December 7, 201510 yr Just like no one saw a Kenton County deputy hit a deer in his cruiser last week? Anything folks put on the Internet is there for a while. If this statement deters one person because they realize Boone Co is serious about folks ability to protect themselves and their neighbors then I'd say it's done its job. Big difference between a hyped local news story that is a video clip and posting a written statement that people have to read. I challenge you to find one person incarcerated that has said: "if only I had paid attention to that letter put out by the Sheriff I wouldn't be here".... You are giving way too much credit to this as a crime deterrent. It's a PR stunt by the Sheriff. I have no issue with the letter, it has an intended audience, but that audience is not the criminal or terrorist element
December 7, 201510 yr I wonder how many 911 calls will come in every time a Muslim family in Triple Crown goes to the Kroger in Union. The sheriff may want to hire more double-dippers to man those switchboards. Probably A LOT less calls than they'll take about the suspicious black male in the neighborhood.
December 7, 201510 yr Wasn't there an article online recently that the State was going to look into Helmig double-dipping? Is it possible this was done to get some heat off of him, or is the timing coincidental?
December 7, 201510 yr I'm hearing "Wild Wild West" in my head. Make it stop! I loved that show! (The original with Robert Conrad, not the movie with Will Smith).
December 7, 201510 yr I shop at the Union Kroger 4 or 5 times a week and at least twice a week I talk with one of the managers in the store about what is going on there. Everything is running smooth there. On a side note, we are all excited about the Super Kroger they are getting ready to break ground on. I guess since the Kroger's liquor store is a part of Krogers, then you do shop there 4-5 times a week!
December 7, 201510 yr Without commenting on this particular letter from Mike Helmig I do have to wonder. We have the death penalty and people still murder. We have prison and people still commit major crimes. We have carry laws and yet homes are still broken into and cars are still stolen and people are still robbed. I'd argue deterrents aren't really deterring. Criminals still do what criminals do knowing full well what the consequences may be. I'd say "punishment" is a better word. The deterrents you mention have to do with getting caught. Most people don't think they will get caught. I think knowing your potential targets of a shooting, robbery, assault, etc are armed and ready to fight is absolutely a deterrent. I mean, most if not all of these shootings have taken place somewhere where the shooter is confident they can shoot and shoot and shoot without fear of being killed, at least until police arrive.
December 7, 201510 yr I applaud the Sheriff. I like his proactive approach. It is all of our responsibility that have training and/or a CCDW, and are proficient with their weapon, to help protect those that can't protect themselves.
December 7, 201510 yr Author I guess since the Kroger's liquor store is a part of Krogers, then you do shop at there 4-5 times a week! I was in the Liquor Store once last month. I like the ladies that work in there.
December 7, 201510 yr Author Probably A LOT less calls than they'll take about the suspicious black male in the neighborhood. Amen! Too many people went way overboard making suspicious black male calls to the police. Everyone likes to "blame" the police for everything but the suspicious black male stuff was way worse on the part of the citizens.
December 7, 201510 yr Author Wasn't there an article online recently that the State was going to look into Helmig double-dipping? Is it possible this was done to get some heat off of him, or is the timing coincidental? Who knows, who really cares, they are two separate issues and this one is the important one.
December 7, 201510 yr We do not have a responsibility to carry a firearm, trained or not. That is like saying I have the responsibility to be a Christian or a Democrat or a... Thank God it is an opinion, granted a popular one in Boone Co., but just an opinion. This tough talk will and these actions will only make things worse. When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer everything begins to look like a nail. You do realize the sheriff quoted someone else encouraging citizens to responsibly take advantage of their right to carry a firearm? I didn't read anywhere that you have a responsibility to carry a firearm. If I missed it please let me know.
December 7, 201510 yr We do not have a responsibility to carry a firearm, trained or not. That is like saying I have the responsibility to be a Christian or a Democrat or a... Thank God it is an opinion, granted a popular one in Boone Co., but just an opinion. This tough talk will and these actions will only make things worse. When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer everything begins to look like a nail. Relax. He isn't saying you have to get a CCDW or for you to carry a firearm. He's asking those that have applied or have a CCDW to be willing to protect...well....people like you. He also asks everyone to be vigilant. This isn't the 50s anymore. Proactive is smart. Guru, I like your Sheriff!
December 7, 201510 yr Author Relax. He isn't saying you have to get a CCDW or for you to carry a firearm. He's asking those that have applied or have a CCDW to be willing to protect...well....people like you. He also asks everyone to be vigilant. This isn't the 50s anymore. Proactive is smart. Guru, I like your Sheriff! I like my Sheriff a lot too!
December 7, 201510 yr Boone County is not the Wild West, the standards are very high here. And here I thought RM was just singing old Will Smith songs.
December 7, 201510 yr The deterrents you mention have to do with getting caught. Most people don't think they will get caught. I think knowing your potential targets of a shooting, robbery, assault, etc are armed and ready to fight is absolutely a deterrent. I mean, most if not all of these shootings have taken place somewhere where the shooter is confident they can shoot and shoot and shoot without fear of being killed, at least until police arrive. I did hear of a local story from late last week where a home invasion / robbery was thwarted because of a couple of issues: 1) Neighbors paid attention to suspicious (not known) vehicle in driveway 2) Neighbors physically investigated the suspicous vehicle and confronted the occupants (also didn't believe their reason for being on site) 3) Neighbor exited his vehicle with a visible firearm End result: when confronted by a neighbor with a gun, alledged suspects got in car, drove through yard and around other obstacles to get out of the area. I am a firm believer in community oriented policing of this manner
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.