Officiating by Region

As I've watched games in different regions, it seems the way the games are officiated vary greatly from region to region. Does each region have a different understanding of the emphasis that they place on calling the game?

How do you prefer the game to be officiated? Call every tick tack foul or let them play, so the game has some flow? Do they call boys games differently than girls games?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that no region has a style that all officials stick to.

The 9th has officials who do not call the game in the same manner. Some "let 'em play" while others are call it "tight."

So IMO it's a myth.

Newbie to following the 9th, do the officials work in teams? My overall impressions is that they call a different game than the officials in the 10th. They don't seem to be as consistent from game to game. They also seem to favor the traditional power schools in the region when calling games, this is based on games I've seen in person this year.

Newbie to following the 9th, do the officials work in teams? My overall impressions is that they call a different game than the officials in the 10th. They don't seem to be as consistent from game to game. They also seem to favor the traditional power schools in the region when calling games, this is based on games I've seen in person this year.

IDK but the 3 refs working the Highlands/NDA game left me scratching my head about 10 times during the game. Scratching my head because I sit there wondering how in the world they think they saw what they just called. Can they really be that bad. Or maybe it is favoritism and your correct. That would certainly explain it. Be consistent for one. Its not that hard to do. Two, call the foul on the right player not one 15 feet away from the play. Not once but 2-3 times. Realize not one person in the stands in there to watch a referee. Finally get a pair and call your own game and not react to a coach calling it for you.

They do not work in teams.

IDK but the 3 refs working the Highlands/NDA game left me scratching my head about 10 times during the game. Scratching my head because I sit there wondering how in the world they think they saw what they just called. Can they really be that bad. Or maybe it is favoritism and your correct. That would certainly explain it. Be consistent for one. Its not that hard to do. Two, call the foul on the right player not one 15 feet away from the play. Not once but 2-3 times. Realize not one person in the stands in there to watch a referee. Finally get a pair and call your own game and not react to a coach calling it for you.

We must have seen the same game. Although it was very bad it did not cost NDA the game.

We must have seen the same game. Although it was very bad it did not cost NDA the game.

It was bad on both sides.

I try to never talk about the officials. Its part of adapting to the game. I tell my kids "You cannot control them, so focus on what you can control." I don't care how bad they are. I have been coaching AAU for a long time and I can really only think of 1-3 times that officials actually cost us the game and that is in hundreds of games with hundreds of officials. You can look at the end of a game or some instances throughout the game that calls didn't go your way, but you can also look back as an opposing fan and make the case the other way. Also, you can always look back in a game and see things that happened on the floor or in the game that could have kept your team from even being in a situation where an official can "cost you the game".

I'm not really talking about this game in particular...just in general.

Moving from region to region and official to official is part of the game. Do they all read the same rules...sure. But the human interpretation of those rules will always be a little different. If you play any competitive sport, adapting to the interpretation of the rules is part of it.

However, I will say that we have some officials that "need more experience". The ones that tend to leave me scratching my head (not really that many) seem to repeat themselves when I see them again. It's not an easy job by any means. I tried it and I stunk! (I'm great from the stands though!). But it takes a rare personality to be able to go out in front of a gym full of people knowing that they aren't really gonna make any of them happy by the end of the game! They take a lot of abuse and typically handle themselves very well.

I agree that I left scratching my head on some calls today as well. On both sides. I'm with the other poster, I really don't understand or see how they make some of the calls they do.

What I would like to know is are the officials evaluated on their performance as I'm sure 99% of people are on their jobs. They do get paid to do what they do so they should be accountable to somebody, or only when there is a complaint? I do appreciate the people that do this, but like RC said, some of them seem to repeat themselves the next time you see them. And God love them, there are a few that really need to hang it up. Some have been officiating since I played in junior high and I'm 51! No disrespect meant but I watched one game where one ref could barely make it from half court to the baseline, and if he did manage to get to the baseline if there was a break the other way the whole set was over by the time he made it back to half court! That scenario also could lead to missed calls or bad ones by the other 2 officials trying to make up for the lack of help from the third..just my opinion

You know, I don't buy this response anymore. I get why you say it and I hate when parents and fans shout at officials when they really have no idea what they are talking about. However, I would go out on a limb and say the average official makes more money a month during the season officiating than the average assistant coach receives in total for the entire season. Think about that. And think about the scrutiny given not only in an informal (fans/parents) sense to coaching staffs but the official (school administration) scrutiny as well.

There are some amazing officials out there (25%) then there are some solid officials (%50) then there are some poor officials (25%). Pretty much like there is in any other profession. You wouldn't look at someone who got a bad haircut from an unskilled barber and hand them an application for Great Clips. You would tell them to use a different barber.

What I would like to know is are the officials evaluated on their performance as I'm sure 99% of people are on their jobs. They do get paid to do what they do so they should be accountable to somebody, or only when there is a complaint? I do appreciate the people that do this, but like RC said, some of them seem to repeat themselves the next time you see them. And God love them, there are a few that really need to hang it up. Some have been officiating since I played in junior high and I'm 51! No disrespect meant but I watched one game where one ref could barely make it from half court to the baseline, and if he did manage to get to the baseline if there was a break the other way the whole set was over by the time he made it back to half court! That scenario also could lead to missed calls or bad ones by the other 2 officials trying to make up for the lack of help from the third..just my opinion

Yes. Officials are typically evaluated by the person who assigning games, many times multiple times through a season, often times brutally honest about skills.

Most things said so far are true, there's good, there's some not so much….it's a different kind of brutal hobby physically, mentally and emotionally.

As for calling it from the stands, a 360 view is completely different than a uni-dimensional view.

If you pay your money to get in, do what you want….if you want in on what's special about officiating….you only get that by coming on board….

You know, I don't buy this response anymore. I get why you say it and I hate when parents and fans shout at officials when they really have no idea what they are talking about. However, I would go out on a limb and say the average official makes more money a month during the season officiating than the average assistant coach receives in total for the entire season. Think about that. And think about the scrutiny given not only in an informal (fans/parents) sense to coaching staffs but the official (school administration) scrutiny as well.

There are some amazing officials out there (25%) then there are some solid officials (%50) then there are some poor officials (25%). Pretty much like there is in any other profession. You wouldn't look at someone who got a bad haircut from an unskilled barber and hand them an application for Great Clips. You would tell them to use a different barber.

I might tell them to cut their own hair.

Just like with any other job, the more qualified officials there are to choose from, the better the overall officiating "product" will be.

Yes. Officials are typically evaluated by the person who assigning games, many times multiple times through a season, often times brutally honest about skills.

Most things said so far are true, there's good, there's some not so much….it's a different kind of brutal hobby physically, mentally and emotionally.

As for calling it from the stands, a 360 view is completely different than a uni-dimensional view.

If you pay your money to get in, do what you want….if you want in on what's special about officiating….you only get that by coming on board….

The inconsistency is the only thing that bothers me and most people. I was sent a video clip of a game today at Conner. Ref calls a fingernail touch foul early in the game and by the video I'm not even sure she touched her. 30 feet from the basket. Now that player has to play the next 12 minutes at a cautious level. 2 mins later that same ref right in front of his eyes allows a girl from the same team to have two hands attached to a girl driving to the basket 8 feet away from the rim. That is a huge problem. In the same video a foul was called for a push off and there is 2 feet of separation from the players. how can he see a push that isn't there right in front of his eyes. Video doesn't lie. There is a test you can take. It shows a situation for a short time and them ask you what you saw. This should be mandatory to take and pass. I can say with confidence 75% of high school on down refs would fail that test.

The inconsistency is the only thing that bothers me and most people. I was sent a video clip of a game today at Conner. Ref calls a fingernail touch foul early in the game and by the video I'm not even sure she touched her. 30 feet from the basket. Now that player has to play the next 12 minutes at a cautious level. 2 mins later that same ref right in front of his eyes allows a girl from the same team to have two hands attached to a girl driving to the basket 8 feet away from the rim. That is a huge problem. In the same video a foul was called for a push off and there is 2 feet of separation from the players. how can he see a push that isn't there right in front of his eyes. Video doesn't lie. There is a test you can take. It shows a situation for a short time and them ask you what you saw. This should be mandatory to take and pass. I can say with confidence 75% of high school on down refs would fail that test.

This tells me all I need to know. What I hear you saying is that 75% of the basketball officials in high school cannot make judgement determinations during live ball play. Really ? 75% ? That's entirely ludicrous on your part.

I would suggest that if you truly believe that 75% of the officials that are in your region are not competent (based on your assessment) that you call Julian Tackett personally and express your concerns.