December 8, 201510 yr I loved that show! (The original with Robert Conrad, not the movie with Will Smith). How about the song by Kool Moe Dee?
December 8, 201510 yr That's your right and if you feel it is right for you that's what you should do. I hope you feel the same way about those that don't live a gun-free life. I'm fine with people who own guns owning them. But I'm no sitting duck needing the protection of someone with a gun by default. I get really disturbed by those who own guns saying they feel like they will protect those of us who don't like they're doing us some sort of favor or that we aren't equipped to defend ourselves.
December 8, 201510 yr Serious question: what do all of you believe of people like me, who choose to love their lives gun-free? I hope that in the event that MtnRef's worst nightmare comes true and the doodoo and the fan collide, that you find me, or Bert, or RTS, or John Anthony, or Jumper Dad,,,I could go on, but you get the crux of my goofy comment.
December 8, 201510 yr I'm hearing "Wild Wild West" in my head. Make it stop! I heard this several times as various states passed concealed carry laws and upon the repeal of the federal gun ban a few years back. The wild west scenario never came to pass.
December 8, 201510 yr So you're upset he's asking people to responsibly help protect others in the county that don't have a gun? Or you're upset he's asking you to not hesitate to call in with information if you think someone is a threat? Being as that a handful of the terrorists from 9-11-2001 actually lived in Boone County for quite some time before those attacks, it's not as though he's stretching. Folks should we mindful of their surroundings and able to respond/report if need be. Boone Co isn't a resort, it's a community and as much as today's society isolates themselves, citizens should remember a community can overcome a great deal with unity. First of all, I am not upset. I can disagree without being emotional or upset. Now, I thought I was clear. He can but I don't agree with him asking everyone to carry. Simple as that. The other stuff is all talk anyway and reaks of profiling.
December 8, 201510 yr You do realize the sheriff quoted someone else encouraging citizens to responsibly take advantage of their right to carry a firearm? I didn't read anywhere that you have a responsibility to carry a firearm. If I missed it please let me know. It sure reads to me that IF you have one and have been trained you have that responsibility to use it as such. Now he is more direct with his deputies. Not sure they have to do what he says while they are off duty. Not saying they disagree with him or don't support it. I don't like the tone. So be it. Sorry if you can't see the other side of things.
December 8, 201510 yr Relax. He isn't saying you have to get a CCDW or for you to carry a firearm. He's asking those that have applied or have a CCDW to be willing to protect...well....people like you. He also asks everyone to be vigilant. This isn't the 50s anymore. Proactive is smart. Guru, I like your Sheriff! Wow you guys are sensitive to disagreement. Also, I don't remember asking for your help nor do I want a bunch of citizens out there being vigilanties to protect me. Trust me, I am ok and will carry on.
December 8, 201510 yr How? It read to me you equated the President with the Sheriff, Having fun with you guys is almost too easy. Bottom line is I don't think giving people more guns will solve anything and make it really really worse. There are millions that lean on both side of this. I'd love to compromise, but it won't happen.
December 8, 201510 yr It read to me you equated the President with the Sheriff' date=' Having fun with you guys is almost too easy. Bottom line is I don't think giving people more guns will solve anything and make it really really worse. There are millions that lean on both side of this. I'd love to compromise, but it won't happen.[/quote'] You don't seem as left as other leftist on here, you know the full Obama/Hillary bumper stickers, hey break into my car I'm defenseless type. But let me ask you this, how do we teach the left that inanimate objects can't kill people?
December 8, 201510 yr Serious question: what do all of you believe of people like me' date=' who choose to love their lives gun-free?[/quote'] Don't care what you do. Hope you feel the same about me.
December 8, 201510 yr That is the song stuck in my head...and has been since I posted earlier. It's kind of growing on me. :lol2: But I did love the TV show! Hilarious, if Will Smith only knew how his song is stuck in your head now.
December 8, 201510 yr You don't seem as left as other leftist on here, you know the full Obama/Hillary bumper stickers, hey break into my car I'm defenseless type. But let me ask you this, how do we teach the left that inanimate objects can't kill people? I am not sure I can give an answer you will understand or agree is probably better. It is not for me to teach anyone anything. I will say that this country has more guns by far than any other country and we have more people killed by guns than any other. That is a fact I can't argue against. I pay about as much attention to the far left as i do the far right, which is not much. Therefore, you can't teach them anything as they feel they are already learned. A real problem. My thinking has changed since debating on here over the years and I have moved from no guns to understanding the right to own guns. I have not moved to where I would ever think anyone other than military and some law enforcement needs anything that shoots more the a few rounds at a time. I have no idea what to call these guns, it doesn't matter. I see no need to have a gun that has a magazine that can shoot thirty bullets in a few seconds. No if someone want to have their hunting guns and put a gun under their mattress, go for it. I could care less. Guns don't kill people, I get that but people that have guns do. People with cars kill people too, however, their intended use is entirely different and that makes a huge difference to me. Can you help me explain to someone that thinks that persons on the "no fly" list shouldn't be seriously vetted or allowed to carry a gun?
December 8, 201510 yr I have often wondered how law enforcement people feel about conceal carry. I have a friend in law enforcement and I once asked him how he felt about people carrying a firearm. He said he didn't like it because when he first arrives on the scene of a crime and you have a citizen with a gun in addition to the firearm carried by the criminal it just adds to the number of firearms he has to have to worry about. In other words, the crook would have one and another person would have one and the LE would have to account for that firearm and make an assessment whether it was a threat to him. Regarding the letter, I am glad to know that in Boone County concealed carry is welcomed. I am not sure I agree with Sheriff Helmig that having a CCW permit obligates you to protect other people. I do agree that it is good as self-defense. I also think it can be a life saver for others in a situation like San Bernadino or other crime situation. But I think a call like this puts those who have CCW permits in a quasi law enforcement roll. Those who have conceal carry are not trained enough to act as law enforcement. This can create situations where civilians interject themselves in a way that is dangerous. They just don't have the training. If a person wants to carry a firearm for personal protection, fine, but no way do I want them to carry a firearm and feel obligated to protect other people. This puts a burden on them that they are not equipped to handle.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.