December 8, 201510 yr I hope that in the event that MtnRef's worst nightmare comes true and the doodoo and the fan collide, that you find me, or Bert, or RTS, or John Anthony, or Jumper Dad,,,I could go on, but you get the crux of my goofy comment. You're No. 1 on my speed-dial, big guy, should the Forces of Evil invade Kentucky.
December 8, 201510 yr I remember when we (we being all law enforcement in Boone County) transitioned from shot guns in our cars to AR-15s in our cars. The bad guys took notice immediately and it was often a conversation that I had with many "bad guys" from around the Greater Cincy area and beyond. In other words, the word got out real quick, the Police in Florence/Boone County are ready for anything that comes down the block. I would add some additional because it was true and I wanted the bad guys to know (after all the citizens of Boone County/Florence hired me to protect them and I took that responsibility very serious) that the AR-15 they see in my car is just the tip of the iceberg. I told them mine was semi auto but we have several SWAT members with fully automatic versions of the AR-15 and we have other fully automatic weapons for tactical use in our cars. Additionally some of the elite Officers/Deputies had multiple assault weapons with them at all times. It was a DEFINITE deterrent. We'll disagree on this one. Why would one gun's bullets be OK for a criminal but another not be ? Defies logic. How many criminals think they're going to get caught? They don't. If they did consider that they might be caught jail by itself would stop 90% of them. Your weapons had very little real impact on people committing crimes IMO.
December 8, 201510 yr The deterrents you mention have to do with getting caught. Most people don't think they will get caught. I think knowing your potential targets of a shooting, robbery, assault, etc are armed and ready to fight is absolutely a deterrent. I mean, most if not all of these shootings have taken place somewhere where the shooter is confident they can shoot and shoot and shoot without fear of being killed, at least until police arrive. We'll disagree. Criminals are betting on their victims not being able to defend themselves. Even today with all of the laws allowing citizens to carry and protect themselves crime is still an issue. What % of houses in this country do you believe have guns in their homes?
December 8, 201510 yr Do you think crime would stay the same or decrease if we took away all of what you mentioned above? Honestly? I only give honest answers. As I've stated in the last couple of posts I do not believe people who commit crimes do so after doing an inventory of the risk vs reward. They do not think they're going to get caught. Prison is not real to them. The DP is not real to them. Getting shot by the homeowner is not real to them.
December 8, 201510 yr We'll disagree. Criminals are betting on their victims not being able to defend themselves. Even today with all of the laws allowing citizens to carry and protect themselves crime is still an issue. What % of houses in this country do you believe have guns in their homes? I have no idea and I was mainly talking about shooting incidents. Most mass shootings, if not all, have been at locations where one would expect little to no resistance right?
December 8, 201510 yr I only give honest answers. As I've stated in the last couple of posts I do not believe people who commit crimes do so after doing an inventory of the risk vs reward. They do not think they're going to get caught. Prison is not real to them. The DP is not real to them. Getting shot by the homeowner is not real to them. It will become real when they feel the pain after breaking in and getting some hot lead.
December 8, 201510 yr [video=youtube_share;8QjZY3WiO9s] I saw this a couple of years ago. I am certain many of you overestimate your abilities in a crisis situation. Look at the news police officers are struggling today and they have crisis training. I surmise Concealed Carry Training isn't that thorough.
December 8, 201510 yr It will become real when they feel the pain after breaking in and getting some hot lead. And so will the electric chair. That doesn't seem to have stopped murders.
December 8, 201510 yr I wonder if the sheriff is making any progress on getting the Boone board of education to reconsider its decision not to allow teachers to carry in schools. I hope so. "Gun-Free Zones" = "Unprotected Target Zones"
December 8, 201510 yr I saw this a couple of years ago. I am certain many of you overestimate your abilities in a crisis situation. Look at the news police officers are struggling today and they have crisis training. I surmise Concealed Carry Training isn't that thorough. There are some issues I have with that video. Number 1, they all had to sit in the same seat. #2, the Officers clearly knew where they were upon entering the room. I'm not saying it would work perfect, but those scenarios were designed for them to fail imo.
December 8, 201510 yr There are some issues I have with that video. Number 1, they all had to sit in the same seat. #2, the Officers clearly knew where they were upon entering the room. I'm not saying it would work perfect, but those scenarios were designed for them to fail imo. I think that was probably for safety issues. But that did not change their actions. They should have found cover and then attempted to use their weapon, but they don't have that training. All 3 tried to access their weapon and it slowed them.
December 8, 201510 yr I think that was probably for safety issues. But that did not change their actions. They should have found cover and then attempted to use their weapon, but they don't have that training. All 3 tried to access their weapon and it slowed them. I understand that and I'm not arguing that point. However the shooter(s) wouldn't always know who has a gun and in a crowded room there's a chance they'd have more time.
December 8, 201510 yr Wow you guys are sensitive to disagreement. Also, I don't remember asking for your help nor do I want a bunch of citizens out there being vigilanties to protect me. Trust me, I am ok and will carry on.Who's sensitive to disagreement? Might want to think that through... So.....
December 8, 201510 yr Serious question: what do all of you believe of people like me, who choose to love their lives gun-free? I don't question it at all. You have the right to be gun free if you choose. Just as I have the right to own firearms.
December 8, 201510 yr I'm fine with people who own guns owning them. But I'm no sitting duck needing the protection of someone with a gun by default. I get really disturbed by those who own guns saying they feel like they will protect those of us who don't like they're doing us some sort of favor or that we aren't equipped to defend ourselves. That's fine. But somehow I think if you're in a room with terrorists or some crazed individual and no police are there, you'd be praying a good guy with a gun might be able to save you and the others in the room.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.