is a ton of money to be made in that industry when it comes to video game design, computer programming, computer engineering, and everything else that goes into it.

Can't say I've ever heard of someone being asked in a job interview about how much time they spend playing video games (unless it was for a video game company). So that just seems like an ignorant statement/question haha!

I don't think it's a sport either, but I think it's entertainment and entertainment pays. If those kids, like my brother, are smart enough and want to get in that industry, they will make far more than many of us and a lot of it could have been spurred from the hours and hours of gaming and learning the industry.

You're a dinosaur, but only because you told me to call you one. There's a whole industry out there that kids like this can make gobs of money. If they want to go in that field, then this is potentially huge for them.

There is a ton of money to be made in that industry when it comes to video game design, computer programming, computer engineering, and everything else that goes into it.

Can't say I've ever heard of someone being asked in a job interview about how much time they spend playing video games (unless it was for a video game company). So that just seems like an ignorant statement/question haha!

I don't think it's a sport either, but I think it's entertainment and entertainment pays. If those kids, like my brother, are smart enough and want to get in that industry, they will make far more than many of us and a lot of it could have been spurred from the hours and hours of gaming and learning the industry.

I am a dinosaur. My statements on this are solely my opinion and everyone is entitled to at least two, so I am not foaming at the mouth over this.

I get your point.

If I were to surmise some things from your answer...

1. You would be happy if your kid spent 40 hrs/wk playing video games.

2. That playing video games 40 hrs per week would make a positive impression on a potential employer in a job interview or would be a non-factor, neither positively or negatively impacting the impression the interviewer has of the job candidate were it to come up.

I was about to list some of the impressions that this would give me if I were the employer and discovered this about a job candidate but then remembered this is an actual case so I will not say what I had in mind.

The statement I placed in bold above goes to my point about the values of our culture. Entertainment is given way too high a priority in our culture. The fact that many entertainers and athletes are among the highest paid people in our country says that we value entertainment way too much. I think the engineer who figures out how to make some essential commodity or service more affordable so that the common person can well-afford it, or the medical researcher who discovers a cure for a deadly disease, or the first-responder who saves lives deserves to be rewarded financially far more than an entertainer.

But, given the values of our culture, we spend our money on entertainment (which includes sports) and so they reap the benefits in wages. Just because someone can make gobs of money doing something does not make it a worth-while venture or something good for our society. It's not that I think these things (video games) should not exist, but to invest that much time in playing video games, and then for so many people to invest so much money in the industry just shows our values are out of whack--IMO.

BTW, a possible scenario where there could be a question about how many hours a job candidate spends playing video games...

Potential Employer: Tell me about your hobbies.

Job Candidate: I enjoy playing XX online video game with my college friends.

Potential Employer: How much time do you spend doing this in a week?

Job Candidate: I guess it would be around 40 hrs.

Potential Employer: That's terrific. If I hire you would you consider training my son in XX online video game? He is trying to get a scholarship for college and his grades are too poor for merit scholarships and I told him the only way he'll make it to college is if he is recruited for the school's gaming team

The scenario above is purely fictional and any resemblance to actual people or a similar situation is entirely by accident. ;)

Yes, I am a dinosaur and I promise not to go any where near Clyde's lawn.

BTW again, I understand Clyde said that about me indicating I am like the proverbial elderly man yelling at the neighborhood kids.

Edited by oldgrappler

I think any time a high schooler can get his/her college tuition payed for, that's a good thing.

And if you have exceptional skills and work ethic, whether it be in athletics, academics, or video games, and you are rewarded, then there is a valuable lesson to be learned about the rewards of hard work. IMO

:lol: This is priceless. We're talking about playing video games. :lol:

These kids sound pretty bright and look to have their act together so I really don't have a problem with the amount of time they seem to spend on gaming. It seems to have worked out pretty well for them in the long run! If they were pot smoking slackers, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

These kids sound pretty bright and look to have their act together so I really don't have a problem with the amount of time they seem to spend on gaming. It seems to have worked out pretty well for them in the long run! If they were pot smoking slackers, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Hitting awfully close to home.

Bottom line - this may be the entertainment megatrend of the future. I don't begrudge these young men a bit for parlaying a game into scholarships and possibly lucrative careers.

I agree. If the video games interfered with their school work, then it'd be an issue. These kids seem to be productive members of society & have earned free (or discounted) education doing something they enjoy to do. If only we could all be so lucky. More power to them.

I know all four of these boys and they are very bright. I am happy for them if they can get their school paid for and wish them well with a future career (apart from gaming).

Having said that, gaming is a major waste of time. How many hours are spent on gaming when the time could be used for much more productive things, like reading, chores, and/or a job? The opportunity these four kids received is an anomaly. How many hours are wasted, not only on playing games, but also on developing better games when those same engineering smarts could be turned to something productive or to solve some of the major problems we have today, like clean energy, etc.?

I think this whole scholarship thing reflects poorly on the values of our society today.

I know, I'm Mr. Wet Blanket here, sorry everyone. I attribute my view to being raised by a parent who grew up during the Great Depression on a farm in rural Ohio. My Dad used to say, "Let me see your hands." I'd show them to him palms up and he'd say, "I have a shovel (rake, hoe, hammer) that will fit those. We've got work to do."

BTW, gaming ain't a sport.

I have to go now. I'm looking for a parade to rain on... :sour:

Hey dinosaur....

Let me introduce you to Matt Haag aka Optic Nadeshot.

NaDeSHoT - Net Worth in 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/16/technology/esports-call-of-duty-nadeshot-celebrity-success.html?_r=0

22 years old with an annual income of over $1 million dollars.

Yeah, gaming is a big waste of time.

FWIW, my son does his chores, maintains a low A, high B grade point average, plays 2 high school sports and still has time to play video games.

You are out of touch. The gaming industry is growing at a huge rate and those that are good at it will make a great living.

However, you're right about the scholarship anomaly. A very, very small percentage will get free rides in college. My son won't get a free ride, but he's a kid having fun playing a game. Through his online gaming, he's learned a lot about computers and has a big time interest in pursing that in college. He's already built his own computer with some guidance from me and another BGP poster.

Gaming is as much of a sport as any other sport you want to name. It takes long hours of practice to become elite(pro).

Congrats to the boys who received scholarships. As a parent of a gamer and a part time gamer myself, I can very much appreciate the time and effort you've put in to achieve this great honor.

If I were to surmise some things from your answer...

1. You would be happy if your kid spent 40 hrs/wk playing video games.

2. That playing video games 40 hrs per week would make a positive impression on a potential employer in a job interview or would be a non-factor, neither positively or negatively impacting the impression the interviewer has of the job candidate were it to come up.

I would not be happy with my kid playing 40/hrs a week. I would hope that he/she is well rounded and that my child is going to have a little athletic talent and be able to play 1-2 high school sports. However, I'd have nothing wrong with him/her playing as long as they got other things done, similar to @NamecipS son.

I'd hope that my son/daughter would be smart enough to have a better answer for that question because I taught them how to interview well.

I'd much rather my kid pursue employment in something they love, like video game design, than a job they hated. It's an extremely competitive industry to get into and I'd be extremely proud if I had a child that made a lot of money working in the video game industry. Also means they are probably way smarter than me, like my brother, who was a Governor's Scholar and went to grad school at Digipen in Seattle for computer programming/video game design (I forget the actual title of his graduate degree).

Had a fraternity brother at NKU, a few years younger than me, that was also a Governor's Scholar. 4.0 gpa every single semester. He was so good at Halo, traveled the country on weekends and in the summer for big tournaments. He'd leave Friday morning for Vegas and come back on Sunday with $5,000 - $10,000 more in his checking account. I want to say he was on the Gilbert Arenas team for a while, if I remember right. Was sponsored by an energy drink.

Had a "part-time" job were he would basically train other Halo players on how to be better at Halo. I always thought that was goofy but he was able to get people to pay him an hourly rate to basically teach them how to play the game.

Halo name was Elamite Warrior.

Don't know how anyone could argue against guys like him or my brother spending as much time on it as they wanted. I'd imagine you could say the same about these four guys as well.

In Asia they fill 20,000 seat arenas with people watching gaming competitions. You are going to see this type of thing in the US in the very near future.

Right after the US starts to watch professional soccer like they do in other countries.

@NamecipS, That's Mr. Dinosaur to you :) I'm just trying to figure out what period I am from. I thought it was the Cretaceous period (like the T-Rex), but I'm afraid it may be even earlier, perhaps the Jurassic or, as my kids suggest, the Triassic period.

Thanks for addressing some of the issues I raised beyond the four boys and their scholarships. I really am happy for them. They are very bright and will do well in whatever field they choose (I am acquainted with them).

Your son sounds like a good kid. With his involvement in extra curricular sports, etc., I doubt he is spending 40 hrs a week playing video games. Very good on his Dad for encouraging his interest in computers by helping him build his own computer.

FWIW, playing video games is not the issue with which I have a beef. The huge number of hours that many kids put into it is the point where I am critical. Legitimizing that waste of time is detrimental, IMO. This statement taken from the link about NaDeSHot is what I find objectionable:

As a rich pro-video gamer, Matt is definitely an idol for many young boys.

I am not impressed by a guy earning multiple millions of dollars for being a video game "pro." As I stated, it shows the twisted values of our society. The best that can be said about it is that it is at least an honest living. Haag isn't out selling drugs or knockin' over liquor stores. But on a list of activities/jobs that add value to society, video gaming is fairly low. Again, solely my opinion, though I think if this theory were tested, my point would be borne out. Wasted time leads to wasted talent.

I admit, I am the outlier on this one but the challenge Steven Jobs gave to Pepsi executive John Scully represents the point I am making:

"Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

Me? I'm gonna spend my time making unpopular comments on BGP. :facepalm:

I would not be happy with my kid playing 40/hrs a week. I would hope that he/she is well rounded and that my child is going to have a little athletic talent and be able to play 1-2 high school sports. However, I'd have nothing wrong with him/her playing as long as they got other things done, similar to @NamecipS son.

I agree

I'd hope that my son/daughter would be smart enough to have a better answer for that question because I taught them how to interview well.

I'd much rather my kid pursue employment in something they love, like video game design, than a job they hated. It's an extremely competitive industry to get into and I'd be extremely proud if I had a child that made a lot of money working in the video game industry. Also means they are probably way smarter than me, like my brother, who was a Governor's Scholar and went to grad school at Digipen in Seattle for computer programming/video game design (I forget the actual title of his graduate degree).

Good point about pursuing passion. It will make work and life more enjoyable. Also, note my comment after the first paragraph above. Those are my words in blue.

Had a fraternity brother at NKU, a few years younger than me, that was also a Governor's Scholar. 4.0 gpa every single semester. He was so good at Halo, traveled the country on weekends and in the summer for big tournaments. He'd leave Friday morning for Vegas and come back on Sunday with $5,000 - $10,000 more in his checking account. I want to say he was on the Gilbert Arenas team for a while, if I remember right. Was sponsored by an energy drink.

Had a "part-time" job were he would basically train other Halo players on how to be better at Halo. I always thought that was goofy but he was able to get people to pay him an hourly rate to basically teach them how to play the game.

Halo name was Elamite Warrior.

Don't know how anyone could argue against guys like him or my brother spending as much time on it as they wanted. I'd imagine you could say the same about these four guys as well.

I don't begrudge them earning money to help get through college