Holmes 41 Ryle 37

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught just a snippet of Holmes' practice this past Monday.

In those few minutes I could tell that the young man coaching them (I don't know him) was in charge and knew what he was doing. Their record upholds this.

Quite to the contrary of what I witnessed a few years ago when I also had the chance to catch a snippet of a Holmes practice that bordered on disgraceful, when a lady who I will not name was coaching them.

Coaching does matter!!!!!

I beg to differ. Coaching kept them out of the state tournament last year. His players are well coached in the summer and have been for many years.

And that "young lady" had very little to work with on a talent level as well as little support from administration. I believe this was more than a few years ago.

A good right now player for Ryle as well as future

I haven't seen Ryle this year yet. Saw Ryles 8th grader last year. How does she compare to Kennedy Igo, the 8th grader from Montgomery County? Do they play together in AAU? Have seen Igo play, she's a good player (especially in her district/on her team), entire offense seems to run through her already.

I beg to differ. Coaching kept them out of the state tournament last year. His players are well coached in the summer and have been for many years.

And that "young lady" had very little to work with on a talent level as well as little support from administration. I believe this was more than a few years ago.

Simply my first impressions of both coaches.

I'll stand by my opinion on the "young" lady. The lunatics were running her asylum.

I haven't seen Ryle this year yet. Saw Ryles 8th grader last year. How does she compare to Kennedy Igo, the 8th grader from Montgomery County? Do they play together in AAU? Have seen Igo play, she's a good player (especially in her district/on her team), entire offense seems to run through her already.

Igo is bigger stronger faster (2015/2016). Ryles 8th grader is a really good player but not the same physically. Igo is already getting D1 looks I think Ryles is a couple years away from her's ( but she will get them ).

Maddie Scherr's high school numbers are not going to be anywhere near Kennedy Igo right now. Maddie plays with a talented and experienced senior group of players this year and will not have huge offensive numbers. Maddie's primary role at the varsity level is to be a true point guard and run the show. But don't let the her high school numbers fool you. She is one of most complete players in her class in the state of Kentucky.

Both players are now with Kentucky Premier. I would love to see the two of them get a chance to play together this summer. Very good players!

I am curious, insofar as I am somewhat aware of the Class of 2020 in the state of Kentucky, but I have never seen Igo play with the teams that have dominated that age group (Focus, Royals, Legacy, Shining Stars), has she always been in the Class of 2020 and is she an "older" 8th grader. No offense intended there, but I know that many of the top players in that class are "older" (i.e. some are already 15), and Maddie Scherr is not. Again, no offense intended, but in trying to benchmark where their development is I think it is a fair question as to if Igo is already 15 or when she will turn 15.

Igo plays with Kentucky Premier. She is, undoubtedly, one of the best 2020's in the state of Kentucky.

I believe you. I have never seen her play in person. I have seen perhaps 15-20 others that classify that year, including Maddie Scherr, that I would say are among the best 2020's, and some of them are already 15 and some of them are barely 13. I was just wondering where she falls relative to the rest of them.

Igo plays with Kentucky Premier. She is, undoubtedly, one of the best 2020's in the state of Kentucky.

So when I hear "I've never seen her and have seen all these others that have dominated that age group in the state"...is this a case where this KY Premier didn't play the in state competition, therefore others may not have seen the group of kids that Igo plays with? I know some feel AAU is the top, but I know there are other elite organizations and a lot of AAU teams never see that group of kids. Does that apply here?

I would say there are several 2020's across the state that are still relatively "unknown." I had not seen igo play until this past fall. I have never seen (to my knowledge at least) the young kid at Ryle who has been referred to in this thread. I am sure (from the comments) that she is also talented.

I am sure there are several 2020's who didn't play on one of the teams that played at AAU state. Several organizations (ky premier and others) don't play in those events.

I don't want to be the cause of this thread veering any farther off course. Someone brought up Kennedy Igo so I asked how old she is. The discussion of whether Kentucky Premier plays AAU or doesn't is not appropriate IMO in this thread.

You brought up that you've never seen her, even though you are super familiar with that age group. Your question led me to believe that you felt you never saw her because she may be a different age. So you asked the age. My answer is, maybe it has nothing to do with age and you never saw her because she played on a elite team that those teams didn't play against. So in my opinion, it was relevant to the conversation.

Igo is bigger stronger faster (2015/2016). Ryles 8th grader is a really good player but not the same physically. Igo is already getting D1 looks I think Ryles is a couple years away from her's ( but she will get them ).

I am sure that both girls are very good, but I should say upfront, I have been a big fan of Maddie for sometime now and I saw her play this year vs Holmes. Maddie's quickness and speed is very impressive. Against probably one of the fastest teams in the state, she continually kept herself in front of the girls defensively and handled the ball excellently. Her dribbling is pretty unbelievable actually. According to Maxpreps, Maddie has 3 blocks this year. She had a great block against Holmes (called a foul, but was not in my opinion). She can really get high. Her athleticism stands out, even against Holmes. To think there's another 8th grader with her speed seems unlikely.

So, I looked up Kennedy Igo on Maxpreps and Hudl. It's all I have to go on, but it had some video highlights. Maddie is undoubtably faster and quicker. Maddie is listed as 5'8", I couldn't find a height listed for Igo, but from the video she seems about the same.

So is Igo faster/quicker? - no way. Bigger? - maybe, but barely. Stronger? - probably (Maddie is pretty skinny).

"Looks" from D1 schools can mean lots of things. So I'm unsure what/how D1 schools have contacted Igo. But I do know that WKU coaches called Maddie this summer and had her come visit the school and meet the coaches. To just show up at a UK camp and have a coach talk to you...is that really a "look"? It's certainly possible that OSU and UK coaches themselves have actually called Igo, I do not know. Just wondering what exactly that means?

Comparing stats would never work as Budman mentioned. Maddie starts on a team with 6-7 talented seniors and is a legitimate top 20 state ranked (Maxpreps) team. Her job is not to score but run the point well. Igo plays for a team that's 2-4 with losses to Woodford County (1-3) and Madison Southern (3-3) and has 2 other 8th graders, 3 freshman and 3 sophomores on the varsity roster. And from what I've read, the offense runs thru Igo.

To be clear, Kennedy Igo is surely a great player and as already mentioned one of the best 2020 girls in KY. Though, to dismiss Maddie as behind Igo, or not yet to her level, I believe is a mistake and incorrect. Maybe they are close to equal, I don't know. But I would agree with the Paul Biancardi's (ESPN national recruiting director) analysis of Maddie in his tweet, "Attention women's basketball programs: Maddie Scherr has skill and IQ that is off the charts for her grade".

I am sure that both girls are very good, but I should say upfront, I have been a big fan of Maddie for sometime now and I saw her play this year vs Holmes. Maddie's quickness and speed is very impressive. Against probably one of the fastest teams in the state, she continually kept herself in front of the girls defensively and handled the ball excellently. Her dribbling is pretty unbelievable actually. According to Maxpreps, Maddie has 3 blocks this year. She had a great block against Holmes (called a foul, but was not in my opinion). She can really get high. Her athleticism stands out, even against Holmes. To think there's another 8th grader with her speed seems unlikely.

So, I looked up Kennedy Igo on Maxpreps and Hudl. It's all I have to go on, but it had some video highlights. Maddie is undoubtably faster and quicker. Maddie is listed as 5'8", I couldn't find a height listed for Igo, but from the video she seems about the same.

So is Igo faster/quicker? - no way. Bigger? - maybe, but barely. Stronger? - probably (Maddie is pretty skinny).

"Looks" from D1 schools can mean lots of things. So I'm unsure what/how D1 schools have contacted Igo. But I do know that WKU coaches called Maddie this summer and had her come visit the school and meet the coaches. To just show up at a UK camp and have a coach talk to you...is that really a "look"? It's certainly possible that OSU and UK coaches themselves have actually called Igo, I do not know. Just wondering what exactly that means?

Comparing stats would never work as Budman mentioned. Maddie starts on a team with 6-7 talented seniors and is a legitimate top 20 state ranked (Maxpreps) team. Her job is not to score but run the point well. Igo plays for a team that's 2-4 with losses to Woodford County (1-3) and Madison Southern (3-3) and has 2 other 8th graders, 3 freshman and 3 sophomores on the varsity roster. And from what I've read, the offense runs thru Igo.

To be clear, Kennedy Igo is surely a great player and as already mentioned one of the best 2020 girls in KY. Though, to dismiss Maddie as behind Igo, or not yet to her level, I believe is a mistake and incorrect. Maybe they are close to equal, I don't know. But I would agree with the Paul Biancardi's (ESPN national recruiting director) analysis of Maddie in his tweet, "Attention women's basketball programs: Maddie Scherr has skill and IQ that is off the charts for her grade".

I have seen both girls work out and having watched both in person. IMO Igo is bigger, stronger, if they played 1 on 1 I believe Igo wins head to head. Now they both do different things for their current teams and we are talking about 8th graders who are both awesome players with lots of potential. If the question is today who is better head to head 1 on 1 it's Igo.